Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: reset sort order
doug9474ControlleristMember since 2019
I accidentally clicked one of the columns in Automix and that of course messed up the order of the playlist... Was trying to click the first song in the playlist. However, reset sort order didn't show. I guess because I added some songs before accidentally clicking the column. At least that's what I guessed from reading the forum.

I would like to have the option to reset sort order any time I click a column. It's very easy to do and can mess up a playlist with no way to retrieve it.

I think an "Undo" feature in any application is a reasonable addition.

Posted Fri 25 Oct 19 @ 5:45 am
yes please

Posted Fri 25 Oct 19 @ 8:28 am

right-click any column header, and choose reset sort order

Posted Fri 25 Oct 19 @ 5:54 pm
Rune,

As I attempted to indicate in my previous message... The reset sort order option goes away if I added songs to the playlist right before accidentally clicking the column. At that point, I can't get back to the previous order.

Thanks,
Doug

Posted Fri 25 Oct 19 @ 6:57 pm
Just noticed another what might be called a bug:

If i move songs around, then click a column, then click "reset sort order" then it will reset it to the last saved state, not the state after I just moved songs around.

Which leads me to believe, it can only reload from the last saved state.

In that case it doesn't actually resetting the sort order when i click "reset sort order"

Posted Fri 25 Oct 19 @ 7:13 pm
I see what you are saying. When you have added new content there would be no "order" to reset anymore since there is new content added. It could be quite tricky or impossible to "guess" where you intended the new content to be in the list perhaps

If you save the changed list, you can reset sort order again (but yeah, i see how that is a challenge if you altered the order by column).

(alternatively all new content could be put bottom at reset order for a changed unsaved list, but might not be ideal either if the new content was intended specific place)

Posted Fri 25 Oct 19 @ 7:30 pm
I don't know if we are making it too complicated here. Simple scenario:

there were songs A and C in the playlist. I added song B between A and C.

The order is now A,B,C.

I click the column.

I would like to be able to get back A,B,C. I'm not sure what needs to be guessed.

Posted Fri 25 Oct 19 @ 7:36 pm
doug9474 wrote :
I don't know if we are making it too complicated here. Simple scenario:

Yes would work in that simple scenario (auto save).
But what if you added songs after you clicked any of the columns and changed order.. etc. What then when reset order
(but sure, maybe there are some auto save way that could work)

Posted Fri 25 Oct 19 @ 7:52 pm
Yes. Hopefully they can get it working for that simple scenario lol. That's the one I have problems with.

I don't know why i would add a song after i sorted, because then it would be in the wrong order and I'm not sure why I would want to add a song in the wrong order. If I did add it while the songs were in the wrong (sorted) order, that's just the new order.

Then there's the 2nd, related problem that i mentioned. Maybe that can be fixed too.

Posted Fri 25 Oct 19 @ 8:01 pm
To give a real life example: I was playing some songs with Automix. I edited my playlist some for the current crowd.

Later on I went to turn off automix for a little while. The button is so close to "Will Play at" that I clicked "Will Play at" accidentally, and it screwed up my playlist and wouldn't let me unscramble it.

Posted Sun 24 Nov 19 @ 1:58 am
I'm not sure why, but I was able to hit "reset sort order" when I did the same thing. At one point the option disappeared, and at another it came back.

I had JUST played a set so luckily I was able to reset to the order I intended by opening the field "last played" and sort according to that.

I created a new field in user 1 and numbered the songs. Of course clicking on that column had "10" come after "1"

Good job VDJ.

It's very easy to click a column heading. What we need is a sort button AND a lock button.

Posted Sat 29 May 21 @ 6:49 am
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
Warning I said the same about karaoke which have a "position" column (just fake line number)
As a result: now there is no more way to sort karaoke list anymore ^^ (i.e. to see what a singer already have selected, or whenever a title was already choosen)
instead of making the position column following the sort and available to sort back by position

if you add a file in the list the option "reset sort order" disappears (forever ?)
(moving it somewhere else does not set a new previous order)
But left column goes on resetting "Original sort order", putting new track at end or top not where it was inserted, even when the sor order was the initial while innserted

The "pos" and "position" fields seems to have disappear at least from columns (karaoke list still have fake one) and sort options

Posted Sat 29 May 21 @ 7:52 am
How about a lock feature that you can turn on and off if you want to reorder your automix? Every time I use the 'MIX NOW' it ALWAYS is over that column so if your off by a hair you're resetting the order and there's no turning back when you're adding on the fly. Just a lock symbol so it can't be hit unintentionally

Posted Thu 03 Jun 21 @ 4:17 pm
still hasn't been fixed and happened again.

Posted Tue 21 Sep 21 @ 5:05 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
what would be fine, and fixing everything:
- adding/moving a track when not sorted : ask to be set under top track or on top of bottom track in order
i.e.: by default under top one, ctrl or shift to on top of bottom one - and maybe the other key to replace track
- playing when unsorted the next track being the next one following order column
- the will play at to follow the order column
- having the possibility to apply current sorted as new order

same applying to automix and karaoke and sidelist

Posted Tue 21 Sep 21 @ 5:36 pm
Extremely frustrating little niggle.

I use my beloved VDJ for video and video fx
I use rekordbox for USB's plugged into club CDJ's
In RB I can click on BPM header then head to rest order and it just renumbers every track
copy the play list and this time I want to sort by key, same process.
Now I have 2 playlists with the same songs each sorted by bpm and key
each playlist now NUMBERED 1-10 regardless.
if I add 3 new songs, same process and I am good to go. easy peasy!

As described by others before me this is not possible in VDJ and I have no idea why
such a simple process on such a beautiful program, that updates regularly,
shouldn't 'feel' like the old days of Serato and Traktor where simple requests fell on dead ears for years.

(for those reading this who do not know, it took Serato over 10 years if not more to implement DJ play count.
Imagine being a prolific DJ for ten years and at the end of it you had no record of the top ten songs you have ever played?? Unacceptable.)

@VDJ The big stuff you do are great, but these little niggles can often be a deal breaker, because they are the bread and butter of an ever evolving mobile DJ.

Thanks in advance.

Posted Sun 18 Dec 22 @ 12:30 pm
ps.

RB says RENUMBER sort order
VDJ say RESET sort order

You can rest sort order just by clicking the order tab anyway.
but when you right click you should be able to renumber.

Posted Sun 18 Dec 22 @ 12:40 pm