Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Connecting Numark Controller to Speakers

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi all! I have a Numark Mixtrack Pro II which only has the red/white RCA outputs in the front of the controller. I could not connect them to the club speakers in my fraternity houses's basement. The speakers are set up so that the subwoofers are connected to a set of speakers, one being the left channel and the other being the right channel. From each speaker is a large cable (2 total, someone called them stereo plugs; if anyone knows what they might be please let me know), that are fairly large (about the size of a 1/4th inch headphone jack or bigger). These two wires cannot connect directly to the RCA outputs on the Numark controller. They do however fit into the stereo outputs/inputs (I'm confused on the terminology here) on something like a Traktor controller.

We tried to use an adapter that converted the stereo plugs into a 1/4th inch jack, and then 1/4th to 3.5mm adapter, and then connected that to an 3.5mm to RCA cable, and then connected that to the Mixtrack Pro II. As expected the quality was terrible, no sub bass, with vocals fading in and out.

Can anyone suggest a simple solution? Something like an RCA to 2-stereo/Left&Right channel plug if anything like that exists, or can someone recommend a quality, cost effective mixer that can route the RCA signal on the controller to the speakers? I have a pair of RCA to 3.5mm wires as well as RCA to XLR if that is of any help (I can't connect the XLR directly to the speakers though because they are on separate channels).

Posted Sun 01 Mar 15 @ 3:24 pm
maybe a picture of the connectors would help have no idea what u are talking about....

is this a surround sound system .... or just a system with 2 speakers and a sub woofer ?

i think without a picture or the proper name of the connectors nobody can help

Posted Sun 01 Mar 15 @ 4:53 pm
It appears that they are TRS 1/4th jacks.
You will need a converter cable, but still TRS is balanced, while your RCA output is unbalanced. Therefore you should expect some issues with audio quality if the cables are long enough.

Posted Mon 02 Mar 15 @ 1:10 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
It appears that they are TRS 1/4th jacks.

I disagree. From his description, it seems as if they were "about the size of" but not actually 1/4" jacks. He appears to know what a 1/4" jack is, and XLR and RCA, so they must be something else IMO.

The speakers seem to be powered ones too, if these connectors were adapted into the MTP. No amplifier was mentioned.

Wickedmix is right, we need a clear picture or the exact name of these mystery connectors.

Posted Mon 02 Mar 15 @ 2:52 am
Groovin, I know all NI Gear. The user mentions a "Traktor" controller. NI gear uses "TRS" (Tip-Ring-Sleeve) also known as "Stereo Jacks" that someone else called them.
Also the general description of what they tried to do in order to get it working (but the sound was terrible) fits the above description.
So, there's no mystery to me :)
The real problem are not the "stereo jacks" but the fact that Mixtrack outputs unballanced signal and the self-amplified subs use balanced.
You can use a "convertor" cable from male RCA plugs to female stereo jacks (TRS) but the signal will remain unbalanced and it will cause issues.

The proper solution here is to use a self-powered D.I. Box (Direct Injection Box) to convert the unbalaced signal to balanced.

Posted Mon 02 Mar 15 @ 6:44 am

TRS VS XLR ;)

Posted Mon 02 Mar 15 @ 6:46 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
The user mentions a "Traktor" controller.

Actually he said "something like" a Traktor controller - it isn't necessarily one made by Native Instruments.

The post is not accurate enough for us to make a definitive statement (IMO).

Posted Mon 02 Mar 15 @ 6:52 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)