Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Problem recording mixes
I've been using Virtual DJ for years now & NEVER really had an issue until yesterday. I was recording a new mix yesterday and for whatever unknown reason virtual DJ won't save anything I record! Has anyone had this problem??? I really hope i can get this figured out ASAP

Posted Sun 11 Feb 24 @ 4:34 pm
hard to troubleshoot issues without actual details to troubleshoot with.
no idea what your sound setup is, what you were trying to record, file sources, with or without controller, and so on.
could be something simple could be something complicated. can't even know where to start without more info.

Posted Sun 11 Feb 24 @ 7:04 pm
"Won't save" as "won't create a file" or as "the file is silent/empty" ?
It's quite different as you can probably understand.

If it won't create a file make sure that you have chosen to save your recorded file on a location that doesn't require elevated access by your OS.

For instance, on modern Windows versions, applications cannot write directly to C:\ drive. They need elevated access. On the other hand, they can write just fine on C:\Temp (if the folder exists, or you create it)
More or less similar rules apply to MAC OS as well.

If file gets created but it's empty (silent) then we need further details, such as if you're using a controller, your audio setup, e.t.c.

Posted Mon 12 Feb 24 @ 9:10 am
wildcountryclub wrote :
hard to troubleshoot issues without actual details to troubleshoot with.
no idea what your sound setup is, what you were trying to record, file sources, with or without controller, and so on.
could be something simple could be something complicated. can't even know where to start without more info.

I gotcha....understood. To start I have a pc w/ Windows 10. I'm running virtual dj thru my Roland DJ-202 controller. The controller is very responsive, no issues there. I was trying to record an hour long mix of some roller skate music. I have it set up to record directly to a folder with all the rest of my work. As i go thru the motions of recording, sometimes i mess up and i start all over. And usually there are several files in the folder with the same name just a number in parentheses after each one. I don't usually check the files until after I've gotten the mix just right. So a decent amount of time will pass before i even pull up the folder. I have the folder set up to pull up via Virtual DJ but i usually go to the explorer folder if I need to move it or copy. Also on the window that pops up to record the file name is present and I ALWAYS click start before starting and click stop when i'm finished. I click on open in explorer and it just opens the desktop. I go to the folder where it should be and there's a file there with the correct name that I know I recorded but it's some kind of document instead of an mp3 file. Hopefully that gives you enough details to be of some assistance.
Just fyi, I got fed up with dealing with this so I've uninstalled and re-installed the app....idk maybe that will fix this problem....

Posted Fri 16 Feb 24 @ 2:52 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
"Won't save" as "won't create a file" or as "the file is silent/empty" ?
It's quite different as you can probably understand.

If it won't create a file make sure that you have chosen to save your recorded file on a location that doesn't require elevated access by your OS.

For instance, on modern Windows versions, applications cannot write directly to C:\ drive. They need elevated access. On the other hand, they can write just fine on C:\Temp (if the folder exists, or you create it)
More or less similar rules apply to MAC OS as well.

If file gets created but it's empty (silent) then we need further details, such as if you're using a controller, your audio setup, e.t.c.

I guess it's that it won't create a new file. It shows that it's saving but when i go to open said file, it doesn't exist anywhere. I have it set to record directly to a specific folder as i usually do with all my work. IDK why it's not creating anything new.....
I even tried just recording for just a few seconds and still nothing. I'm really at a loss for words for this.....smh

Posted Fri 16 Feb 24 @ 2:55 am
Update!!!! I just figured out what the problem was and no longer need any help! I had a colon typed into the file name and didn't know that I can't do that and that's why it wouldn't record lol smh. Thanks anyway you guys

Posted Fri 16 Feb 24 @ 3:14 am
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
It would be nice for Virtual DJ to show error messages for conditions like this.

Posted Fri 16 Feb 24 @ 3:43 am
Anyone using a computer should really be aware of what they can and can't use as a file name.

Usually the operating system warns you if you try.

I just tried recording with VDJ on my Windows 11 system, and although I wasn't warned, the OS substituted an underscore for the colon.

Without further information, I don't understand how the file would have been created with an illegal character in it, or how the file type would have changed.

Actually, reading again, there seems to be conflicting information. In one post it's claimed the file is there, but in another that it's not.

Posted Fri 16 Feb 24 @ 9:33 am
Just FYI - if you add .wav to the file that saved out and take out the . you put initially, it will recover the mix!

Posted 7 days ago @ 7:46 pm