Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Spotify - Page: 1
Hey, I was wondering if I'm DJing with Spotify and virtual DJ at the same time how do I crossfade from Spotify to virtual DJ?
Like, for example if virtual dj on my laptop and Spotify on my cell phone?

Posted Mon 04 Dec 23 @ 11:19 am
You shouldn't be using Spotify for DJing. That's the reason why it's not available as a service in VDJ.

Posted Mon 04 Dec 23 @ 11:28 am
SepatroPRO InfinityMember since 2019
groovindj wrote :
You shouldn't be using Spotify for DJing. That's the reason why it's not available as a service in VDJ.

But that was not his question. He might have several good reasons to use Spotify.

user27178010 wrote :
Hey, I was wondering if I'm DJing with Spotify and virtual DJ at the same time how do I crossfade from Spotify to virtual DJ?
Like, for example if virtual dj on my laptop and Spotify on my cell phone?

You could simply plug your phone's outfit into your controller and control the cell phone volume with one fader. Of course, you miss the smart features such as beatgridding etc - you simply use it as an external audio source. I do that all the time with some pre-recorded mixes as backup.

Posted Mon 04 Dec 23 @ 8:20 pm
It doesn't matter what his question was. DJs cannot use Spotify for public performance.

Sepatro wrote :
He might have several good reasons to use Spotify

There's a better reason NOT to use it. Spotify cannot be used for public performance. They withdrew from allowing DJ use years ago.

Posted Mon 04 Dec 23 @ 11:24 pm
He never said it was for public DJing.

Posted Tue 05 Dec 23 @ 5:27 am
groovindj wrote :
It doesn't matter what his question was. DJs cannot use Spotify for public performance.

That goes for Tidal as well. The first sentence in section 4 of the Tidal terms and conditions says:

The TIDAL Service shall be for private use only and use of the TIDAL Service in commercial or public settings is not permitted.

Source: https://tidal.com/terms

Posted Tue 05 Dec 23 @ 5:50 am
Ive been using this software at home. I dont make money with it. I dj as a hobby. I have a full time job. I was just trying to get that understood. Im still new at all this.

Posted Tue 05 Dec 23 @ 7:11 am

Posted Tue 05 Dec 23 @ 7:17 am
As @sepatro wrote, you can connect your phone to RCA inputs on your mixer/controller. Then you can mix that with songs playing from VDJ.

If you really want to DJ with streaming music, a better solution would be to switch to a streaming provider that is supported in VDJ.

Posted Tue 05 Dec 23 @ 7:17 am
Sepatro wrote :

He never said it wasn't either.

No matter how much you try to wriggle around it, the fact is that Spotify do not want their service to be used by DJs.

As I already stated (and this is backed up by press releases online), in 2020 Spotify removed the use of their service in DJ software. All DJ software.

There are services available specifically for DJs. Spotify is not one of them. Period.

Posted Tue 05 Dec 23 @ 10:02 am
groovindj wrote :
Sepatro wrote :

He never said it wasn't either.

No matter how much you try to wriggle around it, the fact is that Spotify do not want their service to be used by DJs.

As I already stated (and this is backed up by press releases online), in 2020 Spotify removed the use of their service in DJ software. All DJ software.

There are services available specifically for DJs. Spotify is not one of them. Period.

On this forum we try to help VDJ-users, we do not provide legal council to Spotify for free. Period ;).

Posted Tue 05 Dec 23 @ 10:18 am
Sepatro wrote :
On this forum we try to help VDJ-users

By suggesting that they do something they shouldn't be doing?

Much more helpful IMO to advise the correct way of doing things.

Posted Tue 05 Dec 23 @ 10:46 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
I'm pretty sure Spotify can't forbid you to mix between Spotify and virtualdj at home

Posted Tue 05 Dec 23 @ 1:20 pm
Adion wrote :
I'm pretty sure Spotify can't forbid you to mix between Spotify and virtualdj at home

Exactly my thoughts.

Posted Tue 05 Dec 23 @ 4:45 pm
I stand by what was written in my initial reply, as it was simply stating facts about use of the service. No mention was made in the first post about personal use, so I responded appropriately based on info given.

Posted Tue 05 Dec 23 @ 8:24 pm
OK guys thanks for all the help. What kind of cable do I need to hook up my cell phone to the virtual DJ software so I can crossfade back-and-forth and also do I need to go in virtual DJ and change any settings for the soundcard thats in the ddj400? I don't understand since the DDJ 400 just puts out sound. How will I get the sound to go inside of it since it doesn't have a input or does it? I thought maybe I had to have a four channel mixer.

Posted Wed 06 Dec 23 @ 11:05 pm
I had done some research. I think its called a piggy back cable.

Posted Wed 06 Dec 23 @ 11:16 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
use your pc's input

Posted Wed 06 Dec 23 @ 11:18 pm

Posted Wed 06 Dec 23 @ 11:21 pm
My laptop just puts sound out.

Posted Wed 06 Dec 23 @ 11:55 pm
80%