Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Troubleshooting Pioneer DJM S9 Crossfader Issue while using VDJ
karz10PRO InfinityMember since 2010
Hey all, I have had weird issue on gigs lately where the S9 cross fader won't transition smoothly from one deck to another, there are dead spots where one side won't play at all when it should, or as you're fading away from a deck you suddenly hear a high spot from the deck you're leaving, and no matter what setting I put it on, it sometimes will still play music from the other deck even though you moved the fader all the way to the other side.

I've tried to blow out the fader with compressed air, I have my mixer half apart now, was gonna try to lube the fader, there's no visible defects or significant dirt anywhere that I can see, but I haven't taken the fader all the way out yet, coz it's kind of a pain, you have to remove the volume faders to get the cross fader all the way out.

Anyway, I thought I would check in here to see if anyone ever had this problem. I looked at the S9 utility but it only allows calibration of the end points, which wouldn't solve my dead spot and high spot issues, even if I got rid of the incorrect side playing through when the crossfader is all the way to the other side.

Is there anything in VDJ that may need to be dealt with? I think it's a hardware issue because after I cleaned it the first time it tested fine at the house for over an hour, but as soon as I played out, it started acting up again, and I couldn't even mix with volume faders because of the dead and high spot issue, the sound was never even or sometimes not present depending on where the cross fader was, so I had to use my back up SB controller, which worked fine, but I'd prefer to use my tables or cdjs and a real mixer.

Any help appreciated.

Posted Mon 11 Dec 23 @ 9:17 am
It IS a hardware issue, as the audio mixing is done by the hardware (and seeing the crossfader move on screen is just an added bonus)

So, if the crossfader has audio drop outs, then it's the physical crossfader that developed a fault.

Posted Mon 11 Dec 23 @ 2:42 pm
I don’t see any physical damage to the crossfader so what’s the likelihood someone can fix it or should I just buy a new crossfader?

Posted Mon 11 Dec 23 @ 11:10 pm
Do you see the electrons when they travel through wires ? :P

Just replace the crossfader. At the long run it will be cheaper than trying various other things to "fix" the broken one, only to brake again after a few days/weeks. Not to mention the frustration of a working crossfader going bad in the middle of a gig!

Posted Tue 12 Dec 23 @ 7:19 am
Wow! Just doing a Google search for S9 crossfader, there are so many people posting about crossfader issues with the S9.

Might be best to fit an innoFader.

Posted Tue 12 Dec 23 @ 11:11 am
Although I admit the innofaders are excellent, I've used/owned a S9 (5 years) and more recently a S11 (about 7 months) without hiccup, and I found the Magvel Pro faders to be very nice to play with (the design itself is pretty good and a lot of scratch/club DJ swear by it worldwide).
I wouldn't advise fitting an innofader into those mixers for that reason and because you would lose one main thing: external tension adjust control on the front of the mixer.

Maybe he bought the mixer used? Maybe it was just a bad fader? Lots of variables here that could be the reason, but I'd still vouch for a Magvel Pro.

Posted Tue 12 Dec 23 @ 3:30 pm
DJ VinylTouch wrote :
Although I admit the innofaders are excellent, I've used/owned a S9 (5 years) and more recently a S11 (about 7 months) without hiccup, and I found the Magvel Pro faders to be very nice to play with (the design itself is pretty good and a lot of scratch/club DJ swear by it worldwide).
I wouldn't advise fitting an innofader into those mixers for that reason and because you would lose one main thing: external tension adjust control on the front of the mixer.

Maybe he bought the mixer used? Maybe it was just a bad fader? Lots of variables here that could be the reason, but I'd still vouch for a Magvel Pro.

I may replace it, but I got the mixer new, just have had it for awhile, but I'm not a heavy handed scratcher and it spends it's life in a hard shell road case coffin when not in use, so I was just surprised it started mesisng up...

Posted Wed 13 Dec 23 @ 5:25 am
Yep unfortunately nothing is perfect.
Replacement is good...tons of videos on how to do it (the fader is very accessible). Not sure about the fader availabilitu itself though.

Posted Wed 13 Dec 23 @ 3:13 pm