Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: get_bpm

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

hi all, im testing out the new get_bpm but need a little hand here...

do i put it in an action? as in..
<text dx="-5" width="85" size="28" color="white" weight="bold" align="right" scroll="yes" action="get_bpm"/>
or put it in format?

Posted Fri 28 Nov 14 @ 8:42 pm
Dodge57PRO InfinityMember since 2009
the good script is :
action="get bpm" (without the _)
or
format="`get bpm`"

Posted Fri 28 Nov 14 @ 9:17 pm
hi thanks for getting back to me so quick..
tried with and without the _ but i just get the scanned BPM.. im looking for the local bpm which i understood is if your track changes tempo the bpm number will change to reflect this.. (as in Dexys Midnight Runners - Come On Eileen)

Posted Fri 28 Nov 14 @ 9:26 pm
The "local" BPM readout will not change unless you have used the BPM editor to manually assign new BPM anchor points wherever the tempo fluctuatues.

As a test (some time ago) I went through Car Wash and did just that. The "local" BPM then checks the new anchor points and changes when necessary.

Unfortunately it doesn't actually analyse the waveform "live" and determine the BPM as the track plays.

It's a lot of work adding the points manually!

Posted Sat 29 Nov 14 @ 5:48 am
it is.. sound like a whole lotta work for not much return..
when i noticed the get_bpm thingy i had hoped it'd work like Atomixmp3 did with local bpm. (a feature that was never brought over to virtualdj)

Posted Sat 29 Nov 14 @ 9:36 am
I agree it would be nice to have a genuine live readout - because then it would enable you to see which tracks had variations.

As it is now, you have to either know in advance or carefully study the CBG of each track.

Ideally VDJ would be smart enough to see variations and put new anchors in automatically (a la Ableton Live).

Live doesn't just intelligently add anchors. It then uses them to pull the waveform into line and correct tempo fluctuations.

If VDJ could do that, it would be the prize winning feature! As yet no other DJ software does it (as far as I'm aware).

Posted Sat 29 Nov 14 @ 9:46 am
Dodge57PRO InfinityMember since 2009
I do not understand your question correctly, but to display dynamic BPM is :
format = "% Pbpmex"

Posted Sat 29 Nov 14 @ 10:31 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)