Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: External hard drive question

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi, I have all my music on an external hard drive that plugs into my lap top for gigs.
I sometimes connect the external hard drive to my desk top pc for use with Ableton.
Both computers are windows 10.
I have a problem with my desktop pc not reading my ext hard drive any more. Not sure why, but have not been able to fix it with the troubleshooter.
So I am thinking that buying another ext hard drive and copying the old to the new, may see the new one being able to be read on the desktop?
One thing I don't know if it would be a problem or not is that on the laptop the ext hard drive name and drive letter is "TOSHIBA EXT (E:)", and on my desktop I already have an internal hard drive with the drive letter E:. Does any body know if this would cause conflict? It didn't seem to be a problem for some time.
The day when the drive became un readable on the desktop pc was a day when I was swapping it back and forth a few times from laptop to desk top. And I don't always eject the drive safely, but just unplug it. Maybe this caused the problem?
Has any body got any advice on why the problem likely arose and how to fix it?
If not, is the new ext hard drive idea going to work? Will it matter if I get the exact same hard drive or not?
Cheers,
Ken.

Posted Mon 24 Jun 19 @ 7:58 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
First, different drive letters for externals are not a problem for VDJ.

You can try a tool named USBDeview and uninstall all unused USB devices or especially the one for your external.
As you may know, an USB device is installed per USB port. And if you remove the driver from the port windows should give you the "installing driver for device" popup the next time you plugin your external again.

Posted Mon 24 Jun 19 @ 8:19 am
I found that I just had to assign a drive letter to the external hard drive on the desktop pc, it can now read it. Just hope it all works when I plug it back into the lap top.

Posted Mon 24 Jun 19 @ 9:00 am
So now I want to buy a new external hard drive, to copy my old hard drive on to as a back up.
What is the best way to go about this?
Is it any benefit with VDJ if I buy the exact same hard drive? Or does it not matter?
I just want to be sure that VDJ will link all the right songs back to the playlists.

Posted Mon 24 Jun 19 @ 9:03 am
It really doesn't matter what brand of drive you go for although I would say go for a solid state drive. Yes these are expensive but are a lot more reliable when using them for gigs as they don't have any moving parts plus the read speeds are a lot faster normally.

As to backing up your current VDJ database there is a backup option in the VDJ in the browser options area although I always copy everything from the program itself by right clicking on a file or folder selecting file operations and copying it to the new destination. There may be quicker ways to do this but i have thousands of tracks with hotcues, action cues etc in them and this works for me - I've never tried it with playlists though but would think it would work just the same but it may be worth trying a test on one just to be sure - Good luck

Posted Mon 24 Jun 19 @ 10:41 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)