Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: How do i keep 2 laptops in synch

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi, when I used VDJ7 was easy to keep both laptops (main & backup) in synch as I just copied the music database from my main laptop to my backup and my VDJ folder was on dropbox which synched all of my history, playlists etc. I need to have history, playlists, virtual folders, etc in synch so how do I do this in VDJ8

Thanks

Posted Mon 29 Sep 14 @ 7:13 am
Have you tried doing it the same way?

Posted Mon 29 Sep 14 @ 11:46 am
Of course I have! But I can't get the two machines to stay in synch

Posted Tue 30 Sep 14 @ 4:22 am
I remember being told a long time ago that VDJ 8 doesn't use the registry - which means things like pointing VDJ to an alternative data folder are not possible.

To keep two systems in sync now, you'd have to copy the folder (with contents) from one computer to the other on a regular basis.

Posted Tue 30 Sep 14 @ 4:45 am
remember that the V8 database is on a different folder now, copying the older database will do you no good.

Posted Tue 30 Sep 14 @ 3:11 pm
Hence the reason for my question...

What do I need to do to keep two laptops in synch??????

Could someone from Atomix answer this question please.

Posted Wed 01 Oct 14 @ 6:29 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Just make sure you are using the same Username for both laptops.
Copy your VirtualDJ folder of the folder Documents to the Documents folder of your 2nd Laptop.

Make every 2nd or 3rd (external) drive get the same drive letter as on your 1st laptop.

Job done.

Now you could manualy copy everything betweens these two laptops everytime you change something, or... you could use a syncing software that syncs your master laptop with your 2nd laptop.
Or create a batch file, that does the job.

Posted Wed 01 Oct 14 @ 6:57 am
Yes, you could use some util software that constantly monitors the VDJ folder for changes, and backs up to the cloud if a change occurs.

Then rather than running VDJ directly from a shortcut, you could have the shortcut run a script that downloads the VDJ folder from the cloud, then runs VDJ.

If the above is done on both machines then the cloud (or a NAS etc) should always have the latest data.

IWBN if it was all possible from within VDJ, and those that wanted to use another dir could specify it in settings.xml - but right now, this is what we've got.

Posted Wed 01 Oct 14 @ 7:18 am
PachN wrote :
Just make sure you are using the same Username for both laptops.
Copy your VirtualDJ folder of the folder Documents to the Documents folder of your 2nd Laptop.

Make every 2nd or 3rd (external) drive get the same drive letter as on your 1st laptop.

Job done.

Now you could manualy copy everything betweens these two laptops everytime you change something, or... you could use a syncing software that syncs your master laptop with your 2nd laptop.
Or create a batch file, that does the job.

Shame this doesn't work. Anybody know how to achieve this?

Posted Thu 09 Oct 14 @ 7:00 am
Which part doesn't work?

PhantomDeejay has stated in recent posts that it is apparently possible to set the data folder for VDJ 8 to be somewhere other than Documents\VirtualDJ - so void my first comment (which was based on an earlier post by Adion).

Your previous method (dropbox) should still work, once you've modified the default location from within the registry - plus it would also affect VDJ 7.

Posted Thu 09 Oct 14 @ 7:21 am
Where is your music? "C" drive? Do both computers have the exact same disk layout?

Posted Thu 09 Oct 14 @ 1:51 pm
zacek100 wrote :
Where is your music? "C" drive? Do both computers have the exact same disk layout?

My music is on the G drive on both machines and yes both machines have the same disk layout. The executables are in "C:\Program Files (x86)\VirtualDJ\" on both machines and the Virtual DJ folder is in dropbox.

Posted Fri 17 Oct 14 @ 6:11 am
Scrinson wrote :
the Virtual DJ folder is in dropbox.

It is, or it was (with VDJ 7)?

If you had it set up that way for 7, then my understanding is that installation of VDJ 8 will set the data folder location back to Documents\VirtualDJ as it uses the same registry key as 7. You'd need to edit the registry manually in order to set it back to your dropbox location, as you can't do it from within VDJ 8.

Posted Fri 17 Oct 14 @ 12:47 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)