Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Comment field still not actualize?!? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Mac OS 10.10.1 VDJ built 2094.899 (in options GetCommentsFromTags=YES, GetTagsAuto=Yes)
If I edit the comment in Itunes, reload tags via batch won't actualize the tags, take a look at this

Tried anything and need help...

Posted Thu 25 Dec 14 @ 7:10 pm
Why are you editing in iTunes? Use VDJ to do your editing!

Posted Thu 25 Dec 14 @ 7:13 pm
Because Itunes is better for editing imo...

Posted Thu 25 Dec 14 @ 7:19 pm
If this won't be fixed soon, I got to swap to another sw....
I really like VDJ, but this is #*+!, sorry.

Posted Sat 27 Dec 14 @ 4:24 am
Try to work around...
Question: Is it possible to create a filter-folder wich includes all files modificated/changed since date ?
Need help to fix this problem. Could live with a workaround. Other SW (mix...es e.g.) don't have such problems....

Edit:
I got a workaround from the other side. Build a intelligent playlist in ITunes (File changed Date >jjmmdd). Now I can control in VDJ those files and actualize them.
Anyway should this work via "DB mass-tagging" ...

Posted Sun 28 Dec 14 @ 1:26 pm
Still no fix for this?

Posted Sun 18 Jan 15 @ 11:25 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Did you try this with 2126? Don't see why it wouldn't work.

Posted Sun 18 Jan 15 @ 12:43 pm
Yes, tried with 2126 (Mac) and again:

...as you see in tag and Itunes: same comment, but in VDJ...#*+!
DB was cleaned, tried everything (batch reload, add to db + reload...comments don't come over?!?). This is a big problem and very important for me. I got no idea, how to work around....

Posted Sun 18 Jan 15 @ 1:05 pm
Can you give any kind of advice how to fix this?
Seems for me, that there is an "old" comment, and that one is taken by VDJ....

Posted Sun 18 Jan 15 @ 1:09 pm
Take a lok at this:

ImO VDJ should take the comments (not the entry of another program).

Posted Sun 18 Jan 15 @ 1:20 pm
Are you adding comments with iTunes after you've already added the tracks to the VDJ database?

You should really do all your tag editing before importing them to VDJ - that should be the last step.

BTW I'm not denying there's a problem with reloading tags, just that you seem to be doing things backwards.

Posted Sun 18 Jan 15 @ 1:26 pm
Yes, I adding comments after added the tracks to the VDJ db. I got nearly over 65.000 tracks and organize my tracks in Itunes. Started now to delete all other comments in the comment-tag (multiple).Will be my last try....

Posted Sun 18 Jan 15 @ 1:32 pm
I know it has been stated that it's not what VDJ is about, but I think they missed a trick not including a database editing tool in version 8.

It's a pain and never seems to work properly using external software (iTunes, mp3tag) etc. to do this.

Posted Sun 18 Jan 15 @ 1:59 pm
Yeah, it's a pain!!!

Posted Sun 18 Jan 15 @ 2:37 pm
Haui70PRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2008
The trick is to delete inside VDJ the comment content and then use reload tag.

This should protect user to overwrite their VDJ comments when using reload tag.

Select the tracks you want to update
open File Editor and delete the comments with the red x
Press Ok and close the file Editor
Do a rightclick on these tracks do the batch reload tag action.

Now you will see the comment content from IDTag side also inside VDJ.

Posted Mon 19 Jan 15 @ 5:44 am
WT..?!? Haui, you're the man!
Thank you Thank you Thank you ;o)
Problem is solved!!!!!!

Posted Mon 19 Jan 15 @ 6:56 am
So it's not a bug, it's a feature....

Things like this should be made clearer in the software GUI, the manual, the wiki and so on.

It's very frustrating when users don't know why something "doesn't work" when actually it does, but in a different way.

Same thing when trying to edit zipped samples. There's a reason why you can't, but it's not made clear to the user.

Posted Mon 19 Jan 15 @ 7:21 am
groovindj wrote :
So it's not a bug, it's a feature....Things like this should be made clearer in the software GUI, the manual, the wiki and so on.

1++++ for that.

I tried this for nearly half a year, and the solution is so simple.
Sometimes the "bug" is between the keys and the chair ;o)

Posted Mon 19 Jan 15 @ 8:48 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
To be honest I have no idea either why Haui's method would work.
When using Reload tag, it doesn't matter if the comment tag was filled in already or not, it will use the one from the tag anyway (when getCommentFromTags is enabled)

The problem shown in the more recent screenshots also seems to be a completely different problem from the problem in the opening post.
(The original problem was that 'Reload tags' would not update the comment field, and this was a bug that had been fixed somewhere around build 2080 I think)

The problem in the more recent posts is different (as can be seen by the screenshot of the File Info, both the comment that vdj read from the file and the one currently in the database are the same, so there is nothing for reload to change)
The problem is, as shown by the last screenshot, that the file has multiple comment fields, in which case there is no 'correct' answer for which one vdj should take.

One explanation for why Haui's method may work is when setTagsAuto is enabled. In this case pressing OK after deleting the comment tag would also update the tag, possibly deleting the unwanted comment tag. A reload after this would then possibly load one of the remaining comment tags, which may be the right one.
Keep in mind that if setTagsAuto is indeed enabled, it may be risky to remove the comment field of multiple files at once, since if one only has one comment field it would actually delete the good one from the file.

Posted Mon 19 Jan 15 @ 8:56 am
I see (via Google) that ID3 v2.3 supports multiple comment tags, so this is IMO still a VDJ issue.

Why does VDJ not have the option/ability to read and/or choose from multiple comments, if it's possible to have them in a file?

Posted Mon 19 Jan 15 @ 9:06 am
67%