Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: BPM and Beat Matching

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi all. I am still pretty new to all this DJ stuff (even though I am working every single weekend). I am trying to get better at beat matching. But I am confused by many time that seem to have BPM's denoted that don't make sense. As a result I have lots of trouble with the beat matching. Can someone help me understand BPM? I understand what it is but I don't understand for instance why a Kool & The Gang song like Ladies Night would be marked as 111.5 BPM and then a slow song like At Last would be marked as 117.1. Is there some way I get the BPM notations to be more meaningful?

Posted Fri 19 Jun 15 @ 3:35 pm
The flaw with any automatic BPM detection is that sometimes the result is half or double the actual BPM.

We're human. We can understand the nuances and subtle differences between different types of music and whether a beat is slow or fast.

This is why VDJ has the option to divide or multiply the analysed result.

Posted Fri 19 Jun 15 @ 3:46 pm
Basically a song's TEMPO (the correct musical term, aka BPM for dj's) has very little to do with the song's genre.
There are "slow" songs with 130BPM and "fast" songs with 90 BPM. It's up to the genre of music and the musical signature.
I believe you should visit wikipedia and take a quick read about musical theory. Then everything will make much more sense ;)

Posted Fri 19 Jun 15 @ 11:25 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)