Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: DDJ SR2 Line Input Issue
Any Pioneer DDJ SR2 users having issues with the 2 line inputs? I use my Ipad for backup and requests that I may not have, but when I open VDJ 8 the line inputs shut off. For example i'm playing my Ipad on line 1 and everything is playing fine and as soon as I open VDJ the sound stops and as soon as I exit VDJ is starts back up. Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

Posted Sun 19 May 19 @ 6:40 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
In this case, you will probably find the Hardware mode more useful http://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/pioneer/ddjsr2/advanced.html
If you still need the software mode, you could add to the ONINIT key of the SR2 mapping an action to enable the lineins.
So the default action ..
fake_master on & fake_hp on
becomes ...
fake_master on & fake_hp on & deck 1 linein on & deck 2 linein on

but you would still get a short interruption and probably different output levels, so still think the Hardware mode is a better way.

Posted Sun 19 May 19 @ 7:02 pm
Thanks Dj Dad I'll give it a shot!

Posted Sun 19 May 19 @ 7:35 pm
Hmmm! when I try to program the hardware mode the keylock button does not light up after i hold sync play then power up release sync and play and hit keylock on right deck, am I doing something wrong?

Posted Sun 19 May 19 @ 7:49 pm
super7877 wrote :
Any Pioneer DDJ SR2 users having issues with the 2 line inputs? I use my Ipad for backup and requests that I may not have, but when I open VDJ 8 the line inputs shut off. For example i'm playing my Ipad on line 1 and everything is playing fine and as soon as I open VDJ the sound stops and as soon as I exit VDJ is starts back up. Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

Yes! I have this same issue! I keep my phone connected to the line input in case of a computer crash, etc... But I can't get any audio through the line inputs while VDJ 2018 is open. Once I close it, then I get audio again. Weird.... I thought it was just me. I'm gonna give the above suggestion a try and report back.

Posted Mon 20 May 19 @ 5:14 am
super7877 wrote :
Hmmm! when I try to program the hardware mode the keylock button does not light up after i hold sync play then power up release sync and play and hit keylock on right deck, am I doing something wrong?

Same thing here. I have tried everything, pressed the buttons stated plus others. Nothing works. Sigh... this is frustrating.

Posted Mon 20 May 19 @ 6:31 am
djdad wrote :
In this case, you will probably find the Hardware mode more useful http://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/pioneer/ddjsr2/advanced.html
If you still need the software mode, you could add to the ONINIT key of the SR2 mapping an action to enable the lineins.
So the default action ..
fake_master on & fake_hp on
becomes ...
fake_master on & fake_hp on & deck 1 linein on & deck 2 linein on

but you would still get a short interruption and probably different output levels, so still think the Hardware mode is a better way.

None of this information worked for me.

Posted Mon 20 May 19 @ 7:02 am
Sorry, had a typo in Manual (edited now). The key combination to enter Utilities is left SHIFT + left PLAY, and if those are pressed while you power on the unit, you will be able to turn on right KEYLOCK button an select the Hardware mode.
I just tried and works fine. While an external source is playing and PHONO/LINE Source is selected, then audio is not interrupted while VDJ is starting.

Please give it a try once more.

I also tried the other way i posted above (in Software mode) and works too. In this case i have the Line Ins in Audio setup as per manual, and the ONINIT as per my code above. When VDJ starts, external source continues playing, but with difference in output level, so still the first way (Hardware mode) is preferred.

Posted Mon 20 May 19 @ 9:46 am
djdad wrote :
left SHIFT + left PLAY

@super7877 and Djay 2Legit

This information can also be found in the DDJ-SR2 manual...

Posted Mon 20 May 19 @ 5:12 pm
djdad wrote :
but with difference in output level, so still the first way (Hardware mode) is preferred.

By the way, may be there is the way to fix this difference in output lvl in software mode? I often switch between VDJ and media player in my job, and need to touch "gain" knob every time.

Posted Mon 20 May 19 @ 7:14 pm
Depends on which source has higher level output for you, software or external ?
The zeroDB setting can reduce the software level if that is the case for you. Some players like CD Players also have an Output level knob at the rear panel. If those dont help, i guess you could find the Gain value that you put the Ext Source Channel and add to the mapping of the SOURCE something to set gain e.g. at 40% when LINE/PHONO is selected and back to 50% when a Deck is selected.

