Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Cue points BPM vanished

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi, I've been using VDJ 7 for a little over a year, DJing 4 nights a week, without any problems. I DJ at one location so nothing is moved around.

Last night I discovered that a large chunk of my cue points and BPM information were missing. There is a computer at the venue I DJ at, some of the songs are stored in this computer and some of the songs are stored in an external hard drive which remains connected to the computer.

I noticed that the songs missing their database information were the songs stored on the external hard drive, the songs stored on the computer's hard drive seem to be intact.

It is my understanding that in the case I described above, a duplicate database.xml file would be stored on both the computer's hard drive and the external hard drive. Is this correct?

To fix this problem, would I need to copy one of the database files from one location to the other? I'm guessing that I will need to copy the database.xml file from the computer's hard drive to the external drive, is this correct? Is it certain that one of the xml files is correct and the other is not?

I want to check with you guys before I go and make any changes that I've not done before. Thanks for your time.

Posted Sat 05 Dec 15 @ 3:25 pm
So the computer and the external drive don't belong to you? You just go to the venue and use them?

Do other people use the computer and hard drive?

It sounds like maybe someone has deleted or moved the database on the external drive. You can't just copy the computer's database to the external drive. They're different.

If the external drive database is gone, then that drive will have to be scanned again - and the cue points remade.

Ideally (as with using any computers) the data should have been backup up. Then it would just be a case of copying the backup database file onto the drive again.

Posted Sat 05 Dec 15 @ 5:03 pm
Yes the computer and the hard drive remain at the venue. Other people use it on occasion, but I had just used the computer on Thursday night and nothing was wrong. Came in on Friday and cue points and BPM were missing. No one had messed with it between those times, I verified this with the owner.

My experience before VDJ was with Serato, and I was never required to backup any sort of database files in that program, so I assumed this one was the same. I am planning to go into the venue early tonight and rescan all the songs and add cue points, but I was hoping that there was another solution that would not take several hours.

Posted Sat 05 Dec 15 @ 5:56 pm
Before you start rescanning, check everywhere on the external drive to see if the local database file has maybe been moved. If the drive is always connected to the same computer, maybe the database is in the recycle bin...

Anyone that uses a computer (for anything) should always be taking backups of important files like this. As you've discovered, it's a nightmare to lose it.

If you do end up rescanning everything, back up that file!

Posted Sat 05 Dec 15 @ 6:18 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)