Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: New to Vinyl Ripping

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi Folks,

I trust that everyone is well.

I have recently ventured into the arena of “Vinyl ripping” after purchasing the ION MAX LP and associated software to covert a lot of old Techno records to new digital format as they are not available in his format.

So far the results have been a bit mixed and im keen to get the view of others on this?

Some transfers are clear, well-formed and generally sit ok with newer digital versions of tracks.

A few others, the difference is very noticeable and they don’t sit well. I am putting the differences in transfer quality down to the original quality of both the vinyl and the recordings on it. The grade of vinyl, etc, etc

I can’t see it being the software as some results etc are very good.

Appreciate the views of others and your experiences on quality in this respect?

Thanks

Simon.

Posted Fri 18 Sep 15 @ 7:43 am
Well first of all, you shouldn't expect to get great results from a turntable that costs £70.

The turntable mechanism will be basic, the cartridge will be low quality, having speakers built in will affect results (vibrations will feed back onto the recording) and so on.

In addition, some of the recordings made on small labels used recycled vinyl and were never that great in the first place.

There's a lot you can do with a bit of tweaking in audio editing software though, to re-EQ and to remove pops, crackles and rumble.

Posted Sun 20 Sep 15 @ 1:16 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)