Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Crashes on VDJ 2023
I've experienced a few crashes on my M1 Mac in recent months, but not while gigging. When it hapns, vdj reopens on it's own and continues the song that was playing, which is a plus i guess, but all changes in the sidelist, automix and even skins are gone.

It happened again a lil while ago as i tried to add a song to a virtual folder from the info pane and this isn't the 1st time i've seen that hapn thus i suspect it is what triggered the crash. It should be noted that i did have vdj running for over 9 - 10 hours on automix before the crash.

And another observation is there are times when i start vdj, i get a pop up stating the database was corrupted and it's prompting a fix. Everything seems normal after.

I was just wondering if anyone else had this experience.

My system is a 14'' Macbook Pro 2021/ M1 Pro/ 16gb RAM/ 1 TB using an internal library. I upgraded to Sonoma now but i 1st saw these crashes on Ventura.

Posted Tue 21 Nov 23 @ 2:18 pm
If you were online the crashlog should be uploaded to the dev team automatically.

Posted Tue 21 Nov 23 @ 2:21 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
If you were online the crashlog should be uploaded to the dev team automatically.

So i've heard but this has been going on for a few months and with all the recent updates, this seems to be ongoing a bit longer than i would expect.

Posted Tue 21 Nov 23 @ 2:33 pm
Hopefully one of the team will look at your account and comment if anything found.

Posted Tue 21 Nov 23 @ 2:36 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
The most recent crash seems to be while opening the Tag Editor, there are a few older ones that do appear to be happening when selecting a playlist.
Not really clear why that would happen, but will investigate further.

Posted Tue 21 Nov 23 @ 3:45 pm
Any update?

Posted Mon 11 Dec 23 @ 1:41 pm
PatrickWhite02 wrote :
Any update?

Haven't heard anything

Posted Tue 12 Dec 23 @ 10:49 am
Beroj23PRO InfinityMember since 2022
Please try to disable AnalyzeOnView, if enabled. For me it works.

Posted Tue 12 Dec 23 @ 11:43 am
Just a wild hypothesis, but might your database be syncing with iCloud?

In recent versions of MacOS, they've enabled iCloud sync on the Documents folder by default and it has wreaked havoc with a lot of my programs. A problem can arise if a program like VDJ tries to write a change to a database file while iCloud is backing it up. Most of the time it works fine, but under just the right combination of circumstances things can get corrupted.

Posted Tue 12 Dec 23 @ 11:35 pm
Beroj23 wrote :
Please try to disable AnalyzeOnView, if enabled. For me it works.

Quite a useful feature. Will try

Posted Wed 13 Dec 23 @ 12:00 am
christianwheel wrote :
Just a wild hypothesis, but might your database be syncing with iCloud?

In recent versions of MacOS, they've enabled iCloud sync on the Documents folder by default and it has wreaked havoc with a lot of my programs. A problem can arise if a program like VDJ tries to write a change to a database file while iCloud is backing it up. Most of the time it works fine, but under just the right combination of circumstances things can get corrupted.

I highly doubt it for 2 reasons. The problem also shows up on my windows laptop which isn't connect to icloud in any way, and the 2nd reason is that VDJ 2023 don't hv any folders located in the documents anymore.

Posted Wed 13 Dec 23 @ 12:05 am
Hi, unfortunately I also came across the same message today. At the end of a session of cleaning traces and reorganizing data. I would like to point out that I am very careful not to do any activities outside of virtual dj and at the end of any maintenance activity on my archive I have the database cleaned and backed up always internally within virtualdj.
However this evening when I restarted I received the same distressing message.
I allowed it to recover automatically and everything seems normal.
However, this scared me a lot because I can't understand what action I performed to try this message.

My system is a 16' Macbook Pro 2021/ M1 Pro/ 16gb RAM/ 1 TB using an internal library.
​macOS Ventura 13.2.1

I would be grateful for information and suggestions are often around and my nightmare is to see a message during a performance.

Thank you all

Posted Sat 02 Mar 24 @ 4:00 pm
Adion wrote :
The most recent crash seems to be while opening the Tag Editor, there are a few older ones that do appear to be happening when selecting a playlist.
Not really clear why that would happen, but will investigate further.

So I too am having a back and forth with Jimmy on this very same issue (crash on Tag Editor opening). It only started happening, on a very sporadic basis, with v2023 b7921.

This was my original forum post on it, for cross reference.

In my case, I was using tracks obtained from a reputable record pool, with minor minimum sanitation of tags using Kid3 before adding/using it in VirtualDJ.

Posted Sat 02 Mar 24 @ 4:07 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
I suppose it's not consistently happening with the same file every time either?

Posted Sat 02 Mar 24 @ 4:40 pm
Not meaning to hijack the thread....no, even after crashguard restart, I was able to edit its tag and play it successfully in all cases.

Posted Sat 02 Mar 24 @ 6:32 pm
DJ VinylTouch wrote :
Not meaning to hijack the thread....no, even after crashguard restart, I was able to edit its tag and play it successfully in all cases.

Well in the last 2 updates i didn't see any pop ups with this, so i trust the problem seem to have been fixed.

Posted Mon 04 Mar 24 @ 12:06 pm
No worries man, I've honestly not experienced crashes before this update, but your situation seemed eerily similar to mine (weird crash doing a regular operation with restart), and this happened 3 times in the space of a week.

My music is obtained from, what I believe is, reputable sources (I don't believe it's a shady file problem, unless fingers are being pointed to those sources).

Posted Mon 04 Mar 24 @ 12:39 pm