Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Pioneer CDJ 900 & DJM 750 set up

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

deepjcPRO InfinityMember since 2016
Hi,

Im trying to set up my CDJ 900 & DJM 750 with virtual dj pro 8,

Ive got the mixer and both CDJ's connected by usb, on channel 2 & 3 of the mixer (the mixer is switched to USB) I've had it working once but now it's not ? I'm using channels 1 & 4 for vinyl.

What settings should i have in the preferences (Audio) for this set up & how do i record mixes

Posted Sun 02 Dec 18 @ 3:01 pm
deepjc wrote :
Hi,

Im trying to set up my CDJ 900 & DJM 750 with virtual dj pro 8,

Ive got the mixer and both CDJ's connected by usb, on channel 2 & 3 of the mixer (the mixer is switched to USB) I've had it working once but now it's not ? I'm using channels 1 & 4 for vinyl.

What settings should i have in the preferences (Audio) for this set up & how do i record mixes

Posted Sun 02 Dec 18 @ 5:30 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Don't you get the "special" Pioneer DJM-750 button in the Audio tab of VirtualDJ Settings under "CARD" ?
If you do and press it , it should create an audio setup, similar to the one the DJM-850 offers.. ( http://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/pioneer/djm850/installation.html )
Even if you dont use 4 VDJ Decks, the same configuration will work with 2 as well, as long as you keep using the middle 2 and 3 mixer channels.

For recording, i believe the 750 doesnt offer any dedicated USB input to record (as the 750MKII does), but you could use one of the 4 inputs and declare it as REC OUT... See Recording section of DJM-850 (should be similar) http://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/pioneer/djm850/advanced.html
then add a "record" line in the VDJ Audio setup using the same channels you declared as REC OUT

Posted Mon 03 Dec 18 @ 12:37 pm
Hi Thanks,

Yeah i do but none of the faders or sliders work on virtual dj interface ( should they move when i move the faders on the DJM ?)

Posted Tue 04 Dec 18 @ 5:21 pm
The DJM is a real hardware mixer. You don't need the software mixer in VDJ when you have a real one. Therefore it's pointless to use the DJM as a controller.

My suggested setup would be to use the two CDJs via USB as controllers and audio interfaces (feeding their audio output to separate channels of the DJM) and use the DJM purely as an audio mixer. Set VDJ to external mixer mode. Use a skin that doesn't have a mixer on screen.

Posted Tue 04 Dec 18 @ 6:08 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
groovindj wrote :
The DJM is a real hardware mixer. You don't need the software mixer in VDJ when you have a real one. Therefore it's pointless to use the DJM as a controller.

You keep posting this kind of message every time a user is asking from his mixer to work as MIDI, but really it makes absolute sense to me ,someone wanting his mixer to work as expected Besides, having a MIDI mixer is helpful in Video mixing (among others)

groovindj wrote :
My suggested setup would be to use the two CDJs via USB as controllers and audio interfaces (feeding their audio output to separate channels of the DJM) and use the DJM purely as an audio mixer. Set VDJ to external mixer mode. Use a skin that doesn't have a mixer on screen.

I would say that the opposite is recommended. Instead of using 2 sound cards (2 buffers), use 1 sound card and 1 buffer.

deepjc wrote :
...but none of the faders or sliders work on virtual dj interface ( should they move when i move the faders on the DJM ?)

They should...
1. In VDJ Settings->Controllers tab, do you see the Pioneer DJM-750 on the top-left list (along with your Keyboard and other connected devices) ?
2. If you see that and select it, do you get the "factory" default Mapping available at the top-right drop list ?
3. Have you enabled the MIDI on the mixer ? (Left side MIDI section, ON button)

Posted Wed 05 Dec 18 @ 3:53 am
djdad wrote :

You keep posting this kind of message

Yes because it seems illogical to me, to spend a lot of money on a real hardware mixer, then use it as a MIDI controller. Same applies to standalone hardware media players like the CDJ-2000 or SC5000. Why spend extra money on something designed for standalone use, then "waste" it by using it as a MIDI controller?

IMO if you want to use DJ software, buy a controller. If you don't want to use DJ software, buy CDJs and a DJM (or similar).

Yes I know that the MIDI can be useful as a backup option, but so many here seem to just want to use them as very expensive controllers. It makes me think they don't understand the difference - controller vs standalone.

Posted Wed 05 Dec 18 @ 6:26 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
The most common situation where this certainly makes sense is if the mixers and decks are already available, as is common for club dj's.
Just plug in the usb and use the existing equipment.

Posted Wed 05 Dec 18 @ 6:36 pm
Exactly.

There are people on the Denon forum looking for midi support (various softwares) for the SC5000/X1800

Surely they could save an absolute fortune by just getting the MC7000 or MCX8000.

Makes me think sometimes people just buy things for the bling factor rather than a practical use case.

Posted Wed 05 Dec 18 @ 6:44 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

In fact I don't see nothing wrong to setting DJMs and CDJs in midi/hid mode. For me is very useful to use the mixer crossfader for video mixing and customize some mixer buttons too. You can setup redundant audio outs too, so I can have both CDJs and DJMs with audio out so just need to switch between USB and LINE IN in the mixer in case something goes worng with the mixer usb audio or from line in to usb in case the CDJ goes wrong.

There is nothing wrong to get ALL in the setup, you can mix with cd's, usb flash drives & computer too. But using the computer with VirtualDJ you can also have video in full HD and 60 fps if you want it (and have it), or use the integrated video visual effects when just playing audio from a usb flash drive connected in the computer (and not the cdj).

There isn't any controller from any price that may match the DJM+CDJ setup, is a real "plus" to allow this to be used by the computer too.

You can try the audio setup for the DJM (just click in the DJM icon inside the audio setup) and also add the CDJs to the audio setup to have a redundant audio out by just adding CDJ1 (left) to virtualdj deck 1 out and CDJ2 (right) to virtualdj deck 2 out

Another tip is to test 44.1KHz sample rate at 24 bits if possible (or 48KHz) and check what sound best for you with your current setup.

;-)

Posted Fri 07 Dec 18 @ 8:35 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)