Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Laptop upgrade

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi All, I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 I bought for study. It is now my VDJ Laptop. It has 2gb ram, a 64bit Athlon processor, running XP. I'm thinking of dropping 4gb of ram in and swapping the HDD for an SSD. I'm running VDJ 8, not yet Pro, working up to that one soon, if the Laptop upgrade makes the it more stable.

Not being any good with computers, would someone let me know if:
1: The new Ram will be recognised, and how much will be available.
2: Once the Memory and SSD have been placed, will this help stop the blue screen crash I get from time to time.

Many thanks for any help that you may have to offer.
Paul

Posted Sat 04 Jul 15 @ 8:22 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
1, using a 32b o/s you'll only be able to use 3GB
2 not a clue, BSOD is usually a HW failure that can be caused by all sorts.

Posted Sun 05 Jul 15 @ 1:10 pm
2 not a clue, BSOD is usually a HW failure that can be caused by all sorts.

Thanks Locodag, It does run ok on the current 2gb of ram, however I thought the upgrade and the xtra GB of ram would help.
As the BSOD is usually a HW failure I'm hoping its the current HDD that's the issue and that the SSD will solve the problem. If it's another HW failure on the
Mother Board then there's not much I can do until I can afford a new Laptop.
I would love VDJ to hook it up so that VDJ can run on Linux. The laptop never crashed with the Linux OS on it, unfortunately VDJ aren't to bothered about providing the crossover. I'm sure you would see a mass migration to Linux by DJ's who use VDJ if they did as it is a much more stable platform.

Once again thanks, I shall do the upgrade in about 4 months and post a results blurb to let people know how it has changed the performance and stability..
Paul..

Posted Mon 06 Jul 15 @ 10:25 am
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
You can test the hard drive and other components to see if they are failing before just tossing parts at the computer.
Since you mention linux, there are some great live CD's (PartedMagic) that have testing utilities on board.

Posted Mon 06 Jul 15 @ 4:53 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)