Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Dead Air or Train Wreck

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Technical Staff,
I only have one complaint. After diddling with every concievable fade setting I have not been able to set up a smooth transition fade with VDJ.
It is either 2-3 seconds of dead air or a train wreck of a+b playing over each other for too long, or a cascading fade that chops one and slams into the other. There has to be middle ground on this. The smart and tempo fades both linger in the center for too long with full volume.
Now I realize that every song has it's particulars with respect to intro and outro's which is what OTS strives to overcome with conversion. PCDJ has settings in configuration to set auto fade any which way you want. Now I don't rely on Auto mix to run the show by any means, but I am not going to stand behind the console and eat my dinner for the sake of avoiding this problem. There has to be an answer here somewhere.

I had a bit of a skipping moment last night but it recovered.
I also had a several fatal errors when changing groups (sent). I had to reboot to get back into the program. This gets scary when you think about the possibilities during a live show. I used this program cold the day after I downloaded it with no incidents like this. I hope it's a freak thing, please advise me if anyone else has had this kind of seisure.

For the record, I am here using VDJ because of operational handicaps with other programs. I have the highest regard for this program and the way it operates. I hope this problem can be overcome. For me it represents a "can't us it" situation if the auto transitions have nothing more to offer with respect to settings. None of them are perfect in this regard, I hope this can be rectified, as it is the only thing I can see as a problem for me.

Sincerely
Rick Hodgkins

Posted Thu 02 Oct 03 @ 1:09 pm
Guys,
Is there any answer for this problem? Is it a future fix or release? Has anybody else had this occurr or is it just me?
Rick

Posted Sun 05 Oct 03 @ 1:14 am
what are your computer specs?

Posted Sun 05 Oct 03 @ 2:36 pm
I haven't had any issues like what you're describing, but then, I am using Virtual DJ, as a traditional DJ setup. Only instead of vinyl, I use my laptop. I would *never* consider walking away during my set, unless I had like a 6 minute track, and I was going to the washroom or getting a beer. You'll never see any turntable DJ leave the DJ booth for more than very brief periods.

Posted Mon 06 Oct 03 @ 4:51 am
DJ Walker,
I am using a Sony Vaio , P4@2.4 g, 512 ram, xp home, with a dual partition 40 g and wd 180 external.

DJ Bok,
Your methods and practices really aren't part of the answer here. I tend to stay right on top of my equipment during a gig, but prefer not to get crumbs and finger prints on the system during dinner, which is why I usually run on auto play.
Your constructive comments are welcomed, your vinyl experiences are not as they don't pertain in the least.
Thank you and have a good day,
Rick

Posted Mon 06 Oct 03 @ 6:27 pm
why are you having dinner during a set?

Posted Tue 07 Oct 03 @ 12:01 am
keyonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I'm with rick. Some mobile dj's would never leave their rig or use auto crossfade either. Not me. I'm one of those mobile dj's who makes regular use of automixing for dinner reception music at weddings etc, no qualms about it. Love that ability! Frees me up to talk to guests, clients, eat (mobile djs often get invited by clients to enjoy the food, drink, especially us wedding dj's; some decline, some accept, some dj's think it looks unprofessional; i disagree, i found guests, clients could care less as long as music is playing), pee, smoke dope, never had a problem. Did one party recently for a friend that didn't want dance music, just background, and i let my BPM Studio mix (smooth auto crossfading that allows you to pick duration of the fade) it entirely for 4 hours while I partied with everybody. I couldn't do this with Virtual DJ and I can't use it for pro gigs because the automix is terrible, no matter the setting. I love the program though. I bought it for fun for non paid gigs i do for friends here and there cuz i love it's auto beatmatching that BPM Studio doesn't have and scratching ability, fun. I won't buy future upgrades, recommend vdj to other digital djs or use it professionally for my mobile style until the auto mix crossfading feature is on par with the others. I'm glad to hear lots of other dj's are able to use it professionally or otherwise for their style of djing.

More blabbing: Dance music I most always mix manually. Though I know a wedding dj who uses Ots sofware to automix EVERYTHING for him, including dance music, which surprised me first time i saw it. Thing is, nobody seemed to care that he wasn't manually mixing, sounded fine, and he always gets gigs, many from repeat clients, at near top dollar. i went to a party recently where a dj, paid gig, used winamp to automix everything. surprised there too. I didn't think his mixes were great but as a dj I'm biased. But the guests -- they loved his stuff and danced non stop all night!

Posted Tue 07 Oct 03 @ 12:02 am
numinous6035,

As explained above, people insist on feeding the DJ. I don't make a habit of hanging with the guests, just make small talk and get a feel for their interests etc.
Just like a CDJ makes a dinner or cocktail mix for that set, we have the option to load a waitlist, why not use it?

For those interested: I have had several communications with support on this. They are aware of the situation and interests of the members here. This is very positive knowing they care enough to respond and improve the product.

2004 will be a revolutionary year for DJ software and hardware coming from those in the know. There will be new products, radically improved products so put your seats in the upright position and buckle up. I have bought several programs (5 now) and if I could pick the best features from all of them I'd be in hog heaven.
Something big is coming, so keep your eyes and ears wide open.

Rick

Posted Tue 07 Oct 03 @ 12:59 am
Ok, I understand what you mean now... I didn't click that you meant just generic DJing, kinda like a radio station... I thought you meant actual beat/harmonic mixing. Sorry, my mistake :)

Posted Tue 07 Oct 03 @ 11:33 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)