Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Pop/Click in the 2.0 Kick Stem, particularly House genres, VDJ 2023 - Page: 1
Can someone reproduce, what I am calling the "Stems 2.0 KickPop". Current VDJ version 7388 on Win 10, no controllers active. Though have heard it, I believe on all other versions of Stems 2.0. (did not go back and check, only figured out where the pop was coming from now.)

The Kick 2.0 stem will have pops/clicks in almost every track that has a strong kick stem, for example all house genres.

To reproduce:
1) Load track to deck, that does or does not, have stems saved, wait till stems 2.0 have completed being processed

2) isolate only the Kick (with the Stems 2.0 Padpage) or custom button stem_pad isolate 'kick'

3) Listen to track for pops. One will find them always created at the same location for a particular track. To test, set a marker hotcue. Delete the 2.0 stems and recompute them and listen at the same track position.

4) The pop is NOT there for the 1.0 kick stem, delete stems and recompute the 1.0 stems and listen at the same track position, marked by the hotcue. (The pop is also NOT there with the full track, or with stems never being computed, it is only the in the stems 2.0 Kick stem)

------------------------
My results for a random chosen track, (maybe not totally random, since wanted to show this for a track that I had both the same Beatport & Tidal, track, and everyone could have access to the same tracks.
BeatPort is AAC 256kbps and Tidal is flac 913kbps, and these tracks have the pop at the same location in both, other house tracks will all have pops but not always at same exact locations between the Beatport and Tidal versions, but other house tracks, will have pops and will be in the same location for that track across any 2.0 stem separation.
Hope you understand the distinction, ie the pops on a Tidal track may not always be in same location as from Beatport(same track), as they are in this case, but both the Tidal and Beatport tracks will still indeed have pops that are fixed for say, the Beatport track, even though they may not be in same location on the Tidal track.

The Track: So Hypnotic feat. Bok Nero - Wax Motif, Yellow Claw, €URO TRA$H (Original Mix) length: 3:48.6

the Tag Info for BeatPort and Tidal tracks respectively(so you can reproduce from same track):

The BeatPort 2.0 Kick Stem isolated, at postion 3:04.2 (also a pop at the green hotcue location for both tracks, demoing only 1 of the pop locations, some tracks can have 5-8 pops)
https://gyazo.com/1631e0c1151b97a9c8756c41b5784c57

Tidal 2.0 Kick Stem isolated:
https://gyazo.com/8f17327c054a781c77a9d833d6aed7fd

Note: on other tracks the pop can be more pronounced or subtler, this is sort of a typical pop.

-------------
NO Pop at same locations with the Kick 1.0 Stem

The BeatPort 1.0 Kick Stem at postion 3:04.2
https://gyazo.com/65bece199f726ed6f4daf4b115b4814b

Tidal 1.0 Kick Stem:
https://gyazo.com/079ce6af70810b939cf6714f6f4ac2e8

------------------
Perfect track play when:

Tidal full track with stems separated:
https://gyazo.com/4e46e5bee4a1dc78393ea8f96457c5af

Tidal track reloaded with Stems off:
https://gyazo.com/f35ea10595b194167385fab8e757fb08

-------------------------
Latency Monitor during the testing time:

One gets the same result with a track on a local HD, then one can save the stems, allowing one to examine the 2.0 kick stem with audacity and indeed see the pop created in the 2.0 Kick stem.

I chose to use online tracks so that others could reproduce (or not) from the exact same tracks. (see track numbers on Tag Info images)

Summary:
When creating and playing the 2.0 Kick stem, there are noticeable pops/clicks in most (if not all) tracks that have a strong Kick stem, ie most house genres.

And since the pops always occurs at the same locations across each re-computation of the 2.0 Kick Stem, and even seen at a same location on a saved stem, (and latency monitor is all green), would not point to a particular computer resource issue, but point to the actual AI of the 2.0 Kick stem separation, amazing as it is, in every other way.

