Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Sounds issues

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi all, fairly new to DJing and to VDJ 8. I have a brand new PC with Win 8.1, 16GB Ram, 4GHZ Core i7 Processor with a Sound Blaster Audigy Sound Card plus an in-built NVIDIA Audio Device. So, I managed to set VDJ 8 to play the main audio via my speakers and the other deck through headphones/NVIDIA using ASIO. After 5-10 mins I start getting horrible distorted audio.
http://tinypic.com/m/ildo3c/3
http://i60.tinypic.com/2wp43ev.jpg

I tried the DPC Tool and I get this:
http://tinypic.com/m/ildo2u/3

So, have I set things up correctly? I'm also thinking of getting a Numark Mixtrack Pro 2. My understanding is this has a built in soundcard. Would this help?

Also, tried recording a few MP3s. Foobar reports the file as broken and VLC just has no audio?

Sorry is this is obvious questions. Just not sure where to start diagnosing the issues.

Posted Sun 22 Feb 15 @ 5:38 am
Have you tried not using ASIO4ALL?

Despite the name, ASIO4ALL is not an ASIO driver and is not required when using class compliant plug and play devices.

If all you have are standard consumer level sound cards then they won't be ASIO compatible. They will use WDM or WASAPI that's already built into Windows.

Genuine ASIO cards use drivers supplied by the manufacturer. Anything that's plug and play (class compliant) is not ASIO.

Posted Sun 22 Feb 15 @ 5:58 am
Good call. The use of ASIO came from when I was testing TRAKTOR and couldn't get two cards to work. I'll try this.

Any thoughts on the Numark for the price?

Posted Sun 22 Feb 15 @ 6:33 am
Well it's one of (if not the) best selling controllers on the market, so Numark must be doing something right. :-)

IMO it's good value for money, but I wouldn't buy one myself. No VU meters, no channel gain and no ASIO audio.

Posted Sun 22 Feb 15 @ 7:05 am
I have similar problems using 2 sound cards on other PC - Realtek AC97 or USB audio sound card will distort after a while - OK if using for headphones, use the SW1000XG for main audio and it's solid - this is a 90s card running win 98 drivers on XP or Vista and no problem, but the newer (OK cheaper) cards don't work as well

Posted Sun 22 Feb 15 @ 2:06 pm
It could be that (if you're using ASIO4ALL) you're trying to lower the latency beyond what the card is capable of - that's why there are professional low latency cards, designed for the job with real ASIO drivers not pretend ones.

It could also just be the fact you're using two different cards. It's never a good idea because of computer I/O timing issues etc. Again, this is why professional DJ interfaces have multiple stereo channels in the one device.

Finally, some of the settings in VDJ 8 can affect the audio if they're not set to suit your particular hardware. VDJ has to support lots of hardware, so the default settings are not always the best for everyone.

Posted Sun 22 Feb 15 @ 2:24 pm
Thanks for the reply - not sure if there are Asio drivers installed - but I used to use a Realtek 97 type surround card with older versions of Virtual DJ for multiple outputs with no problems, the problems seem to have started recently.

Posted Sun 22 Feb 15 @ 3:01 pm
Now that I think of it, the USB soundcard works fine with VDJ 7 on the laptop - it's the slower PC that is the problem, so you must be right, sorry

Posted Sun 22 Feb 15 @ 3:04 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)