Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: a really old MBP

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi everyone. Here's an oldie but a goodie.

I have 17 inch MBP from 2009. Its a 5,2. Intel Core 2 Duo. 4GB of 1067 memory. 500GB hard drive. NVIDIA GeForce 9400M video card. Running OSX 10.6.8

thinking about using this as a (very heavey LOL) backup computer. So here's my question. Can I run either VDJ7 or VDJ8 off this computer? Please note that I do NOT want to play music videos - just mp3s.

I looked online for upgrades. I can easily go from 4 to 8 memory, but I don't know if that will really do that much for mp3 playing. SSD drive - don't think it would work on this old of a computer. Don't know if I can upgrade the Core 2 to anything faster.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated!!

Posted Tue 27 Oct 15 @ 10:36 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Yes, but to run VDJ8 you'll have to upgrade to at least OSX 10.7.

Posted Wed 28 Oct 15 @ 2:23 am
dcomoPRO InfinityMember since 2012
Upgrading the RAM from 4 > 8 GB, and replace the HDD with an SSD will give this laptop some new life, however you are stuck with that processor since that is not upgradable.

You will likely spend about $300.00, depending on the size of the SSD you install. (That price can get you a 256GB and a RAM upgrade from someone like NewEgg.)

That laptop will be fine for music, however video, not so much!!

Posted Wed 28 Oct 15 @ 4:53 pm
DJCG22PRO InfinityMember since 2008
I use a 13inch mbp from late 2011.the specs are a intel i5 with 4gigs of ram and a 500gb hd Yosemite OS X with a NS7fx and i have no problems running vdj8 mixing with music videos in mp4 format. I also can use slideshow with scroll text at the same time and no issues cpu meter runs about 15% to 25%. however i want to upgrade it to the full 16gb ram and add a ssd just to have it keep up with the times.

Posted Thu 29 Oct 15 @ 2:04 am
buckeyedj wrote :
Hi everyone. Here's an oldie but a goodie.

I have 17 inch MBP from 2009. Its a 5,2. Intel Core 2 Duo. 4GB of 1067 memory. 500GB hard drive. NVIDIA GeForce 9400M video card. Running OSX 10.6.8

thinking about using this as a (very heavey LOL) backup computer. So here's my question. Can I run either VDJ7 or VDJ8 off this computer? Please note that I do NOT want to play music videos - just mp3s.

I looked online for upgrades. I can easily go from 4 to 8 memory, but I don't know if that will really do that much for mp3 playing. SSD drive - don't think it would work on this old of a computer. Don't know if I can upgrade the Core 2 to anything faster.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated!!

I just bought a 15" Mid 09 off Ebay with no hard drive in it. I put 8 Gigs of Ram in and a 500 Gig SSD to get it going. Since there was no HDD to take out I couldn't clone anything and Apple just installed Yosemite for me for free in it. Works just fine, but I have not used it out on the road yet. I'm still trying to sort some issues out with transferring everything from my PC to the MBP before I use it in a live environment. The MBP responds a lot quicker then the PC tho.

Posted Wed 04 Nov 15 @ 11:10 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)