Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Denon MC6000MK2 ASIO or WDM (WASAPI)?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ewitlesPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Gang -

I have a the above controller. For my setup, ASIO ain't playing nice. VDJ 8 in ASIO mode 'hijacks' ALL the sound devices - even generic USB. reason? I need to tap the record out for controlling a light controller. And it won't see the ASIO.

Yet ASIO has decent latency but I am not doing any scratching or the like just yet.

So, I have it set as WDM. And it appears to behave and send a feed to my light control program. But at the expense of additional latency.

Now w/ all this said, am I giving up anything using WDM and should I start to learn scratching? And would WDM limit me any?

Not using this for club work, but for basic private functions like weddings and parties.

Thanks!!!

Posted Sun 01 Mar 15 @ 8:24 pm
if you are happy go with it sound quality should be the same

Posted Sun 01 Mar 15 @ 9:12 pm
You must be doing something wrong, or your wording is wrong...
First of all, which ASIO drivers do you use?
You should use the ASIO drivers provided by Denon which they are called "Denon Dj ASIO for Controllers"
With these drivers, VirtualDj 8 will take exclusive access to the Denon soundcard only, and it will leave the rest out of control.
Trust me it works that way and I use the same controller with a similar setup every week.
If you use other Generic ASIO drivers (like ASIO4ALL) then you should manually configure them to exclude the devices you don't need.
Generally speaking, ASIO4ALL should be avoided anyway since it doesn't offer lower latency. It's rather a "hack" to use devices without ASIO drivers on programs that require ASIO.
Finally:
The difference between ASIO and WASAPI (there's no WDM since Windows 7) is mainly the latency you can achieve with your controller.
If you don't scratch then the latency you can achieve with WASAPI is good enough to handle all your needs. However if you DO some scratching (even basic) then ASIO drivers are mandatory.
Finally, whatever you decide to use, do NOT uninstall the "Denon DJ ASIO for controllers" drivers from your system.
The unit will NOT work properly if the drivers are not installed.
You can opt to not use them, that's fine. But uninstalling them will cause various issues with the particular controller.

Posted Mon 02 Mar 15 @ 1:05 am
Not using ASIO4ALL. Did use that for other USB cards in the past.

Ok, I am using the Denon drivers. And when I connected a UAC202 for line in, it worked but Windows sees the Line as a Mic input and has gain issues. But loading VDJ w/ ASIO does not lock it up - does in fact work. In fact, using the official ones on Denon's page. I have not tried the 2.22 drivers.

Using an MP3 Creative USB device does in fact show a USB line in, but is not available once VDJ is launched in ASIO, but is usable if set up as WASAPI.

Is there a ASIO to WDM/WASAPI wrapper or bridge that would work for the input. I really don't want to tap off the master or booth if possible.

I have been asking in several forums on FB on 'how to' scratch w/ these Denon controllers but to no avail. So guess WASAPI will do until I get the other resolved.

Posted Mon 02 Mar 15 @ 6:53 pm
What sound setup do you use ?
VirtualDj won't get exclusive access of a device unless you include it on your sound configuration. And even then there's a setting (exclusiveaudioaccess) that must be turned on in order to do so.
Do you run any other applications among VirtualDj ?
Are you 100% sure that it's VirtualDj that occupies the soundcard ?
In your soundcard settings (on Windows Sound Manager) did you tried to uncheck "Allow applications to take exclusive access of the device" option ?

Finally what issues do you have regarding scratching and MC6000MKII ?

Posted Tue 03 Mar 15 @ 1:01 am
Well, I am a n00b when comes to scratching. And all the vids make use of either vinyl or motorized controllers. Hence, my dilemma.

Posted Wed 04 Mar 15 @ 10:47 pm

Posted Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 4:18 am
SORRY!
SCRATCHING FOR CONTROLLER DJS
IS
Closed

Posted Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 10:55 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)