Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Use dual USB connection on Pioneer DDJ-1000 - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

It would be nice to be able to hook up my back-up PC to the second USB connection on the DDJ-1000.
I would like it to function this way:

Channels 1,2,3 are assigned to USB A which is main PC.
Channel 4 assigned to USB B which is backup PC.

What I dont understand is how the MIDI will work if two computers connected to one controller. Of course I only want channel 4 midi to be used by backup pc. Is this possible?

Posted Thu 22 Nov 18 @ 7:50 am
Yes it is (possible)

Basically the firmware of the device sends MIDI messages on each port only for elements that their "source" switch (on top of the mixer) is set to this port.

So:
Deck 1 & 2 set to USB A:
DDJ-1000 sends and receives MIDI messages on USB port A ONLY for deck 1 & 2 controls (rest is ignored)
Deck 4 set to USB B:
DDJ-1000 sends and receives MIDI messages on USB port B ONLY for deck 4 controls (rest is ignored)
Deck 3 set to line:
DDJ-1000 does not send or receives any MIDI messages on BOTH USB ports for deck 3 controls

That's how it works (simplified of course :P)

Posted Thu 22 Nov 18 @ 9:41 am
I tried yesterday, but even if channel 4 was set to USB B on the DDJ, the fader channel 4 on both computers changed at the same time.

Posted Thu 22 Nov 18 @ 9:44 am
Yes, the volume fader changed, but you didn't hear any sound, did you ?

As I said, my explanation above was simplified for understanding purposes.
The mixer part will still send data on both ports and VirtualDJ will read this data. That's to avoid having to "sync" your volume fader and EQ controls between hardware & software every time you switch USB ports. However the deck that's not assigned on the corresponding USB port is muted.
Also it's "deck" layer (play/cue/pads e.t.c.) does NOT send or receive data from both ports

Posted Thu 22 Nov 18 @ 10:02 am
Ok that makes sense.

How must I do the audio setup on the backup pc, which will only use channel 4 on the DDJ.
On the backup pc I will for example use Deck 1. Or perhaps I could use the crossfader on the DDJ to control both deck 1 and 2 on the backup since not used on the main pc.

Posted Thu 22 Nov 18 @ 10:06 am
You should use the default audio setup for BOTH PC's
Then use the switchers on top to select which deck is controlled by which PC

The rest job is done by the mapper, and the device itself.
You must NOT alter the default audio setup, since in that case the mapper may NOT work properly (and mute a "live" deck when it shouldn't e.t.c.)

Posted Thu 22 Nov 18 @ 10:10 am
Great! More simple than I thought. Will try this
Thanks Phantom for always quick advice!

Posted Thu 22 Nov 18 @ 10:13 am
Seems this does not work as it should.
Using default audio settings on both computers results in weird things to happen.
For example play deck 1 or 2 on USB B makes sound appear in headphones channel without even pressing CUE on DDJ.
Also, using a fader assigned to USB A makes sound come through to master even if USB B is playing.

Posted Thu 22 Nov 18 @ 5:44 pm
Have you changed default mapper ?

<map value="SOURCE_USBA" action="var '$usb_con' ? set 'linech' 2 & mute on : set 'linech' 0 & mute off " />
<map value="SOURCE_USBB" action="var '$usb_con' ? set 'linech' 0 & mute off & linein off : set 'linech' 2 & mute on & linein off" />
<map value="SOURCE_LINE" action="set 'linech' 1 & mute on" />
<map value="USB_CON" action="set '$usb_con' 1" />

It is critical that the above lines of the mapper are NOT changed

Posted Thu 22 Nov 18 @ 8:25 pm
NO - I use all original mapping and audio settings

Posted Thu 22 Nov 18 @ 10:38 pm
I will retest. Do you use latest firmware and drivers?

Posted Thu 22 Nov 18 @ 11:00 pm
Yes for the DDJ I use latest firmware and drivers
VDJ build 4291

Posted Fri 23 Nov 18 @ 5:49 am
Phantom, did you test this on your end yet ?

Posted Sun 25 Nov 18 @ 8:56 pm
Mobile Zombie wrote :

VDJ build 4291

That build is more than 6 months old. I’d suggest updating to see if that helps.

Posted Mon 26 Nov 18 @ 1:35 pm
No. First step would be for you guys to actually try if my issue is related or not to a bug inside VDJ.
I should not need to update my stable system 'just in case' it helps.

Posted Mon 26 Nov 18 @ 1:47 pm
i would like to work with you

Posted Mon 26 Nov 18 @ 4:18 pm
Oh really ?
Don’t hi jack threads with nonsense

Posted Mon 26 Nov 18 @ 9:22 pm
I just retested DDJ-1000 and it works as it should.
However, just in case, when you connect both computers (and VirtualDJ is running on both) move the source switchers back and forth between USB A and USB B to make sure all variables used are initialized properly...

Posted Tue 27 Nov 18 @ 12:19 am
Yes, it think I get it to work now. By flipping the switches when both PC's are connected.
One question if this is possible to do: On the second PC connected USB B , can I set to use its Deck 1 and Deck 2 instead of 3 and 4 ?
I prefer using two decks skins.

Posted Fri 30 Nov 18 @ 10:12 am
Yes. By flipping the switches on top.

Posted Fri 30 Nov 18 @ 1:13 pm
91%