Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Crash Report.................. - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Sitting here watching a video play and out of no where (like always lately) VDJ just stops. This is one of the few times its actually restarted VDJ on my PC. So can I please find out what is causing this to happen. I cant even go 10/15 minutes without VDJ just quitting on me on my PC now.............

Just happened again..

Posted Fri 25 Sep 15 @ 2:24 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Have you changed an effect/plugin with your controller?

Posted Fri 25 Sep 15 @ 7:46 am
Nope I was just sitting there watching a video play.

Posted Fri 25 Sep 15 @ 11:19 am
To better answer your question, I don't change fx's.

I have a list of fx's that I only use. I use the stock Echo, VFilter, VideoBars, TellyMedia, TellyVisuals and a Postfade fx plugin.

When I open VDJ I have Vfilters and the Postfade's GUI show up on the side. I'll activate those 2 plugins with my mouse or trackpad. Those 2 plugins usually never get shut off once I've started mixing. T.V & T.M's GUI are also showing on a usb monitor and also never get turne off until I'm done mixing and close VDJ.

The Echo and VIDEOBARS plugins get turned on/off using my DDJ SP1.

As for hardware I do have a lot plugged in, I have my mixer which is a DJM 850 plugged directly in to my laptop as well as my usb monitor. My cdj's, DDJ SP1 and a usb camera are all plugged into a top of the line Belkin 7 port POWERED usb hub which is plugged into my laptop last remaining USB port.

Not sure if any of this makes a difference but that's how I use VDJ and this setup has changed in about 9 months. This is everything I also use with SDJ and Mix Emergency when I use my Mac except for a few of the plug ins........

I would just like to find out what's causing this crash and move on to the next problem.

Posted Fri 25 Sep 15 @ 12:46 pm
Any word on this??

Posted Fri 25 Sep 15 @ 8:55 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Do you have any issues if you don't activate any plugins?

Try uninstalling all extra plugins temporarily and see if that helps.

Posted Fri 25 Sep 15 @ 10:59 pm
Are you guys getting his crash reports? Beatbreaker, this only happens on your PC not the Mac?

Posted Sat 26 Sep 15 @ 5:30 am
My Mac will crash but that's because of me doing a combo I things or using an fx.

My PC won't go longer then 10/15 minutes without closing on me and a "windows has a problem and has to close VDJ" popping up an not restarting VDJ which in that case it doesn't send a crash report I believe.

Since last night I've started getting a "decompress error" pop up so I'm gonna defrag like it's asking for. Funny thing is I have 8 gigs of ram and the video card has 2 of it own.......

Memory leak somewhere??

Posted Sat 26 Sep 15 @ 4:36 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
As for hardware I do have a lot plugged in, I have my mixer which is a DJM 850 plugged directly in to my laptop as well as my usb monitor. My cdj's, DDJ SP1 and a usb camera are all plugged into a top of the line Belkin 7 port POWERED usb hub which is plugged into my laptop last remaining USB port.

That's a lot of equipment using one of the weakest interfaces on a laptop.
I'd be trying to get stuff off the USB bus.
I don't know much about USB3, which I assume your using, but I doubt it's that much better than my USB2.
USB has always been flaky.
Another thought as well, I did a bit of research on powered USB hubs recently, Belkin did not appear to be that good.
D-Link for one seems to be a superior product.

CDJ's are much harder to configure in a stable manner than something like a MC6000, which just works.

Is it possible to use a different interface for your monitor, and maybe just use your Pioneer 850 as a old fashioned hardware mixer?
Given the onboard effects that you have, and the quality of the faders I would not want a USB connection to my laptop.
That would only castrate the quality of the Pioneer.
I not sure about the USB camera, there might be another way.

It is more likely that it's windows crashing rather than VDJ8.
I find it surprising that it works at all !

Sorry for poking my nose in, I can't stop myself.
I know I really should leave this to the Atomix experts

Posted Sat 26 Sep 15 @ 4:50 pm
Ron how am I supposed to use anything if I can't plug into the USB ports??

