Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Connecting tracks
So lets say I have a song like The Honey Drippers Impeach the president which has been sampled many times how can link those tracks together? Lets say I play a track with sample there will also be a list of other songs that used that sample in a list separate from the browser becomes available? So if I want to go on a run with those songs I can but If I don't the main browser is still there also?

Posted Wed 30 Aug 23 @ 4:22 am
Choose a field that you don't really use (e.g. comments or composer) and put the Original - Artist name> - <Original title name> in there. You can also do the reverse for the sampled song, put the <Sampled song artist name> - <Sampled song artist title> in that same field (comman separate if there are more than one). Also make sure VirtualDJ is considering that field in its search.

When you search for either song, they all come up.
You can also use prefixes (e.g. Sampled:. ..., Remake:...) or some other scheme with filter folders/buttons on the fly as well to help with this.

Posted Wed 30 Aug 23 @ 3:29 pm
That doesnt do what I want.

Posted Thu 31 Aug 23 @ 2:51 am
Fjj70Home userMember since 2020
I see 2 things that seems impossible for me (at least in the current versions):
1. There is no automatic ways to find samples in the songs (I guess you imagine something like an auto-Shazam to detect the sample used in the songs).
To work around this. I am doing like explained by DJ VinylTouch above (using the comment field with the prefix 'cover' and coloring the song to see that something interesting is written inside de tag editor).
You may prefer to use the Remix field as it is visible when playing ;-)

2. There is only one browser window.
How do you want to access to this separated list ?
Something like a tab in the sideview (aside of SideList, Sampler, AutoMix) or more like a Filter Folder ?

Posted Thu 31 Aug 23 @ 3:48 am
Fjj70 wrote :

1) there sort of 3 ways:
a) All fields in the Tag Editor can be added as browser column, so NO need to open the Tag editor to see an field for a track.

b) add the Tag Editor field to be displayed in the Info Tab .. so that field will be visible when selected in the browser.

c) Virtual DJ unlike most software allows for modification of the Skin, so one could add what ever field to the track info area on the deck. (no need to use remix field)

2) One can add any Filter folder (or virtual folder, histor folder, playlist.. etc) to the sidebar.
Its done easily with the Sidebar's "add shortcut" button. which looks like:

just ONE click: if the filter folder appears in the browser, then just click the "Add Shortcut" button in the sidebar.

Almost nothing in VDJ is impossible ! (did say "Almost")

Posted Thu 31 Aug 23 @ 4:35 am
Fjj70 wrote :
1. There is no automatic ways to find samples in the songs (I guess you imagine something like an auto-Shazam to detect the sample used in the songs).
To work around this. I am doing like explained by DJ VinylTouch above (using the comment field with the prefix 'cover' and coloring the song to see that something interesting is written inside de tag editor).
You may prefer to use the Remix field as it is visible when playing ;-)

2. There is only one browser window.
How do you want to access to this separated list ?
Something like a tab in the sideview (aside of SideList, Sampler, AutoMix) or more like a Filter Folder ?

No I already know the samples. Im just trying to group them in a way that if I play any of those songs it'll show the other songs I labeled

Posted Thu 31 Aug 23 @ 4:42 am
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
That doesnt do what I want.

I agree it doesn't do exactly what u want, namely this:

Quote :

Lets say I play a track with sample there will also be a list of other songs that used that sample in a list separate from the browser becomes available?
but If I don't the main browser is still there also?

But it achieves this goal:

Quote :

So lets say I have a song like The Honey Drippers Impeach the president which has been sampled many times how can link those tracks together? Lets say I play a track with sample there will also be a list of other songs that used that sample

Most of the times I try to find a software agnostic solution as much as I can to isolate from a hard dependency on any one software.

To really achieve what you are descibing completely (generate such an on demand list based on track selection), you'll still need a manual tag mechanism, but in conjunction with a filter folder pinned to the side list. I'm not well versed enough in the filter syntax to know if/how to get field info from the track into filter (or if/how to use vdjscript within the filter). Maybe @locodog knows? If it isn't possible then maybe it's a good feature request.

Posted Thu 31 Aug 23 @ 4:44 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Why ask me? The reply is the same as the previous 4 times. I made the plugin already, it's called "sticky"

Posted Thu 31 Aug 23 @ 6:21 pm
Ive used sticky but it kind of mucks up my grouping field because I actually use the grouping field to denote songs used in my DJ events. Like I have 500,000+ files in my music library I use the grouping field to label tracks I wish to have in my mobile DJ collection example Goodtimes - Chic grouping field is ClassicR&BHot. I do all this labeling on my home desktop but once I populate the grouping field its copied to my DJ laptop using FreeFileSync into My ClassicR&B folder on the laptop. So let's say Rappers Delight which grouping field has ClassicHipHopHot changes to ClassicHipHopHotGoodtimes - Chic with no separator which I rather not have. Now if it added a separator like ";" which is how I separate multiple grouping field entries. I rally choose not to ask help in certain situations because my lack of understanding of certain programming seems to frustrate people.

Posted Fri 01 Sep 23 @ 5:40 am
locodog wrote :
Why ask me? The reply is the same as the previous 4 times. I made the plugin already, it's called "sticky"

Exactly what I was thinking....

Posted Fri 01 Sep 23 @ 2:29 pm
Locodog has giving me a big part of this feature and I thank him so much. Now if I could get that second half its gonna be on.

Posted Thu 16 Nov 23 @ 5:38 am