Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: external storage combining, databases?
I store my tunes on an external drive use it at home then carry it to the club,
As you likely know if you use an external drive vdj places a folder on it that has the database for that drive,

My question is let's say I have 2 external drives "A" and B"
Both have different tunes on them and of course both have their own darabases,

Now let's say i want to combine both those drives onto one larger drive
Can the databases be combined so as to not loose tags, color coding etc?

Many thanx

Posted Tue 24 Oct 23 @ 5:43 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
just copy the music files across inside vdj, it will make a new database with everything it copies.

Posted Tue 24 Oct 23 @ 5:46 pm
Locodog,
So you mean I plug "A" and "B" drives and my 3rd bigger drive into computer and use vdj to copy A and B to that one large drive and vdj will take care of the new combined database,
Sounds sweet,
Ty

Posted Tue 24 Oct 23 @ 6:27 pm
I don't know you guys, but for the first time I've been struggling with my database. Runinng and syncing my external drive between Mac and PC.
As last resource I decided to use the Restore back up withing VDJ, boy was that a mistake now is even worst.

I have found that most of my fristgrid have been moved, one click can fix that, but I have lot's of files that I don't remember that had serveral flexible grids; that is lost.

Most of the Reggaeton songs have been doble on there BPMs, from 90 to 180, 80 to 160 and so on, I just selected all of them, open the tag editor and half them, can Imagen the same has happen to Hip Hop, R&B... to be honest I haven check those drive folder yet.

Found that lots of my hotcues, colors, years, genre, rating were deleted (but if you open the tag is there, below the field with a little arrow that you can click and recover, but reload tag from the browser won't do anything) , also found that most of the tags were changed, were the filename was "Madonna - What Ever Title" but the tag says "Michael Jackson - Beat it" but the real song is Madonna.

Been working with the database for 4 days already, I lost years of preparation I think atleast 30% of the work.. Well that's better than loosing 100%, but then again, I don't know exacly what It got lost, damage, changed or reconfigure.

Enough of the winning, just sharing my frustrated experience.

This is what I will do

Custom button that loads the next track on the browser, go to the first hot cue and set the first beatgrid. While playing I will color and hotcue all the tracks that lost its color coding (made a special PAD with my hotcues color coding) . Those tracks that I can identify while playing that needed beatgriding, will put aside on a virtual folder so I can work with them at home and so on.
For some time I will do manual backups of the database.xml and other folders and filters. I will stop jumping my external drive form PC to MAC... and syncing it back and forward between systems.

Know I have a question that maybe one of the VDJ Guru's on this forum can help me understand.
If I have this line of code in the database.xml on my PC

<Song FilePath="F:\01- MY CRATES\Hip Hop\1980\Spyder-D Featuring D.J. Doc - I Can&apos;t Wait........

And I have the same folder structure on Mac and PC, but in the MAC the drive name is 2TBWD, why if I change the coding to:

<Song FilePath="/Volumes/2TBWD/01- MY CRATES\Hip Hop\1980\Spyder-D Featuring D.J. Doc - I Can&apos;t Wait.......

I loose all taging configuration: color, hotcues (most hotcues), firstgrid etc, etc. also VDJ tends to anaylze the song again. wondering on this one.

Posted Thu 26 Oct 23 @ 3:48 pm
A light at the end of the tunnel;

Upgraded one of my laptops HD from 1TB to 2TB, lucky me I did not formated the replaced drive. Using an enclosure I conected the drive to one of the computers and pull out a VDJ back up from October 10, 2023.
I almost forgot about this drive, lucky me I remember.

Replace the actual database.xml for the October 10, 2023 one and everything when back to normal.

Posted Thu 26 Oct 23 @ 8:52 pm