Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Maintain datase on seperate PC

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi there,

I'm new to VDJ 8 - and it is really looking nice - and im almost ready to go and use VDJ 8 as my DJ playout software.

I'm sitting right now with one question/issue.

My DJ machine is not suitiable for editing, adding new tracks etc. - i prefer to do that on a seperate production PC, when i can mess around with cue points, playlists etc.

I have played around with almost all the advanced settings (browser settings). I have noticed that VDJ i seeing all my files on my drives, also on my C drive, so if i'm seeing a file on
my C drive there is information added to the database.xml file, however i only want files placed on the drive letter "H" to be added to the database XML file. On my DJ setup PC
i also have the drive letter "H" as my music working library, and i have a tool installed so the files on the two Pc's always is excatly the same.

So how do i get around this issue the correct way, the idea is that when i'm done with my editing etc. i like to be able to just transfer the database.xml file to the other PC, and then
all should just Work as a charm :) as mentioned i believe i have been around all the settings in the browser section, also the getTageAuto etc. but the file information end up in the
XML file anyway.

Thanks in advance,
Mikael, Denmark

Posted Wed 15 Oct 14 @ 2:48 pm
if all the drive letters are the same and files in the same locations transferring the database.xml will transfer just the music database including cue info to the other pc if u need playlists and other stuff like settings you might just consider transferring the entire folder located here "C:\Users\(your username)\Documents\VirtualDJ" to the other pc

Posted Thu 16 Oct 14 @ 3:25 pm
prezPRO InfinityMember since 2005
yes, but one downside is that VDJ is still not "portable" friendly.
I have my music on external HDs, I back up the entire drive, and make sure it is assigned on my DJ rigs with the same drive letter, but it shouldn't have to.

GoodSync is a program that backs up data, it is smart enough to know if the external drive plugged in has been assigned "N:" or "P:" it will identify the drive properly regardless of the assigned drive letter.
I'm unsure as to why VDJ is unable to do the same, especially with so many of us using external and portable drives and devices and moving from rig to rig.

Posted Wed 29 Oct 14 @ 1:53 pm
VirtualDj stores information for each media file on the drive it belongs. You don't need to mess around copying database files if you use external drives.
For external drives the information is stored inside the "VirtualDj" folder on the root of the drive.
So, if you take this drive and plug it in on another system running VirtualDj all the information about your files, Virtual Folders, e.t.c. is automatically recognized. Even if the drive has different letter!!!

The only "exception" are m3u playlists. Playlists contain the full path to the song. So, if you use playlists then the drive must have the same letter as well.
However VirtualDj 8 is smart enough to parse the playlist and if all it's files belong to the connected drive then it will disregard the drive letter. But usually this is an exception.

PS: M3U playlist is a standard format and as such there are specific rules on how to save the files contained within it. So, if you create a playlist that contains tracks from H: drive and save the playlist on C: drive the file MUST have "absolute" paths for the files.

Posted Thu 30 Oct 14 @ 7:38 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
if you take this drive and plug it in on another system running VirtualDj all the information about your files, Virtual Folders, e.t.c. is automatically recognized.

There was a post recently which mentioned that the order files are only saved to the internal drive, even when using an external library/database.

This means that using an external drive on another computer results in a different folder order.

Posted Thu 30 Oct 14 @ 8:18 am
PhantomDeejay, groovindj
yes, you are both correct, but... I have a drive (a complete MIRROR of another) that works on my desktop perfectly.... I take that drive and plug it into my laptop (force Drive Manager to keep it "N:") so yes, my playlists work properly... and 10 minutes ago it was working fine on the desktop, and I have no database on the laptop.
the drive is "N:" on both units... one with a data base and one without.
I Have 2 different drives that work flawlessly on both desktop and laptop... all with the exact same library and database (all Drive mapped to "N:")

BUT, that 3rd drive only works properly on the desktop.... can you tell me why? it makes no sense.
I have used my drives on other (friends) DJ systems and my database works on their setups... worked gigs with them flawlessly (That was VDJ7 then) but, how is it I have a drive that works on one setup but not others?
I have literally cloned the drive from other backups and used it... but it only works on a single setup. (desktop) neither of my laptops get the database.... but the images I cloned it from work on all computers.

it is a head scratcher.

Posted Tue 11 Nov 14 @ 1:34 pm
Is this drive NTFS formatted ?

If yes, please check it's file permissions and make sure that "Everyone" is set to FULL ACCESS

Posted Tue 11 Nov 14 @ 6:22 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :

If yes, please check it's file permissions and make sure that "Everyone" is set to FULL ACCESS

yes, its NTFS... I will check the permissions on it.
its possible, but I'm not locked out of anything, just that the database never loads on the laptops, the library is there and I can browse my folders and files, just that the DB is empty, and it has to read all the tags again, but I'll make sure the access is there for the whole drive.

Posted Tue 11 Nov 14 @ 8:50 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :

Bingo!
it was a Security issue, needed to add Everyone to full access for the drive. (the other drives had it enabled, which is why they worked.)
works flawlessly now.
thanks for the assistance.

Posted Thu 13 Nov 14 @ 5:11 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)