USB 3 is better then USB 2 as far as transfer rates goes but yeah maybe and that's a big maybe not so good when it comes to hardware......

As for my Belkin it is a good one. I've meet a lot of big name djs and it's what a lot of them use so I'm not sure where you got that there bad from nore do I care. If you haven't used it you can't say much.

As for my USB monitor no I won't use anything else because I already the HDMI output from my laptop connected to a Matrox TripleHead2Go which is connected to 3 projectors. I use the usb monitor for Resolume and I have Telly Visuals & Telly Media windows open on that screen so I can see what clips are playing and where. I also will have Bandicams interface on this screen for recording my video sets.

As for not plugging in my mixer, what your asking for is not possible because the mixer is my soundcard......more research bro.

As far as sound quality goes I wouldn't say Pioneer is the best because my Ecler sounds waaaay better then any Pioneer I've heard. So no won't be using the mixer the old fashioned way.

And last but not least the usb camera works just fine and yes there are other ways such as over wifi but I find that method puts more stress on my machine so I'll continue to use the USB route.

I do push my machines to the max and I should be able to because they are plenty powerful enough and I've done all this for a while now. This is not just some little hobby for me and I take it very serious which is why I come down so hard on these guys because I know VDJ should be better then what it is.

Thanks for your input but I'd rather you not clutter up this thread......

Posted Sat 26 Sep 15 @ 5:45 pm
Ok how high is the number circled in this pic supposed to be or get??

Ive seen that number get as high as 3500 with ZERO hardware hooked up, not even an external drive.

Posted Sun 27 Sep 15 @ 10:53 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
If it gets as high as 3500 MB it is indeed a signal for a memory leak.
There should be a bug fix for this kind of leak in the last build.
But if the leak is caused by a third party plugin, there is not much Atomix can do.

Posted Mon 28 Sep 15 @ 9:28 am
Ok I'll start checkin it tonight and see what I can find.

Can it be caused by hardware aswell??

Posted Mon 28 Sep 15 @ 1:56 pm
A memory leak would be software. Keep in mind hardware drivers are software. If drivers have not been updated and never leaked they shouldn't now.

Posted Mon 28 Sep 15 @ 4:52 pm
Right on, I'll start checking everything tonight.

Also I disconnected everything lastnight and set VDJ to AutoMix with a million fx's running and the deck pitch at a 100%, woke up and it was still running.

So Wicked you could be on to something.

Thanks fellas I'll keep reporting back as I'm sure you already know

Posted Mon 28 Sep 15 @ 6:29 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
In another thread someone mentioned recording seemingly causing memory leaks. Don't know if you were recording something by any chance?

Posted Tue 29 Sep 15 @ 5:20 am
I wasn't recording but if I was I still wouldn't use your record feature because the lips aren't in sync with the video plus it's heavy on the CPU all of which I've mentioned before.

Posted Tue 29 Sep 15 @ 2:58 pm
@ beatbreaker, could it be that you have 2 VDJ's running at the same time, on your screenshot it shows (2) behind VDJ, on my pc it doesn't.
maybe a stupid question, if so I'm sorry, but sometime it's hard to see the wood for the trees

Posted Tue 29 Sep 15 @ 8:01 pm
One is for the VDJ GUI and the other is VDJ's video output

Posted Tue 29 Sep 15 @ 9:52 pm
So tonight I set everything up as I normally do and loaded up a MP4 and track with a video edit (edited with VDJ so its ends with .VDJEDIT).

Now this edit is a scratch track and it has a video overlay as well as a POI edit which turns on a certain Milkdrop fx. Once I loaded the scratch track my memory usage jumped from around 800mb to 2000mb?? Is this supposed to happen??

Once I unloaded the track it dropped back down to around 8/900mb's.

This is the one common factor with ever crash or VDJ just shutting down. Is there a way I can give the team my edited scratch track??

Posted Wed 30 Sep 15 @ 1:53 am
47%