Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: CBG losing sync

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

is ANYONE else having the issue of the cgb losing sync with the actual beat of the waveform? You push sync and the beats lock for a little while. Then you push beatlock and the cbg is NOT in sync with the beats and the two decks sound horrible! I know you can keep hitting the space bar, but when you have beatmatch on,,,one or the other is out of phase. Even when you use the phase adjuster...the phqase is only kept in sync with the beat for a short period.

Help.

ALso an explanation of how to use these utilites would be helpful.

Ronny582

Posted Thu 13 Nov 03 @ 2:03 am
I have... I don't know yet what the common factors are though. It does seem to start after I move from rigid to elastic and try to go back. I'll let you know if I figure more out.

Posted Thu 13 Nov 03 @ 7:42 am
GwennPRO InfinityMember since 2003
ronny582 : cbg are not fixed with beats. If they are desynchronized, it's because the bpm of the track is not correct.

Gwenn

Posted Thu 13 Nov 03 @ 4:22 pm
Thank you, but this then means that MOST of the songs analyzed by Virtual DJ are incorrect! Wow! Most all of my music is 4/4 dance music too! So, it looks like I will be going thru a big song library and manually editing?

I wish there was a way to lock onto the beat waveforms like in atomix!

Ronny582

Posted Thu 13 Nov 03 @ 5:02 pm
I'm finding out more and more (as I try using my music library with VDJ) that the VDJ's BPM analyzer sucks a**. It woudln't be such a big deal to correct phases manually, but it has only found correct BPM's for about 20-30% of my music, and correcting BPM's takes 1-3 min per song (to be exact). Its enough to make me want to try a different program... even though I like the ease of use and the features of VDJ.

70% of 6,000 music files = 4,200 files to fix BPM's and phases on. 2/3's of those file's wouldn't be used for dancing anyways, which leaves me with 1,400 files to fix. If they all took me 1 min to fix, I'd be working on them for a solid 24 hours. at 3 min, it would take 3 days. Thats work I don't really care to do.

Posted Tue 18 Nov 03 @ 5:17 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I think your numbers are reversed. It's likely more like 30% that are off, and 70% that are OK.

Posted Tue 18 Nov 03 @ 5:26 pm
Sorry, after preparing for a wedding and actually playing the wedding, I seriously found many many more incorrect BPM's than were correct, to the point where I felt the only way to perform mixing of songs was to fade them in and out (which I can do with WinAmp, which is free.

I tried to start off with beatlock, but after 6 or 7 dance songs into it, I started realizing that it hadn't worked once between any songs that had been requested (so you start to feel like ok, your not going to even try using it anymore).

Manual mixing did NOT even work for me 50% of the time because of wrong BPM's!

By the time of the gig, I had my old skool and my classic hip hop mostly ready to go, but due to time constraints, I couldn't go through all the possible dance directories.
VDJ will work fine with those two directories now, but turned out to be a real pain for any other songs in other directories.

I really mean it when I say most of my songs have incorrect BPM's on them.

Posted Tue 18 Nov 03 @ 5:37 pm
And just so you know, when I was using PCDJ Red, 80-90% of almost the same music library I'm using now had correct BPM's. I don't know what it takes to make a good BPM analyzer, but I wish you could just use the BPM's found in PCDJ (that are stored in the header of each Mp3) for VDJ, or at least "borrow" their analyzer and use it for VDJ.

Posted Tue 18 Nov 03 @ 5:42 pm
I appreciate that you may be exagerating to make a point. I also feel that the beat detection of VirtualDJ could definately use some improvement still. I also think that the development team is aware of this, and will continue to improve this aspect of VirtualDJ.
However, I just completely uninstalled VirtualDJ, and re-installed it. Of course on the first launch I had no analysed tracks. I did a search for all my remixes, and sorted them alphabetically. I then let VDJ analyse 30 of these tracks. (i tried to keep it random) Of those 30 tracks, the bpm was incorrect on 9 of them. The other 21 were accurately counted.
So, do I think that's good enough? NO. However, it's a far cry from your reported 70% incorrect.
Also, with regard to mixing. I NEVER, (well very rarely) use the beat lock frature. When I'm working, I sort my re-mixes by BPM, (many of which I have manually corrected) Then mix them manually. One ear on the room, and one ear in the headphones. You shouldn't rely on the beatlock feature of any software. Even if it has a 90% accuracy rate. Doing it manually has a 100% accuracy rate. I'd hate to play a trainwreck 10% of the time.

Posted Tue 18 Nov 03 @ 6:17 pm
Ok, I MAY be overestimating a bit, and probably a lot if you consider that I wasn't working with much of the new hip hop or R&B music that has come out lately. Tracks from those genres may work out much better for VDJ... but I don't know as I haven't tried working with those yet.

What types of tracks did you experiment with anyways?
What version of VDJ did you use?

Cause I really am having a horrible time with older tracks. And when I say that I "May" be overestimating, when it comes to stuff I tried to play at the wedding, I really really really got no better than 50% correct BPM's on stuff I played, and I "really" felt stuck to "mixing by fade" and nothing else. It just turned out to be not so fun cause I couldn't perform smoot transitions like I'm used to (as opposed to just fading, which happens to work fine enough for a wedding). And yes, the automix feature works great... for weddings :).

So what types of tracks did you use?

Posted Tue 18 Nov 03 @ 7:20 pm
Thanks for the replys by the way

Posted Tue 18 Nov 03 @ 7:21 pm
Fairly random selections. The tracks that were off, were more of the 100 or so bpm hip hop type stuff...
anything with a lot of fill in between beats will cause problems. It'd be great if the developers incorperated more of a manual beat "assist". Where we tap in 4-8 beats, and the software then is able to pick up on the beats the user has tapped, and can more accurately find the correct beats.

Posted Tue 18 Nov 03 @ 9:21 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)