Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: SLIP mode flaw on DDJ-SB3

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello, I am using the latest update of Virtual DJ 2018 with a Pioneer DDJ-SB3 controller. First of all compliments for the awesome work for bringing this software to us.

I noticed a flaw using SLIP mode as compared to how it works on Serato Pro. Here's how I am using it on my controller and how the software reacts.

1) Load track on A, play
2) Load track on B, play, beat sync the two tracks (SYNC led/button is now ON on both boards), then cue & mix the two tracks now playing at 100% of their volume (crossfader in the central position)
3) Activate SLIP mode on deck B by pressing [SHIFT] + [VINYL] on the controller
4) Scratch by turning turntable B back&forth (I move it by touching its upper surface) a few times.

The SLIP mode is roughly respected in a way that at the end of each scratch action on deck B the track on B resumes more or less where it should be if I did not scratch the deck... but more or less, very roughly. It always looses a fraction of a beat and after a few scratches the two tracks are completely out of sync.

I was unsure if I correctly had the SLIP mode activated, but after adding a custom control on the computer's screen I saw that the SLIP indicator actually lights up and it says until I re-press SHIFT+VINYL to deactivate.
And, the same technique works perfectly on Serato instead.

I thought it was better to report it, just in case it's a flaw for this specific controller.

Posted Mon 09 Sep 19 @ 1:58 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Cant reproduce that here. With Slip mode enabled when tracks are synced (and both are playing), they still remain synced after scratching, no matter how hard i do that.

Perhaps It's not a matter of how SLIP works, but probably how the SYNC works in VirtualDJ ?
The SYNC (sync action) is a momentary action in VirtualDJ, meaning that tracks get synchronized (match BPM if paused and beat-synced when playing) when button is pressed, but this doesnt mean that tracks are "locked" in beat, so if you scratch the deck, you may end up with tracks not synced on beat.
For that to happen, you may find the Beatlock function more suitable to what you are after. Beatlock is available as a button in the SCRATCH mixer panel of the default skins , but you can also assign the action beatlock to the SYNC buttons as well.

The only case i can think of is to somehow your scratch ends up with some pitch-bending (so movements of the outer part of the jog), which is not taken into account from Slip mode.

Posted Mon 09 Sep 19 @ 2:03 pm
Hello, yes BEATLOCK + SLIP actually does the job. After activating both you can play with scratch and whatever and never get the tracks out of sync.
Most likely, I'd need to bind the SLIP control (SHIFT + VINYL on the controller) to SLIP+BEATLOCK to toggle on/off together.

I don't think binding the BEATLOCK to the SYNC button is always a good idea.
In many situations you want two tracks to sync initually but then, if the beat grid is variable you need to adjust the speed later of the second track only to compensate the difference. If the BEATLOCK adjusts both tracks and you will remain hopelessly out of sync.

Thanks for the suggestion, anyway, it solved my issue!

Posted Tue 17 Sep 19 @ 7:10 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)