Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Sharing an Automix HELP

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Okay guys so I've made a big playlist which is all Automixed (my girlfriend wanted to have a continuous mix for her party but doesn't have decks or anything)
so iv'e made this mix but as luck would have it my laptop is due to die (battery starting to give out) I'm not going to buy a new laptop or replace the battery due to money issues, so my question is this...

Can i send an automix to another computer?

I've managed to send the play list the her computer and play it through her VirtualDJ, that's all absolutely fine no worries as I've copied the 'm3u' file of the playlist and all the original songs, but it just plays as a playlist for example in iTunes would play, one song after the other without any cross-fade/mixing. I cant repeat this process as its quite a long playlist which i have spent some time nicely mixing the songs together using the Automix Editor, so i would like to know how to get my EXACT auto mix onto a different computer's VirtualDJ.

Thanks very much in advance.

Posted Sun 07 Dec 14 @ 2:45 pm
might need to send the database to the other pc as well so it knows all the edits you have made

Posted Sun 07 Dec 14 @ 3:47 pm
The database file is transferred onto the other computer, I have the entire playlist in order all the songs play fine, just all the work I've done on the automised is gone,

Do I need to place the database file in a specific location on the new computer?

Posted Sun 07 Dec 14 @ 3:50 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Hmm it saves something but I can't find where,

*ok found it*
C:\Users\YourMachine\Documents\VirtualDJ\Playlists

you'll find the playlists there, you might have to do some text editing, Ctrl+H will help

Posted Sun 07 Dec 14 @ 4:07 pm
Thanks, I already have managed to copy my playlist onto the new computer, what it is missing is all the automixing I have done, any help?

Posted Sun 07 Dec 14 @ 4:13 pm
Did you use the AM editor? I don't think it records that stuff, if you have the playlist and automix set to the same "guess" it did when it was set the tracks, then you should expect the same results.

Posted Sun 07 Dec 14 @ 4:25 pm
Sorry I don't understand (quite new to this)

I'll take you through everything so we're on the same page.

1) I have a big automix playlist, each song has a nice transition to the next song which I have made using the 'automix editor'

2) I have transferred my entire virtual dj over to the new computer without any problems, except one.

3) although my playlist has been transferred over, the actual transitions between songs are just instant rather than perfectly faded which I have already done.

I do not understand why I am able to transfer the playlist but it 'forgets' to transfer my pre made automix crossfades/transitions.

Sorry for all this please help me ahah

Posted Sun 07 Dec 14 @ 4:49 pm

Posted Sun 07 Dec 14 @ 7:33 pm
That would have been my guess too - that the Automix POIs would be stored in the database.

N.B. the main database is (for VDJ 8) database.xml and it would need to be copied to the default VDJ working directory.

You would also need to ensure that all your tracks are stored in exactly the same location as they were on the other computer, otherwise the database won't be able to find them.

If you haven't copied database.xml or have put it in a different location, and/or you've put your tracks into a different folder then you will have issues.

The setup needs to be an exact clone of the original setup.

Posted Mon 08 Dec 14 @ 5:16 am
I gotta pipe in on this one
I agree with user****. If i save a playlist that I've tweaked and made nice n sweet in the AM editor, reload it sometime else ..... wait with baited breath for my smooth transitions ... boom
the playlist just get played back according to whatever the current setting is in AM.
I think it only gets saved as a playlist, not as a one off AM. I gave up on it a long time ago. I think the only workaround is to record the AM as a single file, but I'm not into that.
edit
just tried it again ... and it worked as it should, even with 20 seconds fades, I'll test further ...

Posted Mon 08 Dec 14 @ 5:56 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
"one of the devs said the automix info was saved in the database"

Interestingly the vdj playlist contains more information than normal playlists. Hence it cannot be imported directly into Traktor 2.7. The extra info, some of which relates to mixing needs deleting. Hence at least part of the mix type is contained in the playlist.

Open the playlist in a text editor and have a look.

Posted Mon 08 Dec 14 @ 6:31 pm
@bigron .. not sure what you mean they look like standard m3u files to me???

Posted Mon 08 Dec 14 @ 6:45 pm
I don't think work done with the AM editor is saved, other than the track order.

the list is just a m3u and I can't see any fade info.

Posted Tue 09 Dec 14 @ 12:03 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)