Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Mic Volume Control Vestax vci-400

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Not sure what I am wanting to do is possible - I'm a complete noob when it comes to hardware controllers, and the midi interface.

However - I have it 'sort of' working, which tells me it could just be a programming error on my end?
I use the vestax vci-400, Vitrual DJ 8, and a USB microphone to stream online. I'm wanting to move away from any mouse or keyboard controls, so I'd like to assign the mic on/off, or mic volume to one of the controls in the center of the mixer, normally used for video - I think.

I've figured out that the small slider control is called "VIDEO_FX_PARAM", and I've tried setting that to mic_volume - but when I use the slider - it either adjusts the mic to full volume, and stops working, or, adjusts the mic to zero volume, and stops working. I want it to work as a volume slider - is there any way to do this?

Posted Mon 16 Nov 15 @ 5:08 pm
As a temporary solution - I have remapped one of the video tac swtiches to turn the mic on and off. I would still like to adjust its volume on the fly however.

Posted Mon 16 Nov 15 @ 5:52 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Can't you remap the mic vol sliders at the top left corner of the unit?

Posted Mon 16 Nov 15 @ 6:08 pm

Posted Mon 16 Nov 15 @ 9:06 pm
Another strange thing - the slider seems to be working, just not getting applied, if that makes sense.

When I move the slider that I have bound to mic volume, i can see the 'ghost' knob turn in vdj (similar to when you move your crossfader via software, how it shows the "echo" from the hardware slider so you know where it is?) But the volume does not change.

Posted Mon 16 Nov 15 @ 9:11 pm
.....and you have this USB mic configured as a mic input to VDJ? Is the mic actually sending a signal through VDJ (can you hear it on VDJs output)?

Have you got the mic working OK (as above) just with VDJ - no controller?

Posted Mon 16 Nov 15 @ 9:48 pm
The mic works fine. No issues there - I was just hoping to map the volume and on/off features to the controller. I have the on/off working, and if that's all I get, then that's what I'll work with. The slider, I've noticed in my tinkering seem to work in one direction only. IE, if I have it set up as mic_volume, it will only turn the volume UP. If I crank it all the way down via VDJ using the mouse, then the slider will turn it up. If I set it as mic_volume 0 it only turns the volume DOWN, but once its down, I cannot go back up. If I try to adjust it in the opposite direction, I see the 'ghost' knob, as I explained above, where I can see that the controller shows where the knob should/would be, but the software just ignores that input.

Posted Mon 16 Nov 15 @ 10:04 pm
http://prntscr.com/93kb7h

That's the 'ghost' knob, as I was explaining it.
Here's another new development, when I fired up VDJ to take that screenshot, the volume slider worked EXACTLY as I expected, the mic volume was going up and down. In my shock, I said, "What the heck!?" and as soon as the mic picked up my voice, the slider stopped responding.

Really confused! haha

Posted Mon 16 Nov 15 @ 10:06 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Oh sorry, I mixed it up with the denon 4000.
The button you are talking about is an endless knob right?
Maybe that is the problem.
Have you tried to map the action to another non endless slider? Just for testing purposes?

Posted Tue 17 Nov 15 @ 6:00 pm
No, it is in fact a slider.
http://prntscr.com/93usji

its the one I've circled on that screenshot. When I move it, it shows up as VIDEO_FX_PARAM, i tried binding that to mic_vol, but keep getting the results I posted above.
I'm starting to wonder if its just not going to work with a USB microphone. The slider works to control the volume PERFECTLY - untill the very second the mic picks up sound. If I cough, or say anything, the slider stops responding, and the volume locks where it was when I made the sound.

The only thing that confuses me is the software recognizes the slider is moved, since it shows the 'ghost' knob I mentioned above. Strange!

Posted Tue 17 Nov 15 @ 6:20 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)