---------
PS .. as you can hear.. that the Stems 2.0 are amazing, compared with the 1.0's.

WTG ! !
SO LOVE VDJ.. its da Best !!

----------------
Win 10
VDJ version 7388

Posted Tue 20 Dec 22 @ 5:48 pm
These are the options/settings during the above test.

Note: latency set to 1024, to help possibly eliminate the pops, it is the same if latency is set to the default of 0.

Posted Tue 20 Dec 22 @ 6:07 pm
No one using stems 2.0.. with either Tidal or Beatport Pro?

Would love someone to confirm that it is NOT just my computer, install or etc.

Simply find the track So Hypnotic - Wax Motif, Yellow Claw, €URO TRA$H length: 3:48.6 (from any source)

Play it for 6 seconds between 3:01 and 3:07, with the Stems 2.0 padpage's "KICK" pad, right clicked. (to isolate the Kick stem)

Is there a pop there ?

And if so you may find that every house track has multiple similar pops when using the 2.0 stems.

If NOT let me know so I can tear my system apart investigating whats happening.

Thanks in advance for your help !

Posted Wed 21 Dec 22 @ 2:28 pm
I don't use Tidal or Beatport but can maybe try on Deezer.

Will fire it up tonight and have a listen to see if i get the same issue.

Posted Wed 21 Dec 22 @ 2:37 pm
Awesome .. thanks a ton !

Posted Wed 21 Dec 22 @ 2:49 pm
Looking for a DJ who takes requests :P

would love to hear the Kick 2.0 Stem of any House track !

Posted Thu 22 Dec 22 @ 8:49 am
Can confirm I'm hearing the pop's as well on stems 2.0 at the indicated timecodes when isolating the kick. Tried changing a few options and didn't seem to clear it up.

EDIT: For reference I'm running v2023 b7388 on a 5950x and a RTX 3090 with 64gb ram, vdj is running of an NVMe drive. Hardware on 2x SC6000 + X1850.

Posted Thu 22 Dec 22 @ 9:04 am
Thank you so much for confirming on an entirely different setup and computer..

So I do not have to do extensive exploration, looking for a "my setup only" issue.

Will be patient, while the VDJ team tweaks the 2.0 stems.

So lovin the Stems 2.0 they are so Amazing..
now so spoiled, could not even think of going back to 1.0 stems

Posted Thu 22 Dec 22 @ 9:39 am
Mr DJ Mel wrote :
I don't use Tidal or Beatport but can maybe try on Deezer.

Will fire it up tonight and have a listen to see if i get the same issue.

Were you able to find the track?

If not, listen to any track that has strong Kick stem. (Like any house track)

Seems that if the track does not have a strong Kick component, the 2.0 Kick stem is perfect.

Posted Fri 23 Dec 22 @ 10:38 am
I'm having a similar problem. When I'm playing disco tracks stems 2.0 works flawlessly but as soon as I start playing hip hop or reggae with strong bass, the kicks and midrange bass bleeds through. This is while using echo out and stemfx:vocal

Posted Tue 03 Jan 23 @ 4:43 am
@ - IIDEEJAYII

I finally managed to test this via deezer. - track comes up as "So Hypnotic - €URO TRA$H" and is the same length. I can hear it at the exact same point as yourself.

What i discovered though was its not the kick stem causing it, its the bass stem.

I can run the track with just the bass stem removed and hear the click. It just sounds more pronounced with just the kick stem isolated only.

I would put this down to it being something in the track at that point rather it being an issue with the stem themselves. I'll be honest i use stems with every gig and had never noticed this click/pop before.

Posted Wed 04 Jan 23 @ 7:32 am
Thank DJ Mel for the additional confirmation. I owe you one!

Mr DJ Mel wrote :
I would put this down to it being something in the track at that point rather it being an issue with the stem themselves.

