Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Controller losing connection but audio continues

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I was djing yesterday and I encountered a problem I've not experienced before. I was using my Numark NS6 with the latest public build of VDJ and every so often the controller would 'lose' connection with my Asus laptop. The sound would continue to play but I lost all control of the buttons, jog wheels etc. I restarted everything and tried a different USB port but the problem reoccurred. After a few more restarts it seemed to settle down and I was able yo play the whole night, however every now and then the waveform would freeze for about a second and the sound would cut out and then continue. It was my first time playing in this venue and my question is 'do you think the electrics could have been causing this issue?' I was using the same USB cable with my NS6 at home and I've never had this happen before.

Posted Mon 04 Dec 17 @ 3:23 pm
It could be the mains supply, and it also could be some kind of airborne interference (RFI). Running your kit through a UPS is one possible solution if it's in the mains. The other is to use USB cables with RFI filters/chokes on (or fit some to your existing cables).

Posted Mon 04 Dec 17 @ 5:54 pm
Thanks groovindj. I think I will invest in some new USB leads.

Posted Mon 04 Dec 17 @ 7:00 pm

Posted Tue 05 Dec 17 @ 3:59 am
I had this issue for quite while when I was using my XDJ-R1 last year and couldn't find the cause.

Turned out to be a faulty USB cable, even though it was new and the problem went away instantly.

Posted Mon 18 Dec 17 @ 11:26 am
Thanks for your reply. The strange thing is that I use the same USB lead every day with my NS6 when I’m at home using my desktop pc, and I’ve never had this issue before. I’ve also used my NS6 with my Asus laptop in other venues with no issues. So that makes me think there was possibly some kind of electrical, or as was suggested, radio frequency interference in the venue that was causing the problem.

Posted Mon 18 Dec 17 @ 5:56 pm
OK, that was then. Try using the same cable at home now, to see if the problem is still there. If it is working fine at home now, then we can think about some issues that may be in the club.

Posted Mon 18 Dec 17 @ 8:18 pm
A Man and His Music wrote :
OK, that was then. Try using the same cable at home now, to see if the problem is still there. If it is working fine at home now, then we can think about some issues that may be in the club.

The USB cable that I use at home is the same cable that I used in the venue.

Posted Mon 18 Dec 17 @ 10:33 pm
I understand that. So, you have used it at home for a period of time, after the incident at the club, and it works fine?

Posted Tue 19 Dec 17 @ 12:28 am
Yes I have used it at home after the incident with no problems whatsoever. Actually I forgot to mention that I had a spare usb cable in my bag and I tried that one also, but the problem was still there.

Posted Tue 19 Dec 17 @ 12:47 am
Any old fog machine running in the club ?

Posted Tue 19 Dec 17 @ 7:43 am
DJ FusiPRO InfinityMember since 2005

Posted Tue 19 Dec 17 @ 9:17 am
Thank you all for your comments, I appreciate you taking the time to try and help me.
There wasn’t a fog machine running whilst I was there but there was a small Christmas tree with LED lights that was near me! I did wonder if somehow that was causing the problem.
My laptop is an Asus N55S and I had the controller connected to the usb 2.0 port on the right, and my usb 3.0 external hard drive connected on the left port.
What I found strange was that the audio continued to play. I would have thought if the usb cable lost connection then I would lose sound also.
I might be playing at the club again over the Christmas period so I’m going to contact the club owner and ask if I can come in for a few hours and experiment a little. I’m thinking of buying a new usb cable which has ferrite chokes fitted and maybe a quality mains extension lead.

Posted Tue 19 Dec 17 @ 2:51 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
If that happens again, try to goto VirtualDJ Settings->Controllers tab, right-click on your Controller at the top-left list and choose "Reconnect"

Posted Tue 19 Dec 17 @ 3:14 pm
toppadon wrote :
a quality mains extension lead

Perhaps try something like this one.

Posted Tue 19 Dec 17 @ 7:17 pm
Oh please , that will give the same change as painting the computer pink. That is nothing.
Don’t trust those so called products ’dramatically change the sound and so on’
Almost like directional speaker cables. LOL
Anyway , it’s very hard to pinpoint the Exact cause of controllers loose connection.
Normally works perfect at home and appear again at gigs. I added ferrites across my usb leads to add a bit of common mode attenuation of RF, it does not hurt the signal if applied in reasonable values of inductance.

Posted Wed 20 Dec 17 @ 6:29 pm
FYI I'm not claiming that it will change the sound. It does have built in protection and filtering. I only posted that particular one as an example anyway.

Posted Wed 20 Dec 17 @ 6:31 pm
Yes, I fully get your point and the advice could be as good as anything else.
But the warning lights should start to light when products claim to improve audio quality and 'open up the highs' or similair stories.
People marketing such products are not trustful enough to know what they are doing in terms of 'mains filtering' to actually make a difference for a professional PA system.

Posted Thu 21 Dec 17 @ 5:26 pm
DJ Fusi wrote :
There has been USB problem with ASUS laptop over the years (usb3) , disconnecting, reconnecting (USB ports stops working randomly). I have ASUS ROG and the 2 Usb ports on the left side are always disconnecting. I had to change the BIOS settings, and now I'm only using usb2 on all ports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgxDeX9vnu8
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53877-G751-Problem-with-USB3-0-ports-(left-side)-and-external-HD-anyone-else

Yes, the issue with my ROG is, you can't use hard drives, on the 2 left ports. I use my controllers on the 2 left ports and a powered hub for my 4 externals on the right side.

Posted Tue 26 Dec 17 @ 10:04 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)