Posted Mon 20 May 19 @ 9:25 pm
djdad wrote :
Depends on which source has higher level output for you, software or external ?
The zeroDB setting can reduce the software level if that is the case for you. Some players like CD Players also have an Output level knob at the rear panel. If those dont help, i guess you could find the Gain value that you put the Ext Source Channel and add to the mapping of the SOURCE something to set gain e.g. at 40% when LINE/PHONO is selected and back to 50% when a Deck is selected.

I use media player, on the same laptop, which i use for VDJ. So it software player and volume set at 100% of couse. The output source for player set as "internal sound card" of my laptop and there is cable from laptop's minijack output to line input of my controller. Sound level of VDJ is higher than player. If i change zero db setting in VDJ, it will also affect software player gain.
I dont understand how i can make mapping for "set gain at 40%". Gain lvl depends on the position of the "trim" or "gain" knob, right? If i make mapping for my line in button like "set gain at 40%", but hardware gain knob will be at 60% for example, what will happen?

Posted Mon 20 May 19 @ 10:09 pm
Woo Hoo thanks guys shift play was the ticket! I used the hardware option the software setup did not work for me maybe cause Mac not sure, but thanks for all the input.

Dave

Posted Mon 20 May 19 @ 11:07 pm
djdad wrote :
Sorry, had a typo in Manual (edited now). The key combination to enter Utilities is left SHIFT + left PLAY, and if those are pressed while you power on the unit, you will be able to turn on right KEYLOCK button an select the Hardware mode.
I just tried and works fine. While an external source is playing and PHONO/LINE Source is selected, then audio is not interrupted while VDJ is starting.

Please give it a try once more.

I also tried the other way i posted above (in Software mode) and works too. In this case i have the Line Ins in Audio setup as per manual, and the ONINIT as per my code above. When VDJ starts, external source continues playing, but with difference in output level, so still the first way (Hardware mode) is preferred.

I just tried this and it works great! Thanks so much djdad!!! I truly appreciate you getting back to us with the answer.

Posted Tue 21 May 19 @ 6:44 am
Smooth78PRO SubscriberMember since 2015
Sorry I am late to the discussion but I am having an odd issue with my SR2. When I plug in the AC adapter the line in sound cuts off. I saw in an in a reply where someone said "add to the ONINIT key of the SR2 mapping". How do you go about doing that? I have tried multiple ways and this odd thing just happens it works in software and hardware mode if I only attach the USB cord to my MacBook. If I plug in my AC adapter I have to unplug the USB cable. I have the unit in software mode and I want to have both cables plugged into the unit. Also I can't seem to locate the Line in button on VDJ 8. Can someone attach screenshots to the this thread So I can make sure I have my sound card options correct. Also can someone take a screenshot of the VDJ GUI and point to where I should see line in or the button on the controller that I should be pushing to trigger the line in option on ? Thanks look forward to the solution been working on this problem for the last 3 weeks.

Posted Mon 07 Jun 21 @ 12:14 pm
Sorry I am late to the discussion but I am having an odd issue with my SR2. When I plug in the AC adapter the line in sound cuts off. I saw in an in a reply where someone said "add to the ONINIT key of the SR2 mapping". How do you go about doing that? I have tried multiple ways and this odd thing just happens it works in software and hardware mode if I only attach the USB cord to my MacBook. If I plug in my AC adapter I have to unplug the USB cable. I have the unit in software mode and I want to have both cables plugged into the unit. Also I can't seem to locate the Line in button on VDJ 8. Can someone attach screenshots to the this thread So I can make sure I have my sound card options correct. Also can someone take a screenshot of the VDJ GUI and point to where I should see line in or the button on the controller that I should be pushing to trigger the line in option on ? Thanks look forward to the solution been working on this problem for the last 3 weeks.

Posted Mon 07 Jun 21 @ 12:16 pm
Smooth78 wrote :
..."add to the ONINIT key of the SR2 mapping". How do you go about doing that?

Search for the ONINIT key in Mapping of SR2 and edit its action.

Smooth78 wrote :
... Also I can't seem to locate the Line in button on VDJ 8..

First you need to have linein inputs in your Audio setup as per the manual https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/pioneer/ddjsr2/advanced.html 2nd pic

then you ll need to enable the panel and select it...

Posted Mon 07 Jun 21 @ 12:23 pm
Thank you spot on and not using the DDJ SR2 skin use the Default pro skin and magic the button appears. Thank you you will be the reason I drop 299 for the infinity liscense !!!!

Posted Mon 07 Jun 21 @ 7:57 pm