Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Settings for LoudMax to give output similar to competitors
I noticed that there was discussion of loudness differences between VirtualDJ and other competitor's software, and how compression/maximization may be the reason for such differences in other software.

I saw a nice youtube video posted by @klausmogensen on using the LoudMax maximizer with VirtualDJ:

The one thing I didn't readily get from the video, is specific settings to approximate the output from competitor software.
What are the settings people use for this (e.g. zeroDB, LoadMax attack threshold, LoudMax output dB)?

Posted Tue 18 Jul 23 @ 7:41 pm
i set zeroDB to -6 and use this in loudmax and i am more than happy with it

this is just what i like I'm sure you could push the compression more but not what i am after.
Also all my music is run through platinum notes which probably makes a difference.

**** NOTE: this is running it on the master output so I'm sure wouldn't work well if you run with this on deck FX

Posted Tue 18 Jul 23 @ 7:59 pm
Thank you...this is useful. I was planning to use it an effect on the master output (doesn't readily seem logical otherwise).

Posted Tue 18 Jul 23 @ 9:28 pm
Do you know if LoudMax has the ability to save configuration at all?

Posted Tue 18 Jul 23 @ 9:52 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
like any other effect it will save settings in a .ini file.
That .ini is used any time the fx is loaded anew.

Posted Tue 18 Jul 23 @ 10:06 pm
my ini file for it looks like this in case your having issues just paste the values in and it will mirror mine on next start

[autoparams]
Slider Thresh 0=3416
Slider Output 1=4030
Slider Fader Link 2=0
Slider ISP Detection 3=4095
Slider Large GUI 4=0

and yes the values get saved when i change them so your's should as well

controllers that use external mixer have to run it on the decks is why i mentioned that, I had no idea what type you have.

Posted Wed 19 Jul 23 @ 12:51 am
Thank u @locodog and @wickedmix for your answers I found that settings were saved when I tried it.

Also @wickedmix I found the effect was applied successfully (there was a clear loudness difference with it on) to at least the headphone cue output of the DJM S11 my trials (tested at night at home, will test with master output tomorrow) so I guess it works with external mixers allowing for send/return fx on the master output?

Posted Wed 19 Jul 23 @ 2:36 am
maybe VDJ could include its own settings for adjusting compression levels (for those who need it) instead of using other software

Posted Wed 19 Jul 23 @ 7:56 am
Yes, I made the video at the top, because some asked for it. But like I say in the video it's not recommended to do it

C the T-Rex DJ wrote :
maybe VDJ could include its own settings for adjusting compression levels (for those who need it) instead of using other software

VDJ delivers a clean none-boosted none-compressed none-loudness output - just like any DJ software (and any music player, really) should do
But Serato has messed this up so bad for so long, that people now things that's Serato's boosted Loudness-like output is how things should be
You can then choose to mess VDJ up too if you like, by using a plugin such as Loudmax. It's certainly not recommended if you want a clean output, since it won't be clean anymore. But you can do it

But to answer your question: No VDJ should certainly not do that by default

Posted Wed 19 Jul 23 @ 8:04 am
i agree, but since there is a discussion from some users about this, it could be made by choice (i.e an extension) and certainly not by default. Personally, i wouldn't mess with the sound since i find it very good

Posted Wed 19 Jul 23 @ 8:17 am
C the T-Rex DJ wrote :
i agree, but since there is a discussion from some users about this, it could be made by choice (i.e an extension) and certainly not by default. Personally, i wouldn't mess with the sound since i find it very good

I also find it good that VirtualDj respects the original sound, but I also realize that people and places have their preferences (even if it is contrary to output quality), and I do play occasionally with mainly Serato users and I notice the difference (I end up adjusting zeroDB and/or fiddling with the master output volume level on the mixer if I have room to do so), so I started this thread to educate myself and capture that education for others on how to bridge that gap.

Maybe a new youtube tutorial could be added on the VirtualDJ page for this (not sure if it's a robust consideration, as the solution still relies on third party plugin(s) to do the job)? With mixers having internal switchovers between laptops (no external, second channel to manually boost) and sharing that mixer with users of other software, it feels kind of important enough to address, but maybe that's just me.

It would be nice if this could be captured internally by the software (inclusion of an optional maximizer/compressor on output), but I understand if that is not desired. The decision isn't wrong either, just that more needs to be done on the DJs part to address it.

Posted Wed 19 Jul 23 @ 2:06 pm
I vote no for a built in adjustable compressor/limiter - because one of the advantages VDJ has over the competition is the ability to use VST plugins, so we have our own free choice of plugin to use, rather than being stuck with something built in.

Posted Wed 19 Jul 23 @ 4:28 pm
@groovindj I agree that everything can be solved with enough effort, but there is a beauty with simplicity/optional availability with minimum effort as well, especially when your intended audience may not be tech saavy (and, at least in my circle, most of the DJs I interact with are not that deeply knowledgable and love just knowing there are minimum settings/manual intervention to make it work) or even know where to start looking for the solutions.
I would highlight that I was hinting at it being optional (potentially implemented as an in-house effect as well, like the Ableton Link extension). You can always not use it and use your preferred plugins as well.

Posted Wed 19 Jul 23 @ 10:28 pm