Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Two minor Bugs

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ChreecePRO (OEM)Member since 2014
I have noticed that when you output a sample on a deck the Gain on this deck doesn't apply on the sample volume (yes i know that there is a dedicated sample volume but as long as the sample is on a deck it should be controllable also from the deck gain).
On Pioneer DDJ-SX2 the peak level led doesn't stay on for some seconds (i think 2 or 3) to show on which level peaks the channel. It just follow the meters on the GUI. On master the peak led stays on as normal.

Posted Sat 25 Apr 15 @ 7:23 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Some may not want this behavior but anyways i think this could be achieved by a vrj script action

For the vu meters peak , could be a firmware limitation on MIDI, can you check with Serato ?

Posted Sun 26 Apr 15 @ 2:48 am
Sorry but i don't see any reason to have a "dead" gain only when a sample is loaded in a deck. The knob is there, let's take advantage of it!
I will check with serato and come back :)

Posted Sun 26 Apr 15 @ 6:16 am
Confirmed! In Serato it's the same problem with the VU meters on SX2 and also i noticed that yesterday on SX. I will consider contacting Pioneer because it's a little bit frustrating when someone is used to the old logic of VU meters with the "spikes".

Posted Sun 26 Apr 15 @ 10:22 am
Chreece wrote :
I have noticed that when you output a sample on a deck the Gain on this deck doesn't apply on the sample volume (yes i know that there is a dedicated sample volume but as long as the sample is on a deck it should be controllable also from the deck gain).

Yup I totally agree with this, heck they already are letting us use the Filter,EQ's and effects.

Please give up the gain already, lol!

Posted Sun 26 Apr 15 @ 12:50 pm
Actually I don't think Serato use "peak hold" on their vu-meters.
Pioneer uses "peak hold" on a hardware level. That's why Master VU has peak hold. I also believe that SX (and most likely SX2) have peak hold on their vu-meters when the channels are used on hardware level (MIC/CD inputs)
Skinwise VirtualDj 8 has the ability to "hold" the peaks. But on controller's vu-meters it's not implemented.

Posted Sun 26 Apr 15 @ 8:58 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
The deck gain adjusts the gain for that track.
With the default being autogain enabled, it would mean that the gain of the samples could change just by loading a new track, which does not make sense to me.
To control the output volume you can simply use the volume fader.

Posted Mon 27 Apr 15 @ 12:13 am
I agree with that, I often keep a looping sample as a "backing track" during several songs, and control the sampler output volume with one of the external mixer sliders.
I prefer not having the sampler change the output level by itself.
Maybe an option could be useful?

Posted Mon 27 Apr 15 @ 12:40 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :

Skinwise VirtualDj 8 has the ability to "hold" the peaks. But on controller's vu-meters it's not implemented.

So it would be a wish for VDJ8? Is it possible to implement?

Adion wrote :
The deck gain adjusts the gain for that track.
With the default being autogain enabled, it would mean that the gain of the samples could change just by loading a new track, which does not make sense to me.
To control the output volume you can simply use the volume fader.

Sometimes the gain of some samples is too low and i need to increase it on the fly, the gain knob is still there why would you kill it???

MrJackson2014 wrote :
I agree with that, I often keep a looping sample as a "backing track" during several songs, and control the sampler output volume with one of the external mixer sliders.
I prefer not having the sampler change the output level by itself.
Maybe an option could be useful?

If the gain knob is there and you don't use it but you can't isn't still an option for you (not to use it) and an option for me to use it? ;)
As already said we use the FXs, filters etc. why don't we use also the gain to adjust the output levels of the sample?
Do you like having a dead knob on your controller?

Posted Mon 27 Apr 15 @ 10:21 am
Chreece wrote :
PhantomDeejay wrote :

So it would be a wish for VDJ8? Is it possible to implement?

It mostly depends on the unit itself.
If the unit allows the sofware to control each led of the vu-meter individually, then it's possible to add.
If however the unit receives one single message to control the "intensity" of the vu-meter (like SX and SX2) then it's not possible because of the hardware limitation

Posted Mon 27 Apr 15 @ 10:55 am
I just can't understand why is this feature on SZ and not on SX or SX2. They both designed for Serato but the logic on VU meters is not the same... That's why i thought it's a bug on VDJ. It would be nice if that will be included in a future build. It's a critical info for us not to play on the "red area"...

Posted Mon 27 Apr 15 @ 11:04 am
SZ has a HARDWARE mixer on the center.
All audio processing (Gain, Volume, EQ, Color FX e.t.c.) is done by the unit itself. Therefore the VUs work on hardware level as well.

SX and SX2 offer a MIDI mixer instead. All audio processing is done via the software. Therefore the VU's work with MIDI messages.

PS: SX and SX2 offer a 4 USB channels for output and they are hardcoded on "Master" & "Headphones" ports.
SZ offers 10 USB channels for output and they are routed on the hardware mixer as a normal audio source would...
That's the main difference that makes SZ completely different from all other DDJ-S series

Posted Mon 27 Apr 15 @ 11:12 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)