Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Bigger interface in performance mode

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I would recommend that you take a look at the Skin Builder skin by djdad.

It's easy to use (drag and drop) and the separate extractor util exports your unique skin design in the resolution of the computer you run it on.

Sizing of certain skin elements has been an issue with VDJ 8 since release. Skins are typically designed at 1920x1080, presumably on a large screen, but when used on a typical laptop screen (i.e. around 15") certain text and other elements become awkwardly small.

This issue has been raised numerous times, but little has been done to address it by Atomix.

The only current solution is to either create your own skin (see above) or use an old skin (VDJ 7 or earlier) that has been designed on/for smaller screen sizes and/or resolutions.

Posted Sat 11 Apr 20 @ 10:43 am
groovindj wrote :
The only current solution is to either create your own skin (see above) or use an old skin (VDJ 7 or earlier) that has been designed on/for smaller screen sizes and/or resolutions.

Or to have a laptop with a better resolution.

Personal Opinion
I would never (in 2020) consider purchasing a laptop with anything less than an HD (1920*1080) resolution.
I'm not suggesting that everyone rush out to purchase a new laptop. But most DJ's would keep their machines, up to date and well spec'd so in the not too distant future full hd laptops will be the norm.

In fact a rudimentary search on PCWorld/Currys (in the UK) reveals that only 8% of their entire laptop range has a resolution below full HD.

Plus what you also have to bare in mind that some laptops support 4k. Can you imagine how poor a low res skin on a 4k screen would look.

Virtual actually actually does a pretty good job of scaling skins. Especially if the skin have been designed using the newer engine. Even text display much better.
1920x1080 is the sweet spot between low res and 4k, in my opinion.

However there will of course be downscaling if you are using a lower resolution which will make things slightly more difficult to read etc.

Posted Sat 11 Apr 20 @ 11:43 am
I've been over this before, but....

It's not so much the resolution, but the screen size. Doing the same check as you, 15.6" is still the most common size.

Trying to use a typical VDJ 8 skin on a laptop size screen can be a real struggle because the text (that looks fine on a 24" screen or above) becomes miniscule on a 15". Other elements too.

I'd guess that VDJ 8 skins would primarily be designed on a nice big screen at home by the skinner, rather than on the size of screen that's typically used by DJs at gigs. I say that because you only need to look at the skin on a smaller screen to see the issues.

Compare and contrast a VDJ 7 skin designed for/on a smaller screen with the VDJ 8 default skin, and it should be obvious.

This is one reason why I've ended up making my own skins to use at gigs.

Posted Sat 11 Apr 20 @ 12:05 pm
Ooh, new skin :-)

I think I'm right in saying that VDJ doesn't respond to the scaling built in to Windows (presumbly Mac has similar)?

If you Google you'll find that people who've bought a 15" laptop with HD or 4K typically have to scale up to 150-200% in order to get a readable display, because the pixel density of HD or 4K on a 15" screen is crazily high.

I guess the manufacturers only do it because consumers recognise HD & 4K from their huge TV in the lounge. IMO it doesn't make sense on a laptop.

Posted Sat 11 Apr 20 @ 3:45 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Personally I've been using a 4k laptop for more than 4 years now I think (15"), and I'd never want to go back.
Scaling is set to 250%, so indeed the absolute size of letters etc is the same as on a full-hd laptop of the same size, but the improved clarity on text and even images makes it so much nicer to use.

Skins are fairly fixed in their layout, so you would indeed need to use a skin that fits your size preference for the size of monitor you are using. (and anyway, since the skin opens full-screen by default the letters will be the same size on the same size screen regardless of resolution, just sharper)
For dialogs VirtualDJ does of course use the scaling factor of the operating system to ensure that they are not tiny.

Posted Sat 11 Apr 20 @ 4:21 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)