Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Track Analysis Slow
I just downloaded Virtual DJ for the first time in years - looking for alternatives to Rekordbox and trying to emulate my workflow on VDJ.

I tried analyzing tracks and it is *painfully* slow. It does one track at a time.

I read in another post that it could be hardware-related and that VDJ will assign 1 core per track that it's analyzing. I use an AMD 3960X Threadripper with 24 cores and it still goes 1 track at a time.

Is there a setting I don't have enabled somewhere that will let VDJ use my computer's hardware properly?

Posted Thu 02 Mar 23 @ 5:58 pm
BPM Analysis should indeed use all your physical CPU cores -1
Are you sure that you followed the proper procedure for doing BPM analysis ?
Perhaps you got confused with Stems analysis which of course is done one track at the time as it's a way too resource heavy task ?

To perform BPM analysis you can use one of the following two methods:
1) Select a few tracks, right click on one of them and select Batch->Analyze for BPM etc
2) Select a few tracks and drag them on the "Automix" (Playlist) window. All tracks that have not been analyzed yet, will automatically start analyzing.

Posted Thu 02 Mar 23 @ 6:03 pm
Thank you for the reply!

Yes, I highlight a few tracks, then right click - Batch - Analyze for BPM, and it only analyzes one track at a time.

I would assume that it would analyze 24 (or potentially 48) tracks at a time considering my hardware, which is what Rekordbox does.

Again, I'm new to VDJ so maybe there is a setting that I'm missing?

Posted Thu 02 Mar 23 @ 6:45 pm
Hoping for any kind of assistance here - I would love to start using VDJ but the time it takes to analyze tracks is holding me back and I'm sure it's not VDJ's fault!

Posted Fri 03 Mar 23 @ 7:11 pm
If you want to analyze the songs (i.e. several together) did you load a song into a player?

Just a request...

Posted Fri 03 Mar 23 @ 9:04 pm
@ALPHABLUEOFFICIAL you say you're analysing tracks - from where?

Are they tracks on your hard drive that you've purchased?

If you're trying to analyse multiple tracks from Tidal for example, then yes it is indeed very slow. I've raised this before on the forum. For some reason VDJ streams one track, analyses it, then sits and waits a while before streaming the next one.

It's much faster to manually load those tracks to decks one by one than to wait for VDJ to scan them.

Posted Fri 03 Mar 23 @ 11:26 pm
As Groovin said, are you trying to analyze "local" files, or files from a streaming service?
Streaming services usually have limitations how many tracks you can download/stream at the same time.
Therefore, analysis on tracks from streaming services is done one at the time.

Posted Sat 04 Mar 23 @ 3:18 am
Oh!

Yes, I am loading them from Beatport Link. I had no idea that VDJ analyzed those tracks differently!

That is frustrating considering how other DJ software (Rekordbox, for example) has no issue analyzing multiple tracks from Beatport Link at once.

I guess this issue is not "resolved" and instead is moved to "feature request"?

Posted Mon 06 Mar 23 @ 4:10 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Since Beatport already supplies key and bpm, what is the reason you want to analyze songs that you haven't played yet?

Posted Mon 06 Mar 23 @ 4:43 pm
I haven't been able to get the key to show up correctly before analysis - it all comes over as 10B, 11B, and 12B (which is completely wrong).

Also I'm trying to get beat grids set up since I believe that's a requirement for SoundSwitch (Lighting software).

Posted Mon 06 Mar 23 @ 6:28 pm
danielHome userMember since 2021
This is a big show stopper for me moving from Rekordbox to VirtualDJ.

Rekordbox multi threads analysis from Beatport link and can complete 100 tracks in about 5-10 minutes. Rekordbox is not limiting the download to 1 track at a time.

Unfortunately VirtualDJ is also reading the Key metadata incorrectly from Beatport Link and it reports everything as 10B, 11B & 1B. If it read the metadata correctly it would negate the need to perform batch analysis to use the inbuilt key detection algorithm to overwrite the tag which is being incorrectly read from Beatport Link.

Proposed fixes to the developers:
1. Fix the key metadata being read correctly from Beatport Link
2. Increase batch analysis concurrency for Beatport Link analysis to a more reasonable e.g. 4-6 tracks

I read in another forum that online analysis concurrency was limited to 1 due at Deezer request. This does not apply to Beatport Link as demonstrated by Rekordbox and Serato's analysis concurrency.

Please, Please fix.

Thank you.

Posted Wed 10 Apr 24 @ 12:47 am
Hi, new to VDJ and I am also kinda bummed out by this issue. What's worse, it doesn't help to put the tracks into the offline locker. Still slow.

Posted Fri 19 Jul 24 @ 9:01 am
user29249108 wrote :
Hi, new to VDJ and I am also kinda bummed out by this issue. What's worse, it doesn't help to put the tracks into the offline locker. Still slow.

There is no issue - only hardware limitations on your laptop :D
And no offline locker can't help analyze tracks

VDJ will parallel analyze 1 track per CPU core in your laptop, except one core left to run the software. So on most newer laptops it's extremely fast

Then there is the STEMs separation, which is not part of analyzing a track, but just in case you get them confused. That CAN run on CPU, but for live separation you will probably want a fast GPU to do it. If you don't have that and/or don't need stems, simply disable stems separation, and it won't get done at all

Posted Fri 19 Jul 24 @ 11:49 am