Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: DDJ-1000 Jog Scratch Quality
Here's something that i was thinking about for quite some time.
When you try to "play" a song by spinning the jog wheel at just the right continuous speed while paused, it should "play" the sound at about the normal speed.
Ofcourse it won't be perfect since the motion is not perfectly stable, but aside from audible pitch and speed deviations, it should sound about fine.
Why is it then that doing this sounds absolutely abominable?

So i know a bit about how controllers and jog wheels work. Basically with every update of the controller, which is probably every millisecond or maybe even less, it reports the motion or position of the jog wheel. Then the software applies this to the track. Since the time frame and processing is not infinitely fast, it will always "jump" a few frames ahead instead of "gliding" there as it would be with normal playback.
So why doesn't VDJ smooth out these jumps just enough so that accuracy is minimally impacted? Does this also happen with other controllers, or is my setup the issue?

Posted Sat 31 Oct 20 @ 1:56 pm
First of all you need to change the jogsensitivitycue setting from 0.5 to 1.0 (same with jogsensitivityscratch)
Then try again...
Also since the deck is paused, the software treats it in a "special" way to ease cue-ing (instead of playback)
If you are not satisfied with the result of rotating the jog in paused state after you change the sensitivity setting then you should set your jog to vinyl mode and do what you're after while the deck is playing (touching the platter will "stop" the track, but the playback engine still apply playback physics like speed torque and it's also optimized for playback/scratching, not cue-ing)

Posted Sat 31 Oct 20 @ 5:39 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
First of all you need to change the jogsensitivitycue setting from 0.5 to 1.0 (same with jogsensitivityscratch)
I know what those settings do. They essentially just multiplethe value that VDJ applies when getting a signal from the controller. That's not what i'm looking for though, since it doesn't improve the quality. The issue is not a too high sensitivity.

Quote :
Then try again...
Also since the deck is paused, the software treats it in a "special" way to ease cue-ing (instead of playback)
If you are not satisfied with the result of rotating the jog in paused state after you change the sensitivity setting then you should set your jog to vinyl mode and do what you're after while the deck is playing (touching the platter will "stop" the track, but the playback engine still apply playback physics like speed torque and it's also optimized for playback/scratching, not cue-ing)
There is no difference between the quality with the track paused + cue or playing + scratch.

I wanna make clear that the scratching itself doesn't sound bad, i'm not complaining about that. But while Rekordbox doesn't sound perfect with this by any means, it does manage to produce a cleaner sound from the jog rotation input.

Posted Mon 02 Nov 20 @ 8:29 pm
After build 5541 the scratch algorithm has changed - it was made smeared, the sensitivity will vary depending on the speed.

test on build before 5541, how does it work?

Posted Tue 03 Nov 20 @ 2:10 am
user9298534 wrote :
After build 5541 the scratch algorithm has changed - it was made smeared, the sensitivity will vary depending on the speed.

test on build before 5541, how does it work?

How does one revert back to build 5541? I just got a DDJ-1000 yesterday and the scratching is not accurate. However, when I try it on ReKordbox, it's perfect, but in VDJ, when I do release type scratches, the jogwheel is not responding like it's supposed to. Very frustrating and I really REALLY don't want to switch to ReKordbox. I HATE ReKordbox with a passion.

Posted Sun 24 Jan 21 @ 12:46 am
I just figured out a workaround that seems to be working okay for me. On other devices, when you do a forward scratch and then release, the jogwheel or turntable automatically spins forward. That's also how it reacts in ReKordbox. However in VDJ, when you release the jogwheeel, there is a very slight delay in time before the jogwheel spins forward (sometimes). It's just not accurate.

So I have altered my scratching technique. Now instead of just releasing the jogwheel, I kind of give it a small little push at the same time to send the jogwheel in a forward motion. So far, this little modification in my scratching technique seems to be working. I hate I have to do that, because it's not necessary with other gear or software, but there are just too many things I love about VDJ to switch to something else right now.

Posted Sun 24 Jan 21 @ 1:07 am
DJay 2Legit wrote :
I just figured out a workaround that seems to be working okay for me. On other devices, when you do a forward scratch and then release, the jogwheel or turntable automatically spins forward. That's also how it reacts in ReKordbox. However in VDJ, when you release the jogwheeel, there is a very slight delay in time before the jogwheel spins forward (sometimes). It's just not accurate.

So I have altered my scratching technique. Now instead of just releasing the jogwheel, I kind of give it a small little push at the same time to send the jogwheel in a forward motion. So far, this little modification in my scratching technique seems to be working. I hate I have to do that, because it's not necessary with other gear or software, but there are just too many things I love about VDJ to switch to something else right now.

Also take a look at the jogVibrationProtection and touchWheel[...] settings.
My original post doesn't have anything to do with this though. It's not about the mechanics, but the 'granularity' of the scratch more so.

Posted Sat 30 Jan 21 @ 1:12 pm
+1 on the problem with VDJ's jogwheel movement response not being accurate with the ddj 1000...it seems like it gets lost with faster scratching. The same type of scratching works fine in Rekordbox.

Posted Thu 14 Oct 21 @ 2:15 am