Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Transfer data different path
So I copied a few folders of music from an external drive to my mac. to my horror i found out that none of that data (bpm, cues etc) wasn't saved. is there a way to do this even though the path has changed? Thanks

Posted Mon 31 May 21 @ 11:18 am
Easiest way would be to do the copy again, but using VirtualDJ browser for the copying.
That way a new database is created at new location drive, with all data intact (bpm/cues) and paths, for the songs that are copied

You can try right-click the new location folder(s), and choose "batch=> add to search db".
But probably best to just do the copy process again, from within VDJ

Posted Mon 31 May 21 @ 11:25 am
Thank you! I would really prefer to not do the whole thing again, as I did sorting and it took a long time.
If I do the batch>add to search db, doesn't it just add the songs to the search but not all the other data?

Posted Mon 31 May 21 @ 12:39 pm
homer.gefen wrote :
So I copied a few folders of music from an external drive to my mac. to my horror i found out that none of that data (bpm, cues etc) was saved. is there a way to do this even though the path has changed? Thanks

Posted Mon 31 May 21 @ 12:40 pm
homer.gefen wrote :

If I do the batch>add to search db, doesn't it just add the songs to the search but not all the other data?

Yes, thats the downside, it might not see them as same files.
If file name and file size is exactly same, its possible it works ok for bpm etc.

But yeah, either you create new data from the new locations.
Or you copy over again using VDJ browser to copy over old data.

Try right-click and add one folder and see if its ok for you.
Its easy to right-click and choose "batch=> remove from search" if you want to "undo" it :)

Posted Mon 31 May 21 @ 12:44 pm
Thanks man. I actually realized something weirder is happening. I restarted my computer and ALL my database was just erased. even the stuff that were already on my computer.
Is there a way to recover database from history?

Posted Mon 31 May 21 @ 1:17 pm
if the music is on the local drive (the same drive as the operating system), the database is in the OS user account. Perhaps you logged in as different mac/windows user?

look in /documents/virutaldj/

Also, if its macOS, if you didnt allow VirtualDJ access to drive, settings will not be able to save.
Give VirtualDJ full drive access, in mac settings. Thats the quickest way to make VDJ have the access needed for reading music files, saving data etc
https://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Settings-not-saving.html

Posted Mon 31 May 21 @ 1:36 pm
Thanks again. perhaps it was the drive access, idk.
I'm not sure what should I look for in /document/virtualdj?
I don't think I was logged in as a different user as I used the same laptop and program recently.

Posted Mon 31 May 21 @ 1:50 pm
homer.gefen wrote :

I'm not sure what should I look for in /document/virtualdj?

the database is saved there. As database.xml for files on that drive.. .

Posted Mon 31 May 21 @ 2:08 pm
oh yeah, there's a database there, but it's updated so I guess it will just show me that database I have now, how will it help?

Posted Mon 31 May 21 @ 2:24 pm