Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Does Virtual DJ Write to the hard drive when mixing music?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I know it writes to the hard drive when recording but I'm wondering if it writes when just mixing 2 or more separate music files? Like does virtual dj temporarily write the file directly to the hard drive during the mix? I recently bought a small ssd drive for gaming and have an hdd still that runs virtual dj just fine, however the new gaming laptop runs virtual dj amazingly well. But I prefer not write to my SSD drive just to practice mixing music as I can sometimes spend all day for weeks on end mixing and that'll fry my SSD quick. I've looked all over the web for info on this and can't find anyrhing. Thanks

Posted Fri 21 Jun 19 @ 8:06 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
No, only database updates are written to disk (like playcount) but these are extremely small.

Also note that SSD's are pretty durable.
The poorest SSD's can sustain only 300 write-cycles. For a 500GB drive that would mean writing 500.000 GB.
Uncompressed stereo audio needs about 14GB for 24 hours, so you could record audio for 36000 days or about 10 years non-stop before the SSD wears out.
More typical values are 3000 write cycles, and the best SSD's even up to 100.000 write cycles, so for recording audio that would be practically infinite.

Posted Fri 21 Jun 19 @ 8:42 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)