Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: ddj-SB3 low volume with vdj 8

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have a pioneer ddj-sb3
sound output is much softer with vdj8 than with serato the limiter intervenes very quickly which causes problems while running in the club because I have to put the amplifiers at full power to make reasonable noise in the club
and that brings other problems

Posted Sat 16 Jun 18 @ 12:36 pm
what other problem is it causing?

I am sure you prefer distortion free music over loud nasty sounding music right?

Posted Sat 16 Jun 18 @ 12:38 pm
no distortion with serato but a lot louder

Posted Sat 16 Jun 18 @ 1:19 pm
I don't see how the output can be softer and triggering the limiter, because if the VDJ limiter is kicking in then you're already pushing things beyond where they're supposed to go - that's why the limiter is there, to prevent overload/distortion when people ignore the gain, meters etc.

Computers have a digital maximum, beyond which they can't go. The rest is down to how much output your audio interface has, and the SB3 is not going to pump out very much. It's really only designed for home use, with its RCA outputs.

If the VDJ limiter is triggered then you have reached the digital maximum. Serato (DJ Pro?) possibly has a nicer sounding limiter, but it won't be putting any more volume into your controller, because of the digital maximum (0dB). No software can go beyond that.

BTW you shouldn't have VDJ "running in the club" without a Pro license.

Posted Sat 16 Jun 18 @ 2:24 pm

When I volunteer to try out new gear at a charity for charity, I do not need pro-licensing for unpaid work
these are things that I come across and report here to see if I am the only one with that problem
if I do not have enough output with the one program and with the other with the same settings i do, then that problem does not have to do with the hardware
but the software

Posted Sat 16 Jun 18 @ 3:03 pm
Unpaid? So you're working all these regular gigs at Sylvia's for no money? That's very nice of you.

Posted Sat 16 Jun 18 @ 3:28 pm
dj zarsja wrote :

When I volunteer to try out new gear at a charity for charity, I do not need pro-licensing for unpaid work
these are things that I come across and report here to see if I am the only one with that problem
if I do not have enough output with the one program and with the other with the same settings i do, then that problem does not have to do with the hardware
but the software

do you have the limiter on in serato if so the sound should be at the same volume in both programs (Unless seratos limiter is actually a compressor also). that would be a fair comparison. If you do not then you are most certainly going above zerodb in serato and there will be distortion. Any time any program goes above zerodb in the digital world there will be distortion.

if you want to boost volume without distortion you could run something like loudmax VST on the master out it will keep u below zerodb and give the illusion of more volume if set properly. Keep in mind with too much compression you will get listener fatigue and people will hate the sound.

Posted Sat 16 Jun 18 @ 3:28 pm
Thanks thats info You can use

Posted Sat 16 Jun 18 @ 6:06 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)