Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Blind cousin in need of help

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have a strange question to ask here.

My cousin is currently in college, he is blind and autistic and loves music. At college he DJ's a lot using Virtual DJ 8 and a Mini Deck that is provided for him. At college he has someone to help him load songs onto the deck using the Virtual DJ software while he uses the mini deck. He loves it.

Because he loves it so much, for Christmas 2014 he got a Hercules 4-MX which came with Virtual DJ 7 LE . We got everything set up but have hit a road block. the software and the deck works fine as long as he has someone to help him upload the songs onto the deck. the problems occur when he has no-one about to help him.

He uses a program called "Freedom Scientific JAWS" which is a screen reader. it tells him what is on the screen, what program and text is highlighted and he can navigate his laptop and the internet with no problems at all. the first time we ever encountered a problem was when he attempted to navigate Virtual DJ. When the system tree is selected so that he can navigate his was to his music on his laptop JAWS starts repeating the entire system tree on a loop and not clearly stating which section of the tree he has highlighted. ofcourse this makes it impossible for him to navigate the system tree to be able to upload any music to his deck rendering it completely useless.

My cousin is very upset that we are unable to get the software working with his screen reader as it is very rare any tech savvy family members are around to help him out.

Is there anyone out there who can help, maybe offer some advice or a solution to this problem? any help would be gratefully received.

A few things we have already tried include:

1. Attempting to use Virtual DJ 8, no screen reader can read any of the system tree at all.
2. attempting the following screen readers: NVDA, Thunder Storm, Jaws 11, Jaws 15, SuperNova, Natural Reader.
Attempted to use Mixxx reather than Virtual DJ but no screen reader reads it.

Regards

Daniel

Posted Sun 03 May 15 @ 12:03 pm
Hi Daniel,

Are you or anyone you know familiar with HSC Scripts in JAWS?

if so you can find a HSC script for virtual dj here:

http://vipaudioaccess.com/accessible-virtual-dj-rui-vilarinho-releases-exciting-new-hsc-sets/

not tried it personally, I am visually impaired and use screen magnifiers etc, would be nice if virtual dj did have some sort of accessible support (even if it just added something like a 'talk' of 'say' command to the vdjscript commands)

anyway not sure which version of virtual dj it works with, let me know if you find out.

all the best

pete

Posted Sun 31 May 15 @ 7:22 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)