Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Two quite serious issues - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I'm running VDJ 8 build 1072 on Windows 8.1 with the Pioneer DDJ-SX2. This has been happening for several weeks now and also on the previous few builds to that.

1 - Hit the play button, track plays on the screen but no actual sound
2 - Hit the play button and the track starts somewhere during the song and not at the start or cue 1

I thought I was going mad but the things above happen a couple of times during a 5 hour gig. Has anyone else noticed this?

Could it be the Pioneer Asio driver, my custom mapping or VDJ itself?

Pretty serious stuff and wrecking my gigs.

Posted Sun 25 Oct 15 @ 1:43 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
How did you map the play button?

While you see it playing on screen, do the vu meters on the screen move or not?

Posted Sun 25 Oct 15 @ 2:34 am
Hi Adion, thanks for the quick reply.

I will set up my gear at home later today and advise. As it's so random I will have to play about a bit to see if I can recreate the issues posted.

Cheers - Keith

Posted Sun 25 Oct 15 @ 9:49 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
1072? I assume that's a typo?

Edit: Oh you mean controller build, my bad.

Posted Sun 25 Oct 15 @ 10:05 am
Hi Adion, PLAY_PAUSE is mapped as follows: play_pause & var 'CueON' ? set 'PlayClick' 1 : nothing

Scott, the machine is on 2483.1072

I got the second thing to happen just now. Loaded the track which has two cue points (1 & 2) but when I hit play the track started about a minute in. Now here's the weird thing. The deck wave display and the scrolling wave along the top show correctly what should be playing, but the actual sound is not matching the wave form at all. I left it playing to the end and there was a minute of dead air at the end but the waveforms were showing it playing as it should have been from the start. Weird!

I unloaded the deck and reloaded the track and it played correctly second time around.

Posted Sun 25 Oct 15 @ 10:58 am
Any update on this guys?

Thinking about it the fact a track has no sound at all or that it starts in a strange place could be the same issue causing both scenarios?

Posted Mon 26 Oct 15 @ 7:06 pm
I use SX2 on the club all the time on a very old PC. I never experienced issues like these, on a PC that is bound to produce issues just because it's underpowered! I would advise you to check everything you've done on your mapper and everything you do on your routine in order to give us a better explanation and perhaps a way to reproduce these issues.

Playing head jumping a little back - a little forward may be due to smart_play being enabled.
Playing head jumping to random positions may be an issue with "slip" if you use any "fancy" scripting.
Sound being muted is also something that should not happen unless you use "fancy" scripts.
Check your screen. Do you see any ghost sliders when you get this ?
Do the vu-meters move on the controller ?
Is the gain on skin displayed on correct position ?
E.t.c.
It's really hard to help if we can't reproduce or get proper feedback.

Posted Thu 29 Oct 15 @ 10:37 am
Thanks for your reply George.

Problem is when it happens at a gig I panic to reload the track and don't really notice what's happening on the screen.

First thing I have done is to change the drivers to use WDM instead of Asio, and so far it's been fine. There's nothing fancy in my mapper and I don't use smart play.

I will keep an eye on it this weekend and report back with more information if these things happen again.

Thank you - Keith

Posted Thu 29 Oct 15 @ 10:48 am
Just FYI: Pioneer makes good ASIO drivers. Therefore if using WASAPI fixes your issue, uninstall and reinstall ASIO driver in case something got messy... ;)

Posted Thu 29 Oct 15 @ 10:52 am
Most of the logged crashes for vdj actually come from the pioneer asio drivers, so if WASAPI is working good for you, I'd stick with it. (Latency with WASAPI shared mode might be a little higher than with the ASIO drivers, and with my DDJ-SX wasapi exclusive mode doesn't work)

Posted Thu 29 Oct 15 @ 11:50 am
Adion wrote :
Most of the logged crashes for vdj actually come from the pioneer asio drivers

Specifically the SX2 or is it across the board with no "worst performer"?

Posted Thu 29 Oct 15 @ 5:20 pm
I've seen various asio driver dll names appear, not completely sure which dll belongs to which device (since there is at least one with a generic name like pioneer_asio.dll, but also some like pioneerddjsxasio.dll or something like that)

Posted Fri 30 Oct 15 @ 8:27 am
Adion wrote :
Most of the logged crashes for vdj actually come from the pioneer asio drivers, so if WASAPI is working good for you, I'd stick with it.

That's news to me!

From the user point of view, Pioneer ASIO drivers can go to low latency settings without breaking easy, and that's good. Also I believe they "auto-reset" but I'm not in position to know. I mean I have the impression that even if the drivers crash they auto-reset and keep working. With some other ASIO drivers if the driver crash, then you have to manually reset them.
Also perhaps the too many crashes are due to this fact ? I mean if the drivers auto-reset and the user doesn't understand that and keep his settings on very low settings it's kind "normal" to see frequent crashes. I may talking BS but that's the impression I have from a user's point of view.

Posted Fri 30 Oct 15 @ 12:03 pm
Well, if we get the crash report it means the driver did something wrong and vdj actually crashed, so that's not good for the user.
I don't know when the crash occurs, testing with my own DDJ-SX I could get a crash easily by changing settings (and thus closing and re-opening the asio driver in a short time)

I remember with CDJ's WASAPI exclusive mode was working fine, so there wasn't any reason to use ASIO drivers with those.

Posted Fri 30 Oct 15 @ 1:19 pm
Interesting information. I have never had VDJ actually crash out, it's just the issues experienced above.

I have used WASAPI with the MC6000 for years now and never had any problem. the only reason I used the Pioneer Asio is that it came with the SX2 and seemed to work OK. The Denon Asio drivers kept causing crackles and such but the Pioneer ones seemed fine.

Will let you know if anything happens while using WASAPI at my gig tonight.

Posted Fri 30 Oct 15 @ 1:31 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Any chance those Pioneer ASIO issues are related to Windows 10 , since Pioneer doesnt officially "support" this OS ? There could be an issue that they are trying to resolve.

Posted Fri 30 Oct 15 @ 5:50 pm
I'm still on Windows 8.1 but I guess others could have moved over to 10

Posted Fri 30 Oct 15 @ 6:44 pm
Hi all,

Apologies for hijacking the thread - I've had a very similar issue last night with my Denon DN-HC5000. The following happened three times :-

1. Music started skipping.
2. Music started slowing down.
3. Total silence.
4. Tracks looked like they were playing but no sound.
5. Rebooted PC but did not fix the issue.
6. Rebooted HC5000 which fixed the issue for about 30 mins and the same would happen.

At first glace this seems like a hardware/driver problem but I have only been able to replicate this in the latest public version of VDJ.

I'm happy to post this in another thread if required and help in any way I can because as it stands I can't risk using VDJ until this is fixed.

Cheers

- Windows 7 64 Bit - 8GB RAM

Posted Sun 01 Nov 15 @ 11:08 am
I've seen the very same things.

It's disappointing .

Posted Mon 02 Nov 15 @ 12:16 am
Gig on Friday went fine, although it was only four hours.

WASAPI drivers worked no problem at all, no difference to the sound quality at all.

Will keep it this way and report back if any further problems.

Keith

Posted Mon 02 Nov 15 @ 12:19 am
67%