Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: advice on a new controller
DJRobyPRO InfinityMember since 2004
just wondering what high end controller you would recommend as i am thinking of replacing my vms4.

i instantly fell in love with the Roland 808 via you tube with the drum machine built in and the overall sophisticated layout. i know the 808 has been around for a while now. is there any 4 channel controllers just as good?

thanks for your input.

Posted Sun 28 May 23 @ 5:27 am
SepatroPRO InfinityMember since 2019
Yes, I am very happy with the Roland DJ-808. Really great controller, with many inputs/outputs, hardware FX, etc

I bought it mainly because of the built-in TR808, but in all honesty I do not use it much, simply because VDJ offers a lot of sampling possibilities and I rather use a limited number of pre-recorded drum loops to spice up my sets. Nonetheless, this TR808 is still available and is a great bonus.

Overall the DJ-808 feels good, heavy, solid, easy to manipulate, and looks great. Go for it!

Posted Sun 28 May 23 @ 6:57 am
There is no other controller with a native step sequencer built in
However that feature is sort of "bolted on", so it doesn't have much to with the DJ software the controller part controls - in this case VDJ

Other that that the Pioneer DDJ-1000 is very popular, and I'm sure it's successor the new Pioneer DDJ-FLX10 will be too
Then there is the New Rane FOUR, if you don't want to go for Pioneer like everyone else :)

Finally I'll mention the Reloop Mixon 8 Pro, because I personally really like the high end Reloop controllers
However I don't think that is supported in VDJ yet, but I'm pretty sure it will be at some point

Posted Sun 28 May 23 @ 7:01 am
thanks for your feedback!!

Posted Mon 29 May 23 @ 5:55 pm
If you're looking to use something like a Maschine+ or an Akai MPC alongside VDJ, you can do this via Ableton Link. https://www.ableton.com/en/link/

It's not necessary to involve Ableton Live software either.

Posted Mon 29 May 23 @ 7:03 pm
What type of DJ are you? Cutting and scratching, edm, open format. Did you start djing on controllers or turntables? Do you use effects heavily?

Posted Tue 30 May 23 @ 2:19 am
i started djing on tech 12's in highschool with a limited vinyl collection then when it first went digital i decided to change to a controller. I love turntables to the end but for my dj needs i think a controller would be enough. i'm disappointed that the roland 808 is so expensive its almost 2 grand us dollars!

Posted Fri 02 Jun 23 @ 4:39 pm
So bigger jogs fits you? Whats your budget?

Posted Mon 05 Jun 23 @ 11:05 pm