Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Pioneer DJ PLX-CRSS12 turntable with digital interface - Page: 1

Posted Tue 01 Aug 23 @ 8:52 am
"A bit" ??? :P

Posted Tue 01 Aug 23 @ 8:58 am
OK, really expensive. I was trying to be nice!

Posted Tue 01 Aug 23 @ 9:00 am
As long as VirtualDJ supports it eventually...I suspect I'll see a lot of these popping up in my future endeavors.

Posted Tue 01 Aug 23 @ 3:35 pm
Maybe in the clubs you work in. Where I am you're lucky if there's a power socket not hanging off the wall.

Posted Tue 01 Aug 23 @ 3:38 pm
As much as I love my Denons these could be my new gotos...

Posted Wed 02 Aug 23 @ 1:50 pm
Been watching some of the reviews and they look dope. They've basically revolutionised the turntable.

Posted Wed 02 Aug 23 @ 2:04 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Been watching some of the reviews and they look dope. They've basically revolutionised the turntable.

I don't think they have. Most of what is done there is already achievable with a Rane Twelve (minus the ability to play real records) or a Reloop RP 8000 (where phase would be needed to replicate the DVS timecode sending but is limited by battery power).
Outside of tonearm + DVS signal built in, the only thing they've really added is the magclip with adjustable pressure, which helps with warped vinyl + magnetic pincher within the spindle of the turntable, but outside of that, promotes (imo a bad practice of) heavy-handedness with scratching. There are already spindle record weights on the market (but probably not as precise as what can be achieved with the magclip + this turntable).
But I would say, putting the ability to do everything turntablewise (DVS + Regular Vinyl, no external piece) was an excellent move by them.

I get the feeling InMusic had this as a next iteration step/obvious deficiency and may have held it back to see response/have something to promote in the next iterarion/other reasons, and Pioneer wanted to close that gap before they did it.

Posted Wed 02 Aug 23 @ 3:19 pm
Well they have to the point it's all in one unit.

Posted Wed 02 Aug 23 @ 3:47 pm
Yep you wrote the response while I was updating mine to say that....excellent move by them, and I feel they had to do it now because it was natural for Rane to follow up with this...they only missed the actual vinyl playing from the Twelve MK2.
I'm surprised Pioneer didn't have HID record control on the new units...but it's something they could easily add in a firmware update.

Posted Wed 02 Aug 23 @ 3:50 pm
The previous Denon VL12 turntable was a bit of a mare though. Not sure if In-Music actually know what they're doing or what customers they're trying to attract.

It's a complete mishmash mess of products between Numark, Denon and Rane right now.

Posted Wed 02 Aug 23 @ 4:04 pm
Yep to me they tried to reposition as follows:

Rane = Turntablists/other vinyl enthusiasts products

Denon = club/mobile professional setups (with special focus on standalone)

Numark = beginner + mobile setups

Based on that understanding (which may be flawed) the VL12 naturally would have fit as a Rane product to me, but they did it under Denon strangely.

Posted Wed 02 Aug 23 @ 4:12 pm
My question is will it be compatible with VDJ? I guess I'll be reporting back sometime in the future as I've just ordered one. I guess we will find out.

Posted Sun 08 Oct 23 @ 6:54 am
I've just received my PLX-CRSS12 and I'm happy to say it is an amazing turntable. The motor is powerful and it feels a bit stronger than the PLX 1000 in my opinion. It made some of my worst sounding records sound better and eliminated any scratches I would hear on the records, so the vinyl functionality is as advertised. Now to the timecode portion. It is compatible with VDJ but the midi functions do not work as of yet. I must say there is a bit of drift, but nothing too major. Hopefully there will be an update to the software that uses the midi functions. There probably is a way to map it, but I don't have time nor technical expertise to map it myself. If you are an audiophile and want a high quality deck to play your records on, and you have the money, I would say purchase one. However, if you're not going to play vinyl and just want a digital vinyl option, I would go with a rane 12 or just buy a phase adapter.

Posted Sat 14 Oct 23 @ 7:50 pm
PLX-CRSS12 is now officially supported in latest EA build (7716).
For "Digital Vinyl" you will need to use Serato "Application" mode on the PLX-CRSS12.

PS: Even for "Digital Vinyl" you still need a DVS compatible sound interface since the unit does not send MIDI/HID data of the platter rotation, but instead it plays a DVS signal stored in it's own firmware.

Posted Mon 16 Oct 23 @ 7:07 am
Oh that's a bummer.

Posted Mon 16 Oct 23 @ 10:46 am
It's similar to how Rane Twelve MKII operates in DVS mode.
What I cannot understand is why both Rane and Pioneer don't offer a sound interface through the USB connection.
I mean, if you connect the USB cable with the computer to get the pads working, why not also provide "half" DVS interface (2in 2 out) for it ?
Even just a 2 in (no out) would be extremely helpful. The deck would transmit it's signal digitally through the USB bus, and the user would just have to use a "regular" audio interface/controller/mixer to complete the set.

Posted Mon 16 Oct 23 @ 10:57 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
That's what they can iterate to over the next 5 years and call it PROGRESS!

Posted Mon 16 Oct 23 @ 11:22 am
LOL.
Yes, for the "legendary" MKII model! :P

Posted Mon 16 Oct 23 @ 11:27 am
Pioneer never change. Always a disappointment somewhere.

Posted Mon 16 Oct 23 @ 11:33 am
69%