Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Re: Using Pioneer XDJ-XZ with Virtual DJ
Hi, Can someone please answer the below questions for me? Thanks, Scott

1. Does Virtual DJ waveforms and track info appear on the XDJ-XZ screen, once you hook up the Pioneer XDJ-XZ to Virtual DJ?

2. Does a special skin for the XDJ-XZ automatically appear on your laptop screen, once you hook up the XDJ-XZ to Virtual DJ? Because I looked through all of the skins in Virtual DJ and I didn't see a skin for the XDJ-XZ.

3. Can you use your Virtual DJ music library with the XDJ-XZ, or do you have to use recordbox? Also, do you have to use an external thumb drive, with your music on it, or can you just use your Virtual DJ music library directly with XDJ-XZ?

Posted Sun 19 Jul 20 @ 8:09 am
1) yes

2) no skin is needed (default skin works for all controllers)

3) yes

All works, and xdj-xz displays VirtualDJ info and waveform, using VirtualDJ music library etc ;-)

Posted Sun 19 Jul 20 @ 1:48 pm
Okay great thank you very much for answering all of my questions, I really appreciate it!

Posted Sun 19 Jul 20 @ 9:08 pm
Do you have any examples of what the screen looks like on the controller? And what the skin looks like on Virtual DJ?

Posted Sun 19 Jul 20 @ 10:46 pm
The screen on the controller is what the controller is made to look like. Its not a "skin"

https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/pioneer/xdjxz/layout/lcd.html

For the software, most use the default skin, and it works with any controller. The skin in the software doesnt "look alike" the controller.
Thats more a "thing" for users that cant afford a controller, and want something to "emulate" a controller on screen perhaps ;-)

That being said, in Extensions inside the software, you are free to choose any skin for the software you prefer (and all works with the controller). The software skin is totally independent of the controller so to speak ;-) Can use any, any any can be used with all controllers

Posted Sun 19 Jul 20 @ 10:52 pm
Okay thank you very much for your detailed explanation between the two. That was very helpful, and I really appreciate it :-)

Posted Sun 19 Jul 20 @ 11:08 pm
Now I changed my DDJ-1000 to a XDJ-XZ and after reading the VDJ hardware manual according to...

The Pioneer XDJ-XZ is capable of controlling up to 4 Decks, combined from the 2 USB sources and VirtualDJ Decks.

AVAILABLE COMBINATIONS

Both sides set to standalone (USB). When both left and right sides have tracks loaded from the USB sources, the unit offers:
Mixer Channel 3 : Audio from VirtualDJ Deck 3 when CH3 INPUT switch is set to computer position, or from external audio source connected to CH3 Inputs at the rear panel when set to LINE or PHONO.
Mixer Channel 1 and 2 : Audio from the USB sources.
Mixer Channel 4 : Audio from VirtualDJ Deck 3 when CH4 INPUT switch is set to computer position, or from external audio source connected to CH4 Inputs at the rear panel when set to LINE or PHONO.

The left and right Deck panels of the XDJ-XZ will control the tracks loaded from USB sources and there is no deck switch available from the SHORTCUT view. The Displays will offer waves and information only from the USB tracks

...I wonder if I can change mapping somehow so CH.3 and CH.4 och XDJ-XZ actually controls VDJ deck 1 and 2 instead ?

Posted Mon 09 Aug 21 @ 7:07 am
Was it such an hard question ?

Posted Tue 10 Aug 21 @ 9:16 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
All possible cases are written in manual. Due to firmware limitations you cannot change which Channel/Deck will be controlled from VirtualDJ and which from XDJ-standalone.

Posted Tue 10 Aug 21 @ 3:23 pm
I get it that XDJ firmware is of course not able to change, but the VDJ mapping could be possible ?
But if not possible there is no actual drawback of using deck 3 and deck 4 instead ?

Posted Tue 10 Aug 21 @ 4:42 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
For routing different VirtualDJ Decks to mixer channels, you can change the Audio Setup and re-arrange channels.
For MIDI control, you can try different Deck Assignment for the XDJ-Mixer and XDJ devices (in MAPPING tab of VirtualDJ Settings) , by manually typing the order you want e.g. 3,4,1,2 but havent tried so unsure how it works.

Posted Tue 10 Aug 21 @ 5:10 pm
DaveV22PRO InfinityMember since 2012
if you go to short cuts on controller you can shift between decks 12/34

Posted Thu 24 Nov 22 @ 1:23 pm