Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Duplicates in Virtual Folders

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I've had this problem before and I have it again. Using VDJ 8.0.0 pc build 2048.868

I have two laptops.

I backup my c:\users\<username>\music\* folders and c:\users\<username>\Documents\VirtualDj\* folders from Laptop1 to an external USB Drive.

I then copy these back to the same location on laptop2, which has the same username, so the paths are all the same.

Then I fire up VDJ but when I look at my Virtual Folders they now contain two entries for each song. When I view the folder file in notepad, it has only one entry per song.

How do I get just one line per entry back on Laptop2?

Posted Wed 26 Nov 14 @ 3:47 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
and both entries/links of the same song from the Virtual folder load fine ? Or just one of them ?

Posted Wed 26 Nov 14 @ 5:56 pm
djdad wrote :
and both entries/links of the same song from the Virtual folder load fine ? Or just one of them ?

Yes, I just tried it. I dragged one to the left deck, the other to the right deck. Both play fine.

I will add that if I right mouse click the Virtual folder, go to Batch, Analyaze for BPM etc. that both titles highlight the same way as it goes through the contents of the folder.

Posted Wed 26 Nov 14 @ 6:12 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
The actual songs are on a different drive?
In that case perhaps there's a duplicate of the virtual folders on that drive in the VirtualDJ folder

Posted Thu 27 Nov 14 @ 4:32 am
Adion wrote :
The actual songs are on a different drive?
In that case perhaps there's a duplicate of the virtual folders on that drive in the VirtualDJ folder

No, there is only one copy of my music in C:\USERS\<username>\MUSIC\*

If you play a song, both entries get the red line through them to indicate they've been played. And this *only* affects Virtual Folders that I've created. Playlists are fine. The general music list is fine (if you expand the Music Folder). But VIRTUAL FOLDERS that I've created have duplicate entries for every song.

Posted Thu 27 Nov 14 @ 7:18 am
Is there no solution to this problem?

Sure makes me unhappy that I spent $345+ on the software when there are no solutions for this issue which *IS* a problem for me.

Posted Wed 17 Dec 14 @ 1:39 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Give it time mate, It's an annoyance not a show stopper, sometimes the (atomix) fixes require you to reimport to fix it at your end, (There's also bugs that can be confirmed but aren't common nor easy to fix, {Slipmode & setting a cue for example +4month}
By any chance on machine 2 do you have showM3u as tracks set to yes? (I can't remember the exact name but search option M3U and you can confirm or deny.

Posted Wed 17 Dec 14 @ 1:59 pm
If you do have other drives in the system, could you still check if they contain a VirtualDJ folder in the root, and if so, if it possibly contains the virtual folders with the same name?

Posted Thu 18 Dec 14 @ 6:21 am
locodog wrote :
Give it time mate, It's an annoyance not a show stopper, sometimes the (atomix) fixes require you to reimport to fix it at your end, (There's also bugs that can be confirmed but aren't common nor easy to fix, {Slipmode & setting a cue for example +4month}
By any chance on machine 2 do you have showM3u as tracks set to yes? (I can't remember the exact name but search option M3U and you can confirm or deny.

Yeah, definitely an annoyance.

I'm thinking I'll just make those virtual folders a Playlist instead as the playlists seem to backup and restore without problems.

I have showM3u set to NO.

Posted Thu 18 Dec 14 @ 7:16 am
Adion wrote :
If you do have other drives in the system, could you still check if they contain a VirtualDJ folder in the root, and if so, if it possibly contains the virtual folders with the same name?

I don't have other drives.

Things are going from C: on laptop1 (win7) to C: on laptop2 (win8) with the same username.

I think I will use playlists instead of virtual folders for now.

Posted Thu 18 Dec 14 @ 7:18 am
You did mention an usb drive in the first post though.
This is not connected when you opened the virtual folder?

Posted Thu 18 Dec 14 @ 8:03 am
Adion wrote :
You did mention an usb drive in the first post though.
This is not connected when you opened the virtual folder?

No. I backup TO the USB drive from Laptop1, and then I just copy the files from the USB drive onto LapTop2 in the same location.

I give up on this one. Doesn't seem like it will be fixed so I guess using Playlists instead of Virtual Folders is the crappy solution here.

Posted Wed 07 Jan 15 @ 8:02 am
So at the time of starting vdj, c:\ is the only drive letter in my computer?
If the xml really includes the file only once then a copy of the virtual folder on another drive is the only explanation I can see.

Posted Wed 07 Jan 15 @ 8:51 am
Adion wrote :
So at the time of starting vdj, c:\ is the only drive letter in my computer?
If the xml really includes the file only once then a copy of the virtual folder on another drive is the only explanation I can see.

Right. I thought I had clearly explained this in my original message. It makes no sense. I even check the xml files and they are all normal with only one copy.

I give up.

Posted Thu 08 Jan 15 @ 12:01 pm
I'd I had something like this with xp/win7 when they changed to /user/ paths. Itunes and viritual dj saw them as 2 files try it with music outside of a core system directory. It's prob something goofy like that.

Posted Sat 09 May 15 @ 7:22 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)