My experience is that the tracks sound perfect without stems, or with 1.0 stems. It has only been since the much more amazing 2.0 stems that the pop occurs. And if the 2.0 stems in use during a house track, there are many pops in each track. And the fact that the pop is in the same location and also experienced by others, only with stems 2.0 points maybe to something about the track, ie having a spike or creating a register over flow or not being handled in the best possible way by the Stem AI.

Can you find a House track that does NOT have pops in the 2.0 kick stems?

I would have to search very hard for a house track that does NOT have pops in the 2.0 kick stems. And now know it can be reproduced by others with completely different system configurations, and all that is required is the same input track and the 2.0 stems engine.

I can give more examples with tracks having pops, (typically 5 - 9). I started to create a list, and it would be useless list, since, it is difficult to find a house track without pops. (only requires a track with a strong kick stem)

win 10

Posted Wed 04 Jan 23 @ 8:53 am
BTW - I do not disagree with what you are saying re that stems 2.0 causing the issue.

But at the same time i would not expect the result would different for other people.
Essentially stems is nothing more than a maths calculation, feed it the same signal and you will get the same result time after time.

So possibly the bass stem can be refined in a future update to get rid of these static noises, as my testing shows its removing the bass stem which causes the issue not the kick stem.

But until then i doubt there is anything that can be done on yours or my configuration that would stop the click/pop.

Posted Wed 04 Jan 23 @ 9:43 am
The latest EA (7403) release did not contain the small tweak needed for the 2.0 kick stems. (for pops which do NOT exist in the 1.0 stems)

Bummer that this tweak could not be rolled out with the first update.

Are the Devs aware of this needed 2.0 stems tweak.
There has been no word in this thread from VDJ.
I can be patient, and wait for the amazing things from VDJ staff, once I know they are aware.

Or is it NOT reproducible in the 2.0 stems?

Want VDJ to be even more amazing !

------------------
win 10

Posted Wed 11 Jan 23 @ 2:35 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Yes, we are aware but still looking for ways to improve it

Posted Wed 11 Jan 23 @ 12:47 pm
Awesome !

Posted Wed 11 Jan 23 @ 8:23 pm
Just spent 2 weeks analysing stems on my Apple laptop (500 songs), created playlists, worked on the mixes for a gig next week. Until I connected my system on a bigger sound equipment: I noticed theses popping sounds on the kick track when using stems 2.0
It's everywhere! As of now it is unusable. Is there any chance this problem can be fixed in the next 10 days ?!!!!
Otherwise it's just a waste of my time and efforts.

Posted Tue 08 Aug 23 @ 9:52 pm
Hi guys,

I made a new thread thinking this was something isolated...

Here’s a video showing the click/pop when using the stem 2.0 split separation:

https://youtu.be/EEQ5s4EaXvo

In short, some of the songs I mixed and recorded have an occasional beat glitch. At first, I thought this issue was something that had to do with the recording process, but today I wanted to dig in into this, and noticed that when I split the song using the STEM 2.0 separation, a clicking (beat glitch) appears. To me the song should sound the same by playing it both ways split/normal. This is an issue that is amplified when recording mixes, maybe when doing live presentations is not so obvious.... But I reckon this should not happen either way.

MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB gpu

Thanks

Posted Wed 03 Jan 24 @ 12:51 pm
Hi,
I bought a new laptop several weeks ago, and then I was able to begin to use stems 2.0 feature, that I really found awesome, giving opportunity to do different mixes !
Unfortunately, I noticed that there were pops sometimes... But, after a quick search, I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who has the problem (thanks to contributors on this thread for investigation !)
I see that this problem is known by VDJ teams and was already under study one year ago: please are there any news about this subject ?

Posted Fri 26 Jan 24 @ 7:41 pm
my heart is at peace, I looked for a thousand solutions for this problem but I couldn't, thanks to IIDEEJAYII for reporting this post to me, I'm waiting in hope...

Desktop PC, i7 11700 16gb ram Geforce 3060TI Beatport and Music and OS on Mve

Posted Thu 08 Feb 24 @ 3:44 pm
65%