Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: OS2L advice

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

fjtoobHome userMember since 2016
I am hoping to utilise VDJ OS2L beat data to trigger my own DMX software using the VDJ os2lDirectIp setting to connect directly without using Bonjour or Zeroconf.

However I cannot see any messages being sent from VDJ when a track is playing on master.
In options i have:
os2l set to YES
os2lDirectIp set to 192.161.1.31:4444

1. Is the format for the os2lDirectIp field correct? ie IP:PORT (IP colon port)

2. Can anyone think why I am unable to see any network messages? I'm using Wireshark network analyzer and seeing nothing from VDJ on any interface: Ethernet/WiFi/LAN for port 4444 (or any port for that matter)

Posted Mon 25 Feb 19 @ 2:19 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
For the direct connection to be started, you need to send a command to the server manually, using os2l_cmd for example

Posted Mon 25 Feb 19 @ 2:57 pm
Thanks for the reply, I tried sending "os2l_cmd 1 on" patched to a button press but I do not see any output. I'm assuming VDJ should be outputting OS2L beat messages while a track is playing by default. ie I do not have to do anything else just listen on the correct port for the messages?

Posted Mon 25 Feb 19 @ 3:37 pm
The command should be enough to attempt the connection.
Once the connection is established you will indeed get beat messages continuously.
You are listening using TCP on the port and address specified?

Posted Mon 25 Feb 19 @ 3:59 pm
Yes TCP on port 4444, same computer that VDJ is on and os2ldirectIp is set to pc IP colon 4444

Posted Mon 25 Feb 19 @ 4:13 pm
I'm not sure but in this case ip should be 127.0.0.1 (loopback)

Posted Mon 25 Feb 19 @ 4:40 pm
Something not right, 127.0.0.1:4444 and still no tcp output even when sending button press configured to: os2l_cmd 1 on. Plenty off other tcp packets shown in sniffer but nothing for that port number or anything in time with the button press or music beat led flash.

Posted Mon 25 Feb 19 @ 5:29 pm
If you open Resource Monitor, your program is listed under Network->Listening Ports ?

Posted Mon 25 Feb 19 @ 5:46 pm
Thanks
Under TCP Connections...
virtualdj8.exe ip=192.168.1.83 localport=2327 remoteport=80

Listening Ports...
TCPServer.vshostsexe address=IPv4 port=4444 protocol=TCP firewallstatus=Allowed,restricted

I have a screenshot but non sure if I can add it, no option.

Posted Mon 25 Feb 19 @ 7:21 pm
Maybe firewall problem, since it says restricted?

Posted Mon 25 Feb 19 @ 7:44 pm
It says both "Allowed, restricted" like many others. However with Firewall off VDJ appears not to be sending anything?
(Allowed local, restricted public)

Posted Mon 25 Feb 19 @ 7:48 pm
Running out of ideas..
Apart from the VDJ options:
os2l=yes
and
os2lDirectIp=127.0.0.1:4444
Are there any other settings in options that need to be set to make OS2L messages be sent, as nothing is being transmitted.
Or another solution?
To recap I'm trying to capture beat signals from the master output in VDJ to capture into my own DMX lighting software. OS2L or any other protocol?

Posted Tue 26 Feb 19 @ 10:30 am
This is no longer an issue. As mentioned you have to send at least one OS2L message before VDJ will send it's beats messages. I thought I was sending the initial command but I was sending it incorrectly. Thanks everyone who replied.

Posted Fri 01 Mar 19 @ 1:09 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)