Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Speakers and Amp with Extigy

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I performed my first and only gig in July 2003 and it went well. Speakers were provided at the party and their mixer plugged into my Extigy card. Venue owner did the hook up.

Need: I want to purchase speakers and amp for VDJ.

I use a laptop with Sound Blaster Extigy card. I have read the forums and people say things like they use a 2000-2200 watt amp with 15 inch 2-way speakers, etc. My next gig is this halloween for 100-150 people. I want to have power at my disposal if needed.

What are your recommendations for amps and speakers? How many speakers can I use? I also have a Gemini PMX-1400 four channel mixer. Could I use my mixer in the hook up also? How does all this hook up with the Exitgy?

Someone hook me up with information.

Posted Thu 02 Oct 03 @ 10:08 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
I would definately use your mixer. Connect the sound card to the mixer and leave the card volume up full, (this will keep the silly volume grid off the screen everytime you touch the volume)
There is a lot of controversy about speakers and amps in many different forums. Personally I would suggest good powered subs and satalites. I use Yorkville's P200 (12")subs and Elite 160's (10") on sticks. This covers the range well and also gives you the ability to adjust the subs and sats to match a room with out using an eq that is altering both speakers. The speakers and amp are factory matched and if I have a problem with an amp it's one alone not all four being affected.
Good Luck
Rick

Posted Thu 02 Oct 03 @ 12:06 pm
thanks rick

To all,

Could someone explain to me the technical differences between an amp, subwoofer, and speakers? What is the purpose of each of these items with DJ'ing? How many of these items (speakers, subwoofers, amps) can you have running at one time with my mixer and sound card? Is it neccessary to have an amp and subwoofer? Please include numbers in your technical explanations such as a (x) watt amp goes with (x) watt speakers and (x) watt subwoofers.

Some (maybe all) of questions are kindergarten like, but WHATEVER MAN.

Thanks in advance
toNY

Posted Fri 03 Oct 03 @ 2:14 am
Dontonio, U are asking a lot.

The simple answer was given already and I would concur that the most effecient setup is Powered Sub(s) and Powered/Un-powered Sats on sticks. I use one JBL powered Sub whose built in Crown amp is good enough to run 2 Sats and satisfies an audience of about 200 (100 dancing)

Wiring details may be a bit much to detail here, but one thing to note is that your sound is GREATLY affected by the placement of the Sub(s).

Sub = BASS
Sats = HIs and MIDs.

Posted Sun 05 Oct 03 @ 4:31 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)