Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Connecting a laptop to the mixer

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

So, my question (I think) is pretty simple. Is there any disadvantage of connecting a laptop to the club mixer (Jack-->RCA cable) and having your headphones hooked up on the controller? I mean, do I lose any sound quality or something?

Thanks for your time :)

Posted Sat 29 Aug 15 @ 2:14 pm
Yes, you loose in terms of "sound quality" because of the soundcard. Your laptop's internal soundcard is not designed to work on a professional environment. It's rather designed as "home consumer" device. Therefore it has worst SNR, THD e.t.c. which will make it sound more poor compared to a professional soundcard, and obviously far more poor compared to other PRO grade equipment (e.g CD-Players)

Posted Sat 29 Aug 15 @ 2:43 pm
If you have a controller with a headphone jack, then usually the controller will also have a master output - intended for the main signal.

Besides the quality issue, you also need to consider latency. Laptop audio (as stated above) is not designed for pro use, so will often have higher latency than is required for DJ use.

Posted Sat 29 Aug 15 @ 3:04 pm
I'm asking because for some reason the soundcard of my controller died..No audio from the RCA/XLR outputs..And I have a gig in two days, and I was thinking of connecting my laptop to the club mixer :/

Posted Sat 29 Aug 15 @ 3:08 pm
This is the point at which the terms and conditions of the Atomix VDJ license need to be made clear..... :-)

If you're using VDJ for gigs then you need to have either a Pro license (aka Infinity) or a monthly subscribers license. Home, LE and Controller licenses are for home use only.

Posted Sat 29 Aug 15 @ 3:31 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
The loss in sound quality should be negligible though, given that there are no ground loop issues.
Noise levels and dynamic range of most modern DA-convertors are very close to the theoretical limits of an audio cd.

Posted Sun 30 Aug 15 @ 9:06 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)