Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Low recording audio quality

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

krn3kiPRO InfinityMember since 2014
I've just tried to make a mashup and I was really disappointed by VirtualDJ8 2139.934 recording quality. When I compare recording with the original mp3 file, it's incomparably worse. Sound it quieter and a bit more dull. I really don't know why is that a case, all settings are on default so it should work fine and output identically the same audio. I don't use internal soundcard but external Creative X-FI Pro which sounds amazing otherwise.

That makes it basically useless for recording mashups, mixtapes and sets in high quality. Is there anything I missed? Should I change any setting to make it better?

Posted Thu 12 Feb 15 @ 4:46 pm
what was the quality set to?
did you record in wav or mp3?

enabling advanced settings will get you the record options.

Posted Thu 12 Feb 15 @ 8:21 pm
I recorded into mp3 192 kbp/s, but that shouldn't be the reason why it's more quiet. It also should be good enough quality to not notice the difference in comparison to original 320 kbp/s.

Posted Thu 12 Feb 15 @ 9:03 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Are you pushing the limiter by any chance?

Posted Thu 12 Feb 15 @ 10:16 pm
No, it was green all the time, not even yellow. Gain is set to default, so it should automatically adjust, but it stayed on 0 dB.

Posted Fri 13 Feb 15 @ 5:57 am
Or not, looks like it's a bug? It says 0 dB, but when I got over knob with mouse, popup says -3.89 dB. Maybe that's a reason? But how to avoid it?

Posted Fri 13 Feb 15 @ 6:00 am

Posted Fri 13 Feb 15 @ 8:52 am
That's nothing to worry about. VDJ has scanned your file and decided that it's too loud, so it's reduced the gain to prevent any overload.

Posted Fri 13 Feb 15 @ 10:22 am
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012
please check setting/ advanced options/ gain
is this set to auto+remember ?
if so please set it to auto only.
delete the gain value in the database and try again

Posted Fri 13 Feb 15 @ 10:25 am
AutoGain is already set to "auto" and GainSliderIncludesAutoGain is set to "yes". Well it's really weird that VirtualDJ reduces gain to most of my mp3s since they are mainly originals from beatport/itunes and mainly progressive house style. IMHO most of them should stay at 0 dB since they are already mastered in studios.

Surely I'd like to VirtualDJ to automatically adjust gain as needed because I don't have gain knobs on my Numark Mixtrack Pro 1.

Posted Fri 13 Feb 15 @ 11:14 am
Just because they're "originals" from respected sites, doesn't 100% guarantee that they're perfect.

As an experiment, try loading a few into audio editing software such as Audacity and check for peaks.

Back in the days of vinyl / CD only (before it became possible for people to make tracks entirely on a computer and release them independently) things were much more likely to have been mastered properly by industry pros who'd been doing it for years. Nowadays, you never know!

Posted Fri 13 Feb 15 @ 11:51 am
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
wickedmix wrote :
what was the quality set to?
did you record in wav or mp3?

enabling advanced settings will get you the record options.

Where you find the option to record to wav? I am experiencing the same problem where the recorded song sounds a a little "duller, not as bright" as the original. Mine is set to MP3, high. and I record in gain showing in the green. Help is appreciated.

Posted Fri 27 Mar 15 @ 3:08 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)