Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: “Slipping” the Beat Grid?
Hello!

I’ve written a tool that will generate beat grids for Virtual DJ. It does a pretty good job, but sometimes the grid may be a beat off. I’m still debugging why the grid is out of phase in some cases, but it would be nice to be able to slide the entire grid by a beat in the BPM Editor instead of having to move individual markers. This can be tedious if the tool drops a lot of markers.

I may be missing or misunderstanding something about VDJ’s beat grids, so if there’s an easy way in the BPM Editor to slide the entire grid in one shot I’d love to know how to do so. Thanks for any insight!

Posted Mon 08 Jan 24 @ 8:05 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
adjust_cbg +1

Posted Mon 08 Jan 24 @ 8:09 am
locodog wrote :
adjust_cbg +1

Thank you locodog! I’ll give that a try in the morning.

Posted Mon 08 Jan 24 @ 8:37 am
This appears to only work for the first beat marker and not all of them. As a simple example, let's say I have "Phrase" beat markers at the first down beat and every four beats after. All of those beat markers are off by a beat.
adjust_cbg + 1
only seems to move the first down beat marker and not the remaining beat markers. I'd like to move all of the markers by one beat.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding or not being clear.

Posted Mon 08 Jan 24 @ 6:43 pm
adjust_cbg +1% will do the trick

Posted Mon 08 Jan 24 @ 6:50 pm
Thank you but still no luck. I think it might be because the tool is putting “Phrase” (i.e. 1 of 4 is checked in the bpm editor) beat markers throughout the track where it thinks the start of a new bar is. adjust_cbg seems to only operate on the first beat marker in this case…I think. What may be happening is that the tool is effectively creating a bunch of “new” beat grids within the track by using “Phrase” markers. I’ll try some different approaches and report back.

Thank you all again for your help as I stumble through this!

Posted Tue 09 Jan 24 @ 3:18 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
fyi, adjust_cbg modifies the grid point for the current position, so if you move further in the song it would move the beat grid point for that section.

Posted Tue 09 Jan 24 @ 6:21 pm
Adion wrote :
fyi, adjust_cbg modifies the grid point for the current position, so if you move further in the song it would move the beat grid point for that section.

Thank you for that clarification!

Posted Wed 10 Jan 24 @ 12:15 am